r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harbor Freight Solar Panel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddoxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 6:52pm
I suppose I could just place or mount the controller just inside the cargo door near the plug-in, and just let the cables lead out when in use.  Thanks for all the feedback.
LFT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LFT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 7:58pm
Probably exactly what I'm going to do. I'm very reluctant to drill holes in the roof to mount panels up there. My dealer told me $1600 to install the solar, you can buy the kit for $650 that goes on the roof, 150 watts I belive. The 100 watt panels from HF cost me $150 2 weeks ago.
L.Thomas
maddoxaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddoxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 6:14pm
That's exactly what I did, I just stored the controller inside the back cargo compartment, which is right beside the SOTS plug.  Worked great, stayed dry throughout a heavy downpour.  (I closed the door but did not latch it, so as to not stress the wire.)
john_benham View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_benham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 12:04pm
Mr. Thomas,

I installed a solar panel on the roof of my R-Pod 179. It was not that difficult. Being on the roof, one does not have to be concerned on storage or setup each time you stop and camp. My installation was done over five-years ago. Now you can get a 260 watt for the same price. With our solar panel, I never connect up to the commercial places electricity outlets. Sometimes they put you in a different spot with no electricity that is cheaper. Most of our camping is at Forest Service and Park Service campgrounds.

The only time one would need outside mains is with the air conditioning.

http://www.rpodnation.com/solar-panel-150-w_topic4373_post42896.html?KW=solar+panel#42896

Hope this helps out.

John B.
Spokane
Kingskerswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 1:34pm
Hi John Benham,
Just curious as to what methodology you adopted for your solar panel install (attachment in particular).  I will be doing something similar next year and although I have some plans clear in my head it would be interesting to understand what you did...

Thank you, BarryK
mikebettin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebettin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 12:36pm
I have had my Harbor Freight solar for 2 seasons and love them.  I purchased one of the flat plastic totes that slide under a bed.  The 4 panels layered with bubble wrap and all the other hardware fits inside and slides right into the rear pass thru.  I like that I can setup the panels anywhere in the sun and dont have to place the Pod in the sun.  I have run my batteries down to 65% by running the heater on several cold nites and by aiming the panels at the morning sun and recharged to 100% in about 3 to 4 hours.
2015 178 Forest River Edition
2012 Jeep Liberty TV
maddoxaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddoxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 12:46pm
Not only are they handy, but they appear to be bear-resistant. 

Just kidding, but when I used them a few weeks ago, it was raining around 8pm (thank goodness), so I was inside the pod reading when it started rocking back and forth.  Turns out it was a 350-400 pound black bear that later demolished the 'bear proof' trash bin elsewhere in the campground.  He had to walk right around the solar panels and wires to give the pod a few shoves.  

I left the next morning. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic