r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Low Point Drain Tubes-R177 HRE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low Point Drain Tubes-R177 HRE
    Posted: 31 May 2019 at 8:24pm
Does anyone know why we have thes two drain tubes sticking out below the trailer near the wheel housing on the LHS.  Do they serve any real benefit?  I have never had them on any previous trailer and all it seems to do is add another operation when winterizing as the vertical lines fill with water and need to be opened for draining/antifreeze flushing.  I cannot see these two lines when opened up being able to completely drain the entire system.  Am I on the wrong track or am I missing something?  
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 12:41am
They are low point drains, when you open them you also have to open the faucets flush toilet and shower, it lets air in the lines so most of the water is able to drain.
If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
Kingskerswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 7:47pm
Thanks for your input.  So, if I am reading this correctly with these low point drains winterizing becomes a two step process; 
1) open taps and crawl under trailer to remove drain plugs, drain water and replace plugs.
2) switch to bypass mode on HWT, attach suction hose to pump input and and feed plumbing antifreeze through all lines until seen at all faucets/shower head/toilet valve (and fill traps)

It just seems to me that these low point drains add no real value, particularly as they act as low point reservoirs for water accumulation which means they have to be opened to remove water to allow proper migration of plumbing antifreeze...Just curious  
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 8:22pm
I put on shut off valves so I don't have to crawl under the pod. I open the valves to drain the lines, then blow out the lines, suck in antifreeze then I open the valves until pink staff comes out then close.

If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2019 at 5:05pm
Thanks for info and pic.  Just so I understand correctly I presume you are still sucking the pink directly via the pump inside the trailer?
Our RP177 has vertical lines that drop down from under the sink area so I will either add proper valves or just simply remove the lines if I can convince myself that they are of no real value.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 11:06pm
Well, earlier in the year I finally decided to take up Marwayne's suggestion and add extenders and 1/4 turn shut offs to the low point drains so I don't have to grovel underneath in the fall.  This also compliments a similar mod done earlier on the fresh water tank outlet.  Not sure if anyone is really interested as I don't see many questions or comments on this site these days, but what the heck just in case someone finds some interest in this, here goes, pictures included.   

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic