r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help needed with solar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help needed with solar
    Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 1:56pm
I have just installed 2 GC 6V batteries. Harbor Freight is the only local place I know of that sells solar panels, so I thought I would drive over there and take a look. What should I be looking for? Or should I stay away from that place? I heard they had some cheap stuff. I guess Zamp is on the other end of the spectrum, and too expensive. I would like to have a suitcase solar kit that is user friendly and I can just plug into my wired for solar Rpod. My goal is to try to keep up my batteries for as long as possible for off grid. What brand and what amp should I get?
maddoxaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddoxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 8:25pm
I just purchased and set up the Harbor Freight kit, it's on sale for under $150.  However, it's not a suitcase style, it consists of 4 panels, each with a 25-watt capacity for a total of 100 watts.  Together they're kind of heavy to move around often, but individually very easy to set up.  You'll need an SAE-style extension cord (they're all over Amazon) to connect to the Solar on the Side plug on the pod.  Just cut off the battery clamps and one end of the SAE cable, hard wire the positive and negative wires on each together (check the polarity of your unit, I believe the positive is on top on the rpod plug). 

I set up the system for 3 days to check it, and it kept my batteries charged despite running everything I could think of on the camper.  Basically, you can expect that system to recharge your batteries daily unless (1) You use a ton of DC power, such as the furnace fan running constantly, or (2) The weather is truly crappy. (Some clouds it will still charge, just not as fully.)

I'm planning to set one of the panels up as a permanent thing to keep the batteries charged while stored in my side yard.  Will report on how that works.
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 2:14pm
Just got back from Harbor Freight. They didn't have anything I liked. Most of their stuff is cheapo. I want something that is lighter. And easier to handle and store. Like a suitcase style that you just open up..and just plug in..the camping place is near there, and the owner said I need to know what amps are being used like with the gas detector and carbon monoxide detector, lights, fantastic fan, etc. before I know what panels I need. Do you know?
RoverPodder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoverPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 7:11pm
Get the 100 watt Renogy suitcase. It's not "cheapo".

There are posts on the forum that detail amp usage.

http://www.rpodnation.com/electrical-current-draw_topic3488.html
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 7:54pm
Thanks RP
LFT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LFT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 10:21am
I purchased the Harbor Freight 100 watt solar kit, it works great in my opinion, not cheapo in the least. Consumer Reports rates it very high. We just camped in Yellowstone, no hook ups, temp in the low 30's at night with the furnace running on and off all night. The solar panels kept my batteries (2-12v) completely charged up. Comes with everything you need and I store them in the box up against the back of my pick up cab. Set up is less than 5 minutes. Each 25 watt panel has it's own 'kickstand' makes it easy to reposition towards the sun. $150 was better than the $1600 the dealer wanted to install the Go Power unit on my 2020 R•Pod 178. If you try to connect through the existing solar hookup on the trailer (now on the roof instead of the tongue on the 2020 trailers) you still need a charge controller which is not installed on the trailer, the Harbor Freight package comes with one.
L.Thomas
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic