r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Our-Dome (Custom Awning)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mcarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our-Dome (Custom Awning)
    Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 6:54pm
I'm one of the 10% that didn't care for the RDome, went with the PahaQue visor, which I have also seldom use.  Into simple and din't need the added space.  I agree with with Furpod those that deploy them love them, just not my cup of tea.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 5:42pm
Thanks furpod. I'm planning to do some traveling and I won't be staying in one place long enough to use it. But I will hang onto it for possible future use.Thanks for the video, it should be easier for me now. I can see how families might enjoy it, it's just me. By the way, it looks like Outbound posted a homemade awning, but I'm having trouble clicking on it...
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 5:31pm
In general, we never put it up for overnights.. We do our best to be "out" 7 or more days whenever possible. All I did on the inside is put up the rafters. Those 3 long poles. My wife wasn't shooting a tutorial, just wanted to document how long it took to put up.

I don't know where "here" is, but over the years, a couple polls have been run on the forums and FB group, and the dome is much loved, usually a 90% preference rate or so. But as you state, it isn't for everybody, or every situation. (few things are)

That said, I suggest you look at PahaQua's website, and check out their offerings. It sounds like the "visor" might be what fits your uses better. Most, who want a flat, squarish awning make it themselves. You need to either enclose some rope in a fold, or source 14mm keder tape, and then add corner grommets and poles/tie outs to the other side of the sheet of your choice. A home grown awning can be as simple or complex as you want, and done for anywhere from about $30 to $300..

EDIT: since you hate yours, may I suggest you join the FB group, and list it for sale there? People are always looking for one over there.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 4:27pm
Evidently it's not so much loved here. You should have had your camera showing what you were doing inside. Who want's to go through that every time you stop, and then you have to disassemble it, pack it up, and store it. No thanks. If somebody makes a simple quick awning for the thing, they're gonna have something.
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Oliver Oliver wrote:

I agree Outbound. I have had my R-dome for 2 years and never used it. It's brand new. So I thought I would like to have a simple awning at the entrance side, and took the monster out of the bag. I immediately saw what an impossible puzzle it was to assemble, so I tried to get it back in the bag..couldn't do that either. Forest River really dropped the ball on that one. Who want's to go to all that trouble to put that piece of blank up. But I used the long adjustable poles to fashion a prototype of an awning. I'm creative, it looks like I'll have to be. Anybody with an idea, please post pics.

FR didn't design the "dome" it is from the pop up world, and much loved there.. It also, isn't hard, to put up. Here is a video link, all by myself, less then 10 minutes, no rush or fuss.

'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 1:34pm
sorry bout that
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Bentley Bentley wrote:

Does your Bear Creek awning have a bag that attaches to the R-Pod so you can leave it on the R-Pod when driving?

You are asking a question, on a +7 year old thread, to a member who has not logged in for over 7 years..

I am going to guess they are NOT going to respond. But I will, if you don't mind.

A bag awning won't work on a Pod because of the design of the awning compared to the shape of an R-Pod. The bag awnings are designed to be mounted "straight" and the roof line of the Pod is curved.

All the Bear Creek Awnings I have seen, 1/2 dozen or so, are all designed to be slid into the keder rail, and removed after use.
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
Bentley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:50am
Does your Bear Creek awning have a bag that attaches to the R-Pod so you can leave it on the R-Pod when driving?
Bentley
Bentley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bentley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:43am
January 12/18, I too have a R-Pod. Mine is a 2015 Model 178. I would like to order the awning that you bought from Bear Creek. Does it come with a bag that attaches to the R-Pod and stores the awning or must it be installed each time you want to use it? You also mention that you tried a bag awning from a tent trailer. Why didn't you use it instead of ordering a different type? Please reply. I live in Peterborough, Ontario.
Bentley
Bentley
mountain mist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mountain mist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 7:24pm
Outbound: where do I find the picture of your awning set up?
And did you have to modify the "bolt" heads in the runner in order for the awning to pull through it? I am not really handy with taking all those screws out and replacing them.
I was on verge of picking up the phone today and calling Al, but thought I needed to look at yours once again AND ask about the screws getting in the way.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic