r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hot plate details

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot plate details
    Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 8:26pm
Does anybody know if 1500 watts is too much for a hot plate for my 30 amp Rpod? I'm using an 1100 watt one now with no problem, but somebody said keep it below 1500. I'm looking at a Cadco because it's USA made.
Kingskerswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 12:45pm
First of all I want to point out that I am not an electrical engineer, but I would refer you to an article (attached) that may help.  Although it does not specifically cover a 30A circuit, I am sure you can extrapolate from there.  It refers to the National Electrical Code (NEC) for a 15A breaker is 80% or 1440 Watts

Also you have to keep in mind what other electrical devices you may have running in the background., ie electrical water heater.  Add to this the fact that many campsite electrical power outlets are notoriously poorly maintained and that your trailer connections may be corroded, worn/sloppy fit.  

I know from personal experience (appliance fire due to low voltage supply) resulted in a some basic checks that I do when camping….continually monitor voltage supply/connections together with a simple heat check at the trailer piug-ins.  

I am sure there are many readers who will be better qualified to answer your question but this might be a good start.uploads/5689/Max_Wattage-15A_Breaker_.pdf

Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 5:02pm
Thanks Kingskerswell, it looks like without you, I would have no response at all. Also looks like you do have to be an electrical engineer to understand the link you sent. Fortunately you don't have to be an engineer to have a little common sense. I found out if I run the hot water heater, the AC, and microwave at the same time, it trips a breaker. Solution..don't do that. I'm also glad I have the nice surge protector which shuts things down if there's a problem. I still don't know what watts hotplate to buy.
Kingskerswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingskerswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 6:41pm
I also use a 120V hot plate but it is only 1000 W.   I don't hook it into the trailer electrical system, most sites I visit have an additional 15A or 20A plug-in on the power post so I use a separate good quality 3-wire 12ga extension cord to power the hot plate only, outside of the trailer.  That way I don't have to burden the trailer system.
Personally, if it was me, I would go the 12ga extension cord (minimize length) route with a 1500W hotplate not directly connected to the trailer.  
It would be a good opportunity for someone else to chip in with ideas as well....
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 6:45pm
We have a Nuwave induction hotplate, It uses 1300 watts and you won't burn yourself
If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
Oliver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 6:31pm
Marwayne, I have been thinking about an induction hotplate, but don't know much about them. Don't you have to use a certain magnetic pan? Do they work well? Maybe you can send me a link to the Nuwave unit you have. Thanks
furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 10:24am
As far as overloading a circuit, that's been covered.

When we had regular trouble with a device that would cause it's breaker to trip, or most often, the main to trip.. her hair dryer. I installed a 15/20A inlet on the side of the camper, ran it to it's own outlet in the bathroom. Well in the bedroom in the Pod, in the bathroom in the current rig. Just plug in a good quality extension cord from that otherwise empty 15/20 outlet on the pedestal.
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic