r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tent bed on 176T coming loose

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tent bed on 176T coming loose
    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 9:02am
Went on a short trip to Lakeport Michigan. When we were setting up my daughter noticed that the connection for the tent bed to the body had come loose and dropped along the ceiling, allowing you to see outdoors. It appears to push onto a fiberglass spline, which is likely the edge of the opening, and there's a lip that looks like it locks to a trim piece. We pushed it back into position as best we could but could not get the lip to snap into place. It lasted for the trip. When we got home I checked and it's starting to pull out again.
The unit is still under warranty and I've sent a claim to the dealer, but based on past performance...who knows if it will yield any results. It doesn't look to be all that difficult and I can likely repair it myself but want it to stay put, I don't want to have to push it into position every trip. A tip or trick would go a long way.

Anyone have any experience with this? I know the T models weren't all that popular but am hoping someone has knowledge.

Thanks. 

Brownie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 1:34pm
Dealer says it is warranty, but the locations they provided for repair aren't going to work for various reasons, some don't want to mess with it. I told them there's a Camping World repair shop not too far away. The dealer said I can take it there and they will process the entire warranty claim. I have contacted Forest River to make sure I'm heading in the right direction, but need to move quickly as the warranty is weeks away from running out.   
Brownie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 12:49pm
Update: Camping World won't touch it. Vicar's RV is an R-Pod dealer about 30 miles away. I have an appointment with them, unfortunately it's not until November. In the meantime I opened the bed up to make sure it was clean and dry before a few week storage and the seal had come off again. Doing a little sleuth work, I believe I've tracked down the cause. 

The bracket in the corner runs from this point, around the radius and all the way down the side. Note how the rubber seal is pulled out at the end. The other side isn't like this. The seal is at least halfway into the bracket so it's trapped between the bracket and seal. In fact, it looks as if the two end screws visible in the photo are actually through the seal. I've emailed Forest River and my dealer to ask if it's ok for me to repair this myself. It looks stupid-simple and as long as it doesn't jeopardize the warranty I'm game. We have a few months of camping left here and even if my repair isn't permanent it would get me through with less hassle. 

Here's the seal when it's sagging:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic