r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tow electric brake disconnect cable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow electric brake disconnect cable
    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 5:37pm
How does the little brake away cable work? Is there a little battery on the R-pod for it? Where is it?How is it charged? If the brakes lock up as a result of the pen coming out, can you put it back in and keep going?
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 6:47pm
I answered the other post, but simple answer is yes if removed and reinstalled it cuts the 12V off and switch is deactivated until pin is removed again.  I have used my ebrake to hold trailer for short periods when necessary.  Remember when switch is activated it is using 12V from battery.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:19pm
I'm in a campground..Last week when I came in the plug came out. I just discovered it today and if I put it back in, it will run fine and the brakes will not lock up?
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:20pm
The R-pod doesn't have a small hidden battery for that brake purpose?
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:47pm
NO, it runs off the trailer battery.  You have another problem.  With your pin pulled the switch is activated and the trailer brakes are applied.  If that is not happening you have a problem.  You don't have a battery disconnect applied do you?
Mike Carter
2015 178
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 10:34am
The emergency brake activator is the reason it is illegal to tow without the 12v house battery in place. The 12v battery on the tongue of your Pod, that runs the lights etc ALSO is the power source for the emergency brake system.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic