r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camping with Pets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pet carrier

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pet carrier
    Posted: 22 Mar 2009 at 7:19pm
Big smileThe wife ordered a pet carrier that attatches to the handle bars of her bike. It is great for small dogs. We have a poodle and she puts Dixie (the dog) in it and bikes all over the camp.She loves it. We order it from Camping World. Jim
rmaco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 4:08pm
I have a couple of cats that I have never taken vacationing in fear that they might get out and with being in unfamiliar territory I might never see them again. I would be interested to know if anyone has taken any cats with them before and how they handled it.
jherald02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jherald02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 3:26am
We are planning on taking our cats with us.  We have 3 of them but will probably only take one at a time. 

We also have a great dane.  That should be fun when he tries to crawl in bed with us.  At home it's not problem because we have a king sized bed but in the POD it may be a problem....lol.

James
Let's hit the road!
Mark & Shelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark & Shelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 11:23am
As far as a pet carrier I am not sure; but we take our 90lb german shepard with us when we travel and he has adapted well to the r-pod. We have the 171 model so we use the table as a couch and Louie has plenty of room to stretch out and relax. Have fun!!
Mark & Shelle, Mt Airy, MD
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 12:51pm
My wife and I traveled for 6 years (full time) with our cat.  We had a motorhome so it is not the same.  We put her in a carrier and used a seat belt to hold it on the couch when on the road.  she got used to it and crawled in by herself. 

Remember that a pet becomes a flying object during an accident.

Terry
rmaco View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 4:19pm
Did you let your cat roam free in new areas you went too and in the wild areas? I am afraid that if I let my cat out, or it somehow gets out, I may never see it again because it may get lost in unfamiliar surroundings and if it gets out while caming out in the wilderness it may wonder off and end up being some bigger animals lunch.Confused
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 6:23pm
She was (died) an indoor cat only.  She only got out once and it took about an hour to catch her.  We finally just opened the door and waited.  She ran in and jumped up on my lap and started purring!  After that we could leave the door open and she would get down on the bottom step and go no further!

Terry
PriceJC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PriceJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 5:11pm
So far, I have only been "camping" at the dropzone where I skydive.  So far, my lab (Maggie) has been OK in our r-pod 171 while I am jumping (she did bend up the blinds a bit trying to look out the windows - so I will be making curtains instead).

In between jumping and packing my chute, I go grab her and we go for a walk.  And in the evenings, she hangs out with the other "Dropzone Dogs."  Maggie was the reason I got my r-pod...smart thing figured out how to escape from the pop-up I had and chewed through the harness I had for her when she was outside.  She has some separation issues - so I am hoping she soon realizes our r-pod is her home away from home!!!

I am looking into getting front stabilizers though, because when I come back to the r-pod, I hear her jump off the bed (or at night when we are sleeping and she decides to move to the other bed or floor), and I just want to make sure she (we) are as stable as possible in there!

We are hoping to take the r-pod for a real camping trip soon!!!
Julie C. Price (and Maggie)
Virginia
2008 Trailblazer SS
r-pod 171
Blue Skies
Brin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 12:59am
Our dog loves our Rpod 175.   After a long day hiking, she would rather sleep in it than sit outside by campfire.  We just leave out the table and there is room on the floor for her bed.  I am a little concerned about her taking out the Rdome when she is harnessed to the trailer as she has learned she can get in by the open area next to the trailer.  So far, three trips with it have been good.   We were even able to leave her in it for a few hours and go to dinner. 
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 5:49am
The best part of having a camper is that we can take our four legged family member with us without having to find a place that allows dogs. While I love that red roof inn and la quinta are dog friendly, I like knowing that we can go to dinner or breakfast in the morning and not be breaking the rules by not having him in a crate. Also, just like at home, his bathroom is right outside the front door with no one giving me dirty looks! (Of course we are responsible pet owners and there is a stack of baggies right in the kitchen drawer!)
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic