r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Our-Dome (Custom Awning)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Our-Dome (Custom Awning)
    Posted: 31 Aug 2009 at 12:27pm
Well, actually, the subject should more accurately be Our-Awning*, but I liked the play on words of r-dome.

When we bought our r-pod, an r-dome was part of the package.  We used to own a tent trailer, so I was familiar with screen rooms, and I really didn't want a screen room (too much effort to put up) for the r-pod.  But, as we had purchased one anyway, and the Dometic cabana looked kinda neat, I thought I'd give it the college try; at the very least I could roll up the sides, right?  Well, after nearly a month, the verdict is in: I don't like the r-dome.  Its baggy.  There are too many pegs and zippers.  I can't open the door all the way.  I can't clip the door open.  It takes way too long to put up.

A few weeks ago, David tried something we'd been discussing on another thread.  He tried putting his tent trailer awning on his r-pod just to see if it would work (and it did).  This got me thinking and humming and hawing and measuring; I then made a call to a company I've dealt with before.  This past Friday, I received a custom canopy from Bear Creek Canvas:

The new canopy is 6 1/2' wide, 8' deep, white in colour and came with poles, guy ropes and stakes.  It takes five minutes to put up or take down.  It keeps the rain off and provides a bit of shade.  Its excellent in the wind.  We can open the door all the way and clip it open.  As you can see, I ordered a fairly narrow canopy to minimize the rippling as the canopy curves with the r-pod's roof (thanks for the advice David!).

I know that its not for everyone, and that some podders love their r-dome and others love their easy-ups.  This is another option - and I'm quite happy with it Big smile

*I was also considering a pirate-themed thread called Arrrr-Dome, but I decided to go conservative for this one

-edit- fixed link to Bear Creek
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
techntrek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2009 at 3:14pm
Arrrr-Dome, love it!  Thumbs Up
'10 Forest River R-pod 171
Phil H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2009 at 6:11pm
Nice awning - where is that campground?
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 2:26am
Thanks Big smile

The campground is Balsam Lake Provincial Park.  I'd never been here before, and a woman at work had been raving about the place, so I thought I'd give it a go.
Gomjabber View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gomjabber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 2:40am
Arrr-dome!  LOL

I like it and I hope to make it up there some day.  As a kid I went camping at a campground on Lake Nipigon.  Black Sand Beach campground I think?
Anyway, enjoy!
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 4:01am
REMOVED FOR COPYRIGHT
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 4:20am
Bear Creek Canvas charged me $145 for everything, plus $25 shipping to Canada.  Their website says free shipping to the lower 48, but I don't know if that applies to just an awning, or if they'll only pay for free shipping for those buying a full tent trailer canvas.

A note to my Canadian friends: Bear Creek ships via UPS, who will charge a brokerage fee which is fairly substantial.  In addition, the Canadian Government wants its taxes.  On the upside, the awning is made in the USA, so there's no additional duty - yay NAFTA!
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 5:21am
The awning looks good, and is a great alternative to the Rdome. The price is reasonable, as quality materials aren't cheap. I personally like the Rdome, and we've set it up as an awning in the past, but She Who Must Be Obeyed feels that the curved roof sometimes tends to trap the heat underneath. 

For those who are so inclined (and have the tools, or even want to buy the tools), Sailrite has everything you could possibly need including the "awning rope tape" that fits into the track. They are probably not the absolute cheapest source for materials, but you can feel confident that everything you buy from them is top quality stuff. I am planning to make an awning for our Rpod with some sort of tropical themed fabric this winter when things slow down a bit.

Mr. Outbound, when I read "Arrrr-pod" I almost fell out of my chair laughing. How perfect for an old sailor like me! This sent me running to my flag locker to dig out this burgee. I think we may be onto something here ...

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
charlene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 7:00am
How does the awning attach to the rpod itself? Also, how easy is it to put up? I would prefer an awning, but am fine with the dome. It's just a serious hassle to put up. I've often been off camping by myself with just my 2 young boys in tow, who provide no help, whatsoever. At 5'6" and by myself, it is quite a chore. When my tall husband is with us, it's a breeze!

charlene
Charlene and Bren
traveling with 2 young kids
2009 Rpod 172
2006 Toyota Tundra V8 4WD Dbl Cab
David View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 12:30pm
Great job Outbound!  Thanks for the very kind mention in your post.  I have had several request for my pictures....I am going to start referring them to you.  It is a great looking set up.  You got the concept nailed!
Personally, I never had much luck with screen rooms.  Bugs still always get in, their friends follow them, none of them could seem to figure out how to get back out of the room and, in their frustration, proceeded to bite and sting me to death!
Maybe you should start a pod awning business - there seems to be a lot of interest!

Happy Camping,
David - RP173
Hope to see you "out there"

David - weird guy with a wolf
Dixie - German Shepherd
RP173 - "Campground Assault Vehicle 1"
2009 Silverado 5.3L V8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic