r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod wish list, what we love, what we would love to see
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD and Sway bars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by jato jato wrote:

We just had an anti swaybar attached to our 2008 Ford Explorer after a bad experience a few weeks ago pulling our 2011 model 177 in some hefty 25+ mile cross-winds in Northern Michigan.  We couldn't get the trailer to track straight unless we stayed 48 mph or slower.  Any faster and both the trailer and towing vehicle would sway back and forth.  We just got back about a few hours ago and had some cross-winds of about 15-17 mph, drove 55-60 mpg and no problems

What you never want to happen is to look in your sideview mirror and see your rpod over in the other lane trying to pass you <LOL>.

My opinion is that, while it is certainly possible to pull your trailer all over creation for years and years and never have a single problem, it's worth having antisway for that one time when you're in an emergency situation where it may make a difference as to whether you can keep your rig under control. Maybe someone will cut you off on the Interstate and you have to swerve to avoid an accident. Maybe you can't get up enough speed to merge onto the highway and the car next to you either can't or won't let you in and you have to head for the shoulder or the ditch. Maybe some fool pulls out in front of you or runs a red light and you have to slam on brakes and make an emergency maneuver. True, those kinds of things may never happen to you when you're towing . . . but they might. If something like that happens to me, I want the extra feeling of security and safety that comes from knowing I've done what I can to set up my trailer to behave itself back there.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpierce220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 9:21pm
I had a situation yesterday when we were just a mile from home in a construction zone. A relatively new Lexus cuts me and !Podtástic! off where the road went to one lane. I slammed the breaks, looked behind me and noticed that she was still straight behind me.

I will hardly go anywhere without the sway bar. That event reinforced why I don't.
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
M3rl3n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3rl3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 7:31pm
After doing a lot of research and the fact that we would be pulling our new 177 with a 2005 Acura MDX (rated at 3500 lbs or 4500 lbs if pulling a boat), I decided to get a WDH that used friction pads for sway control. Pulling through southwest Wisconsin during some pretty ugly storms, even with semi's passing both ways, the Pod and MDX barely wiggled. I have some minor adjustments to do to it, but once dialed in with the trailer loaded it should be good to go.

Bottom line for me is why not. If I am not having to fight the vehicle I can enjoy the drive.

Dan

this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 7:11am
Originally posted by M3rl3n M3rl3n wrote:

After doing a lot of research and the fact that we would be pulling our new 177 with a 2005 Acura MDX (rated at 3500 lbs or 4500 lbs if pulling a boat), I decided to get a WDH that used friction pads for sway control. Pulling through southwest Wisconsin during some pretty ugly storms, even with semi's passing both ways, the Pod and MDX barely wiggled. I have some minor adjustments to do to it, but once dialed in with the trailer loaded it should be good to go.

Bottom line for me is why not. If I am not having to fight the vehicle I can enjoy the drive.

Dan

You've got bigger stones that I do with that towing combo.  Good luck and I hope you don't hurt any inocent drivers while you're motoring.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Billy Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 7:56am
Ray, I don't know if you are refering to the T/V or the hitch, or both. I pull a 26 ft trailer with a Reese SC WDH and it works great. My T/V sits level and has no sway. I did get a small amount of sway when not using the WDH with one of the removable friction sway controlers. I much perfer to drive when the hood is not pointing skyward.
2011 Visa 23RBK pulled with 2010 Nissan Titan. 12.5 MPG when towing.
The Most Beautiful Thing In Life Is The Ability To love.
www.BillyAdeliza.homestead.com
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 9:35am
Originally posted by this_is_nascar this_is_nascar wrote:

You've got bigger stones that I do with that towing combo.  Good luck and I hope you don't hurt any inocent drivers while you're motoring.

Why would you say that? What problem do you think he has?

I have a similar setup (Lexus RX400h SUV, factory tow package, w/3,500 pound tow capacity, 177 rpod, and combo WDH/antisway). We've also pulled through through SW Wisconsin as well as the Rockies and the Ozarks in storms, wind, etc.. No problems in nearly 10,000 miles. Plenty of power, no sway, no "porposing" and definitely not any likelihood of hurting innocent drivers.

So why do you believe this setup cannot do the job? Have you tried it?

Inquiring minds want to know.

-- Steve

this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 11:21am
No I haven't tried and never would.  You're basically pulling a ton and a half or so with a car, both of you.  Can you physically do it?  Sure, I guess, since you currently are.  Is it even close to ideal, I'd say no.  I say that because I know what it feels like with my 6500-lb max towning TV pulling my "smaller than your" R-Pod.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by this_is_nascar this_is_nascar wrote:

No I haven't tried and never would.  You're basically pulling a ton and a half or so with a car, both of you.  Can you physically do it?  Sure, I guess, since you currently are.  Is it even close to ideal, I'd say no.  I say that because I know what it feels like with my 6500-lb max towning TV pulling my "smaller than your" R-Pod.

Like you, I haven't driven the OP's setup and have no empirical data about how it performs so I won't be so bold as to tell him whether it's up to the job or not.

As far as my vehicle, I'm still not sure why you feel it's not appropriate for the job. If you're talking about a simple weight-to-weight ratio of the TV vs. the Rpod, my vehicle weighs in around 4,500 pounds which might be close to what your truck weighs so I don't see a "tail wagging the dog" issue there.

If it's HP, my vehicle has a gasoline V-6 (211 HP), a front electric motor (167 HP), and a rear electric motor (68 HP). The total HP available to the Hybrid Synergy Drive is not an additive of those HPs but is still a respectable 268 HP.

If it's torque, my vehicle produces 3,500 lb-ft of torque at launch, obviously due to the high torque electrics and not the V-6.

If it's 0 to 60 acceleration, my vehicle does that in 7.3 seconds, not bad for a 2+ ton vehicle, but again, all due to the high torque electrics.

All of those issues are talked about here:

I can tell you that I have no trouble cruising with the pod at 70-75 mph. However, I don't drive that fast because I don't like stopping for gas at every gas pump. In addition, I can (and have) passed other vehicles going up hill while towing the rpod, both in the Rockies and the Ozarks. I also have plenty of extra torque/power available if I have to go WOT to merge safely into the flow of traffic on the Interstates with the pod.

What am I missing that would keep my vehicle (or any similar SUV) from performing acceptably when towing an Rpod? Lots of folks on this forum tow their Rpods with SUV's of all descriptions (big, small, hybrid, non-hybrid). I know they would be interested, too.

Take care,
-- Steve

Shorty2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shorty2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 10:37am
i have a 2011 177 and I pull it with a
chevy 2500HD diesel. On the I have have gone 60-65 and had no problems. I too would not go any faster than that. I haven't been in any high winds yet.

Diana
retired Roxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retired Roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 2:20am
Haven't been on the forum for awhile. So for new members i tow the 172 behind a jeep grand cherokee, v8, 4 wd. Never used a sway bar, didn 't seem to need one until.... My last trip to the ballon festival in NM. Twice i realized i will need to add a sway bar!.
Retired Roxy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic