r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sweating Windows

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapsters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sweating Windows
    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 8:54pm
For the past three years I have used my 2011, R-Pod 171 for cool weather camping during Sept. - Oct. in Northern Ontario. My problem is the windows all sweat, the bedroom windows in particular sweat so heavily that the bedding, mattress and even the plywood under the mattress get wet, creating a mold issue. I have tried using the furnace to raise the room heat without getting too hot in bed, tried it with the roof vent open and partially opened. The furnace which is situated at the kickplate level below the sink cabinet, seems to only keep the window directly across, clear of humidity. Any suggestions. 
Kingskerswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 1:46am
Just curious and I don't want to seem patronising but are you sure that it is not a water leak?  I know you said that it happens in the Sept-Oct timeframe but was it raining also?   I am only mentioning this as we  experienced water leaks from the rear externally mounted plastic spoiler that resulted in a damp mattress and supporting plywood also in the vicinity below the rear window.  It took me three days to pinpoint where our leak was coming from but after I re-sealed the spoiler it fixed our problem.  Spoiler leaks are well known on these R-Pods.  
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 8:07am
Crack a window, crack the roof vent.. we have had 2 adults, 170 pounds of dog, outside temps into the teens, no sweating issues. It's about cross ventilation and air movement.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
kapsters View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapsters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 8:49am
Thanks Kingskerswell, for your response, I am very sure that it is a condensation issue since all the windows had heavy condensation issues. I started wiping down the windows with a rag each morning, and even had a rag wick going from the rear window frame base into a small container.
As  for the spoiler, I ended up removing it about 4 years ago after the two faced tape portion failed and it was just the spoiler end screws holding it. I chalked the screw holes after removal.
kapsters View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapsters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:05am
Thanks Furpod, I am also wondering if it is a lack of air exchange and an air movement issue.
I was pondering about installing a small 12 volt circulating fan (Computer Fan) to direct air into the sleeping area. The temperature at times during my two week stay did drop below freezing some nights and stayed cool most days. Single glazed windows with metal frames do create a challenge. 
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:54am
Do you have a roof fan?  Keeping mine running on low significantly reduces condensation.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Kingskerswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 12:28am

We don’t have condensation/humidity issues in south central BC but we like to keep cool at night so I can share a couple of ideas that we came up with to keep the air moving. A 120v fan mounted on a swivel below a custom made cabinet (foot of bed) and an alternative small dual 12v fan mounted on the side of the central TV cabinet directed at the head of the bed powered by an independent 12v battery. If we need to boost the airflow we have it set up as an option to run the 120V fan via inverter/independent 12V battery.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic