r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leaking AC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaking AC
    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 4:44pm
My AC has been leaking. Inside. Not much just a little bit. It was during a time of rain and high humidity. Clearing some now, and it has stopped. I pulled the little flat filters out and cleaned them. A friend told me I could tighten down the screws holding it on the roof. But on my Dometic roof AC (2016 171) I don't see a way to do it. Anybody know?
Kingskerswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 12:52am
From the inside of the Rpod you have to first remove the ABS molded cover on the ceiling.  If you look carefully at the cover you will find some retaining screws recessed in the cover, cant remember how many, remove them and pull the cover off.  You will then expose the main retention bolts, tighten carefully and equally.  Not sure if this will solve your problem but it is a necessary first step.  
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 1:24pm
There are two small recessed phillip head screws that I can find. One was missing in the front. I took the back one out. But the cover didn't want to pull off. I just received an 8' telescoping ladder I ordered online. It should allow me to take a look on top. Could I tighten them from on top? Somebody said don't tighten them too much. Good idea. Could it be a caulking problem up there? Or something else? I don[t think it's normal for the AC to drip in rain and high humidity.But if I knew the answers I wouldn't have to be here!
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 2:20pm
The pic shows the screws you have to remove to take off the inside cover.

If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 8:14pm
Marwayne: Wow! they are well hidden! Ok, once I take those out, it just comes right off? Then Tighten 4 screws on each corner?But not too tight, right?
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 10:25pm
Hang on to it or it will land on the floor. 

Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 6:56pm
I still have a small leak so I want to take the cover off. Can you tell me what I can expect to see and what size wrench I'll need? Also will I have to have a friend hold the cover to keep it from falling? Does it come straight off once the screws are out?
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 8:20am
Originally posted by Oliver Oliver wrote:

I still have a small leak so I want to take the cover off. Can you tell me what I can expect to see and what size wrench I'll need? Also will I have to have a friend hold the cover to keep it from falling? Does it come straight off once the screws are out?

outside cover? flat head screwdriver. one person job.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 3:35pm
I had to get a square head screwdriver for the cover. There were only 3 bolts, the lone rear one was wet so I suspect it. I tightened all 3 equally about a quarter to half turn. Dry so far. I'm going to keep the cover off overnight and watch it just to make sure.
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 5:24pm
There should be 4 bolts one on each corner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic