r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need advice with battery decision

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need advice with battery decision
    Posted: 19 May 2019 at 5:43pm
I am thinking about replacing my single battery, I think it's a 12 volt, correct me if I'm wrong, with 2 6 volts. A friend said he did that and it increased his battery life. I'm going to do some traveling and might be pulling off the road for an overnighter and I want the lights and fan to work, and not have a dead battery in the morning. And I hope to do some off grid camping and maybe get a suitcase solar kit to keep the batteries up. Any advice or suggestions appreciated, along with what brand and where to buy the batteries. I am trying to avoid camping dealers as they are a bit pricy, but maybe Walmart or something?
Kingskerswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 9:19pm
I have just done a review on this as I also want to change from one 12V to two 6V.  I am sure there are many people who have their favourite batteries but what I have decided on is two Duracell GC2 (6V) golf cart batteries.  
These batteries weigh 66lb each so a new battery box suitable to take the batteries and structure to support the additional weight is necessary.   As this will be adding a further ~70lb to the trailer hitch, check that you have capacity.
I have chosen the Century Plastics dual GC2 battery box after another podder kindly published what he had done.  
Check out what you have to do to connect these two 6V batteries in the proper manner, you will need a battery cable jumper to make the series connection.  I think a battery disconnect is also a good addition.

These are links to where I will be going:
https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/golf-cart/un=branded/6v-golf-cart-battery/na/na/sligc115
https://allbatterysalesandservice.com//catalog/product/view/id/16102

Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 7:48pm
I was talking to a friend today who had just put in two 6V batteries. He has a bigger rig than me and didn't use big golf cart batteries, just regular size ones. Couldn't I do that?
Kingskerswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 1:02am
Not sure what you mean by "regular size", can you be a bit more specific?  Do you know who the manufacturer is and what their battery type/designation/format (ie. GC2) is for this battery?
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 8:25pm
They are at the batteries plus store here. The same ones you have pictured. I measured and I believe they will fit. Do you know? I have a 2016 171. Are all tongue sizes for batteries the same? Do you know if the batteries you have pictured (the Duracell) and the plastic box will fit on mine? I think my friend had just put two regular 6V batteries in his. I'm not sure they were Marine or deep cycle. The Duracell store said they only have the golf cart batteries in 6 6V for RV.Like what you pictured. Thanks
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 11:21am
After talking to another guy this morning, he's got me thinking about lithium ion batteries. What can you tell me about them? He says it's a better, but more expensive choice...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic