r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD and Sway bars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpierce220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 9:58am
We always use a sway bar while driving, and it makes me less nervous driving the interstates whenever trucks pass.  It's a cheap investment in helping to keep one sane.  
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
tturbo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 12:57pm
We use WD and for same reasons as above when a big truck goes by, we also have extremely gusty winds in certain areas so just piece of mind.
Tess&Brad
R-Pod 173T
'07 Hyundai Sante Fe V6
Bill and Marie in TX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill and Marie in TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 5:11pm
I used to tow with a 2010 Jeep Liberty and I would say WD/SC is required unless you want to hang on for dear life every time a big truck goes by.  The Jeep is just too light.
Towing with the F250 now, I don't have to use it but I may try it to see if there is a difference.  Better be safe than sorry in light of the small investment.
2011 RP-181G "Wine Pod II"
2011 F-250 6.2L V8
2 Doxies + 1 tiny Corgi = 1 full size dog
podsible dream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote podsible dream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 6:45pm
Towed a couple of times with no sway system, not any problems. The truck has a shell and usually a lot of stuff, so that may make a difference. We have an antisway device that came with the Pod, but I haven 't felt the need for an extra 60 lbs or so on the tongue weight. Let you know next week after our 600 plus RT to Maine and back over some very heavily traveled interstate highways!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP 171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Durango Crew 5.7l Hemi
kmcmurph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmcmurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 12:08pm
I do not use a WDH, but I do have a sway bar. It usually stays under the dinette, and I'll put it on if the weather looks like it is going to be bad. Otherwise, the Expedition does fine without it.
Karl, Kerri and the hounds:: 5.4L '04 Expedition:: 2010 177
cmjmoore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmjmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 5:12pm
The Rpod seems so well balanced that we decided to take our first trip (1200 miles) with out a SB. We had no problem with sway or pulling the pod. Much better than our old Coleman popup. But is a personal choice. Clark
TRI-POD
Me, my Honey & Max our GSP
2013 Surveyor SP 240
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 3:07pm
I use a WDH with sway control even tho' I tow with a full size pickup.  The extra weight of the WDH makes no noticeable difference in towing.  However, when encountering an 18-wheeler coming by at a closing speed of over 100 mph and a side wind of 30 mph, the combined rig doesn't even shudder as it shoots by (an occurrence from just yesterday!)  The WDH also controls the 'bouncing' effect between the Pod and the TV.  The two vehicles act more like a single unit and I don't find as much loose stuff tossed about in the Pod.
tsunami
GaRedneck81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaRedneck81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 5:14pm
I wish I had a WDH; the 172 bounces alot more than my popup ever did. I have a sway bar; but have only used it once. I regularly drive 75-80 MPH without any problems with swaying. I have a Chevy 1500 full size pickup, which pulls the rpod quite nicely.
GaRedneck81
U.S.Navy-Retired
Heavy Chevy 5.7 liter
RP-172
Kennesaw, Ga.
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 8:46pm
We just had an anti swaybar attached to our 2008 Ford Explorer after a bad experience a few weeks ago pulling our 2011 model 177 in some hefty 25+ mile cross-winds in Northern Michigan.  We couldn't get the trailer to track straight unless we stayed 48 mph or slower.  Any faster and both the trailer and towing vehicle would sway back and forth.  We just got back about a few hours ago and had some cross-winds of about 15-17 mph, drove 55-60 mpg and no problems
God's Pod

'11 model 177

'13 Ford Explorer

Jim & Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by tsunami tsunami wrote:

I use a WDH with sway control even tho' I tow with a full size pickup.  The extra weight of the WDH makes no noticeable difference in towing.  However, when encountering an 18-wheeler coming by at a closing speed of over 100 mph and a side wind of 30 mph, the combined rig doesn't even shudder as it shoots by (an occurrence from just yesterday!)  The WDH also controls the 'bouncing' effect between the Pod and the TV.  The two vehicles act more like a single unit and I don't find as much loose stuff tossed about in the Pod.

Excellent point! We've never towed our pod w/o the WDH hooked up until Thursday when I took it a short trip across town to get the pod serviced. I noticed quite a difference in the ride . . . not nearly as smooth as with the WDH and more "porposing". So I got it back home and parked it. The next day, I went out to the pod and was very surprised at how much stuff hand been thrown about. Stuff on the floor, table (which we have never had to collapse down and put away) moved out of place. I couldn't figure it out because I only drove a few miles and never exceeded 45 mph. As soon as I read your message, it hit me that the change in the smoothness of the ride I felt in my TV also resulted in a pod that was moving around more than it ever had before. 

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic