r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Our-Dome (Custom Awning)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by charlene charlene wrote:

How does the awning attach to the rpod itself? Also, how easy is it to put up? I would prefer an awning, but am fine with the dome

The awning has a plastic edge that fits in the existing c-channel on the r-pod (the same c-channel the dome slides into).  A little silicon lube spayed in the c-channel every now and then keeps awning installation easy.  I made two little stops for the c-channel (for either side of the awning) so that the awning doesn't slide out of place in the wind.  The stops are a wingnut-rubber washer affair that moves in the c-channel and easily tightens down.

Its very easy to slide on the awning.  But, despite being 6' tall, I have to stand on the r-pod's step to push it the last foot it into place.  At 5'6", you may need a step stool - which definitely reduces the simplicity factor.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by David David wrote:

Great job Outbound!  Thanks for the very kind mention in your post.

Thank you, too.  Without your trial and error, and comments about awning length and rippling/bagginess as the roof curved down, I would have bought a much longer awning (I had been thinking 8'-9') and would now be cursing that I'd wasted a couple hundred dollars.
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 3:25pm
Mr HuronSailor, sir, this is just for you:

HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 4:22pm
Excellent job! You've made my day! Thanks so much!

I mentioned to She Who Must Be Obeyed about ordering some custom graphics to change the r into arrr, and maybe add a skull and crossbones too, but she doesn't seem to be as enthusiastic as you and I are.

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 1:38pm
That is hilarious.  I like the awning and the price.  I'm close to where Bear Creek is located.  I'm going to make a trip there and check them out.  Thanks for the info.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
techntrek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 5:01pm
Outbound - LOL, I missed the 'shopped "arrr-pod" on the camper the first time around, even better.  I only saw the flag.

HuronSailor -  I asked my wife about doing that, too.  Like you, I like the idea.  Like your wife, my wife doesn't.
'10 Forest River R-pod 171
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 5:40pm
Charlene:  I'm 5'2'  I really don't have alot of trouble putting up the rdome.  Like your boys, my daughter isn't much help.  

Tricks..(1) i spray silcone on the part that goes in the grove (spread it along i wear mechanic gloves {I wear them for all set up and hook ups} (2) push along the track never try to pull (3) have a to step ladder i use to set the 3 poles.

Great Custom Awning...I personally would like to see an awning that is a vesion of the one below.  That could be just fold up and down as needed

or something like this that would fold sideways.

Shades for thought.

LOL Lee
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 6:08pm
I actually bought an over sized golf umbrella and a fishing rod holder that would be mounted to the side of the TT to hold the umbrella.  But couldn't get it centered right to cover the door.  I also thought about rigging up some way using PVC pipes that could hook to the top of the Pod (or have the canvas slid into the track) and arms holding it away from the side of the Pod over the door that would be removable.  Still thinking about that one.  Going to check with Bear Creek on that one.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
mountain mist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mountain mist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 1:18pm
My eyes are all agoggle (is that a word?) Wacko at the talent and experience out there.
I will look into the site for the awning. Right now I am going to use my Sun Shade, giving myself some time to see what I CAN use. Since I have the EZ sunscreen room , I am bug free and the Sun Shade will shade some of the grass mat rug. I don't want to carry a step ladder around to put the awning up when I am alone. I really like the looks of what was done and agree with David that a pod people business could be made of making these awnings for those that do not want the Dome. AND that FR should take note of the suggestion that this be an added option.
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 5:28pm
Hi Mountain Mist. I saw you on the other site and wondered if you knew about this one.  You will find a lot of great people on here.  Sure do wish you could have come to the ERU.  We had a lot of fun. Maybe next year.  BTW, we will be visiting your area in the next month or so.  My brother lives at White Pines.
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic