r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > RpodNation Downtime and Maintenance > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tire pressure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire pressure
    Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 4:10pm
So, I purchased new tires for my 176T. They are Goodyear Endurance E rated. The side of the tires say "For Maximum load inflate to 80 PSI", but the trailer sticker says inflate to 65 PSI

On a car you would follow what the door sticker says, regardless of what the tire may say. Are trailer tires different and you should go by the tire and not the trailer? Not sure what the correct pressure should actually be. There's a big difference between 65 and 80!
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 5:24pm
You bought e rated tires, no Pod comes with e rates. The POD can't determine your choice.  Go with the e rated tire pressure , 80 psi.  You'll be fine.
Mike Carter
2015 178
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 8:43am
If you go to the GYE website, they have an inflation chart based on ACTUAL load vs rated load. It will require knowing how much your pod weighs when ready to camp, not brochure weight.

The problem with going with a E rated TT tire, is that the tires are part of a "system" that includes the axle design and strength, the frame strength, the floor strength, etc, all to balance out and provide a ride and NVH level that the Pod can survive. Going to a much stiffer sidewall tire can upset that designed balance.

While I generally advise against it, every owners experience will be unique.. On the Airstream side of my life, switching to E rated tires almost always results in an owner finding popped rivets after towing... Because to much vibration and shock gets transferred to the trailer, that used to be absorbed by sidewall flex.

All that said, you will probably be fine.. go find that chart, get your rig weighed, Pod On.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 6:50pm
Good answer Furpod, makes sense to me.  I had same issue with my 4 wheel Airstream back in old days.  I have found sweet spot is D rates, not C's or E's.  Have issue with buying Es and running them underinflated.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic