r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how best to add a 12V power receptacle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how best to add a 12V power receptacle
    Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 9:33am
I want to install a 12-volt power receptacle in my 171 because I have a number of things that could use it (various battery chargers, my CB/weather radio, etc.) and because it would be handier in some cases than having to plug those things into my SUV.

Could I tap into existing wires, or should I wire it directly to the power converter and add a fuse for it, or is that even possible/practical?

Electrical experts please chime in.  Thanks.
markn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 10:00am
I'm not at all qualified for electrical work but at the suggestion of our R-Pod dealer, I tapped into the low voltage wiring that goes to the TV AMP in the TV Cabinet on our 175.  I just removed the cover plate, cut the wire and wired a cigarette plug right into the low voltage.  When we don't have 110 power, we have a 300 Watt inverter that we plug the TV into and then plug into the cigarette plug.  Only thing-- before you cut into the 12V remember to remove the TV fuse.  Now, we have a cigarette plug right in the TV cabinet that we can also plug car chargers in as well.

There are many people on here that know lots more about electricity than I do but it was a very easy thing for a novice to wire.

Hope that helps.
Mark
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 10:26am
I added three 12 volt receptacles to my 171 on the weekend - I probably should have taken pictures.  I just wired them into a new circuit on the converter.

I went for simple placement of the outlets: two of them in the cabinet face below the sink (so that we could plug-in cell phones and leave them on the counter overnight) and the third in the base of the dinette seat near the front wall (for a laptop or portable DVD player, so that the cord wouldn't interfere with people sitting at the table).  After taking off a few panels and having a look around, I knew that it would be easy to run the wires to those areas; in fact, I didn't have to drill a single hole for wires.

I just picked-up a couple of outlets from Canadian Tire.  I can't find a picture of them anywhere online, but the were the simple ones that unscrew into two parts.  I then used a dremel tool to cut holes in the wood, pushed in the "finished" side of the outlet in the hole and screwed in the back piece from behind to tighten it up.

Connecting the wires to the converter is fairly simple.  First unplug your trailer from shore power and then disconnect the negative terminal on the battery, just to be safe.  There's a ground bar screwed to the floor in the converter bay (under the dinette seat) that you screw the negative wire to.   The positive wire goes into the converter.   Pop open the converter's panel and unscrew the two large screws at the top to remove the converter's front cover.  On mine, There were three unused 12v circuits at the bottom.  I picked one, screwed in my positive line, and put in a spare automotive fuse.

In total, it took me about 45 minutes to put in the three outlets.

-----

-edit- HuronSailor had some good pictures of wiring the converter in his fridge fan installation podmod.  Check out his post.

Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Bigbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 11:34am
I was about to post a question on how to do this - you folks chimed in with question and answers just in time!  Thanks!

One question for Outbound: you say to tap off the back of the converter to get 12VDC.  I assume that the 12VDC is still there from the battery even if there is no 120VAC from mains?
Regards,

Bigbit

2010 Trailmanor Elkmont
Tow Vehicle: 2009 Buick Enclave CXL (Cliffy)
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Bigbit Bigbit wrote:

One question for Outbound: you say to tap off the back of the converter to get 12VDC.  I assume that the 12VDC is still there from the battery even if there is no 120VAC from mains?

Yes, the 12v side of the panel is powered off the battery when you're not connected to shore power.  But, although you feed your wire through the back of the panel, the tap is actually on the front.  Here's HuronSailor's picture from his fridge fan podmod:

This picture is the front of the converter with the panel taken off.  When you flip-down the converter's door, you'll see the 120v breakers on the left and the 12v fuses on the right (everything else is covered by the trim piece).

I'm really making this sound complicated.  Honestly, its not.  Once you remove the front panel from the converter, its very easy to see where the wire should be hooked-up.
tedbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 12:35pm
Great visuals!  What size fuse should I put in? (I don't know if the "5 amp" is your annotation or from the original post.)
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 12:54pm
The annotations are from HuronSailor's original post.  I used a 10 amp fuse, just because I had a few lying around.  Cell phones, DVD players and radios don't use that much power, so 10 amps should be fine.  If you've got a 12 volt hair dryer or coffee pot, which need alot of power, I'd put in a 15 amp fuse (I wouldn't really suggest using either as they draw alot of power).
tedbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2009 at 2:12pm
I installed it today, and it was a piece of cake thanks to the tips I got here!

Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2009 at 2:43pm
Great job, tedbear Hug.  The 12v outlets do come in handy.
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Outbound Outbound wrote:

I added three 12 volt receptacles to my 171 on the weekend - I probably should have taken pictures.  I just wired them into a new circuit on the converter.

I went for simple placement of the outlets: two of them in the cabinet face below the sink (so that we could plug-in cell phones and leave them on the counter overnight) and the third in the base of the dinette seat near the front wall (for a laptop or portable DVD player, so that the cord wouldn't interfere with people sitting at the table).  After taking off a few panels and having a look around, I knew that it would be easy to run the wires to those areas; in fact, I didn't have to drill a single hole for wires.

I just picked-up a couple of outlets from Canadian Tire.  I can't find a picture of them anywhere online, but the were the simple ones that unscrew into two parts.  I then used a dremel tool to cut holes in the wood, pushed in the "finished" side of the outlet in the hole and screwed in the back piece from behind to tighten it up.

Connecting the wires to the converter is fairly simple.  First unplug your trailer from shore power and then disconnect the negative terminal on the battery, just to be safe.  There's a ground bar screwed to the floor in the converter bay (under the dinette seat) that you screw the negative wire to.   The positive wire goes into the converter.   Pop open the converter's panel and unscrew the two large screws at the top to remove the converter's front cover.  On mine, There were three unused 12v circuits at the bottom.  I picked one, screwed in my positive line, and put in a spare automotive fuse.

In total, it took me about 45 minutes to put in the three outlets.

Hey Outbound :

I found this topic and it is exactly what Im looking for !!! We're wanting to install a few 12V plugs around Astro for charging things and convience mostly.
I read the complete thread w/pics (sweet!) but I was wondering about putting a few 12V receptacles toward the rear of the Pod.
I've read that an existing 12V source (light) can be "tapped", or, wires could be run from the receptacle to the converter such as you did, utilizing an empty circuit.
Is running wires from the rear of the pod to the front (inside) possible ??
Is it "ok" to tap an existing 12V source (light) ??

Thanks !!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic