r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

House hook-up question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: House hook-up question
    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 2:19pm
Times are hard. I'm getting kicked out of a State Park and it's shutting down. I have been given permission to hook up to my Sister-in-Law's house. The problem is I don't know if I can use the 30 Amp cord that came with my Pod, and an adaptor to plug into an outside outlet. I don't know anything about electricty. I called a lady who owns an RV dealership and she told me it has to be 30 Amp or I could burn up the AC. But I used it before, the cord and adaptor. to plug into a regular outlet, and the AC ran fine. But she says not to. So I don't know what to do. Somebody told me to hook up to the outlet that the dryer in the house is plugged into. But it's too far away from where I need to park the camper. And I was told not to use an extension because of voltage drop. Anybody got an answer?
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:06pm
Right now my Pod is in a building plugged in to a 110 wall outlet using the 30A cord and an outlet adapter.  The circuit is 20A from circuit breaker in electric panel.  I have not used the AC.  I think it would be close on a 20A circuit, depending on what else is in use.  I have run my AC on a 2K generator with the convertor OFF.  If you try to run the Pod and AC on the outlet and the circuit breaker at panel trips, then you know it won't work.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:14pm
I would not plug into the dryer outlet, dryer outlets are usually 220 and not 110 you will fry everything
electrical in your pod.
If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:30pm
+1, don't do that
Mike Carter
2015 178
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 7:57pm
I understand not to use a hairdryer outlet. Also, some people have wired a 30 amp outlet to a 240 V wiring and that will toast your Pod. And I just sold my generators. I had kept them in a paid storage place for years without using them, and they are a lot of trouble messing with gas, etc. It seems I know more about what not to do, than what to do. I don't know how a house works. Are all outside outlets 120 V? And 20 Amp? If so, I can't use the AC, right? I have to have a 30 Amp plug??
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:30am
Marwayne talking about a clothes dryer, not a hair dryer.  Unless there is a special need for a 240V outdoor plug it is normal that outside outlets are 120.  The amperage of the circuit is determined by the ckt brkr that controls the line the plug is on, normally house outside outlets are 20A. Look at the ckt brkr that controls the plug you want to use.  Yes, you will have to have the 30A power plug adapter to a 120 outlet.  Running the AC is debatable, only you can determine that.

I added a 30A RV plug in outside the building where my Pod sits, I can't estimate cost for you, mine was an easy add, and cost less than $200.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 2:36pm
is that 200 with you doing the work, or electrician?
Riggingslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riggingslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 2:45pm
A typical 110 house circuit is 20 amps and that should be enough to run the standard Rpod air conditioner. You may have a problem if and when another appliance like your refrigerator comes on unless it is running on propane.  Also the circuit you plug into may have other outlets  on it in the house that could over load it.  I would locate the circuit breaker panel and find the breaker for the outlet you want to use.  The home owner should know where it is.  If not knows a good time to learn.  Open the the panel door and see if it is already labeled.  If not you can find it by plugging in a light or anything handy to the outdoor plug and turning it on to verify it works next go to the circuit panel and trip or turn off and on the 110 (smaller switches) one at a time until whatever you plugged in outside turns off.  Do not turn a breaker (switch) on if it is already off. Now you have located the and can safely test the air conditioner.   I would also try to find what else turns off when you turn off that breaker. My house has a freezer on the same circuit as the outdoor plug. Freezers take a lot of power when they first start.    Be prepared to reset anything electronic in the house like clocks and computers when you turn those breakers off and on. 

1. Find the circuit and breaker (switch)
2.  locate everything else using the same breaker if possible
3. limit what else you use in the Rpod when using the air conditioner (run refrigerator on propane)

I am not an electrician.  I have wired my own house and shop with over site from one.  And have done some rewiring in my Rpod and I will post it some day.

Hope this helps.  Better yet I hope a knowledgeable friend, neighbor or follow Rpod-er can come over and lend a hand with your set-up.    
Life in the great Northwest
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:15pm
Oliver - my electrician added my 30A RV Plug.
Mike Carter
2015 178
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic