r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Operation of Furnace

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Operation of Furnace
    Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 9:50am
Can anyone give me operation instructions on the furnace?  My 75 year old parents just left with our new 175 for 30 days heading toward Yellowstone and I failed to go over the furnace operation with them and they have the manuals with them.  After turning on the propane, does it operate off of the AC wall controls or is there something else that needs to be done for it to ignite?

Thanks!
Mark
Bigbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 11:29am
The Owner's manual is next to useless, but attached is a JPEG of the pertinent page.  I have virtually no experience operating the furnace, so others may want to chime in...

Regards,

Bigbit

2010 Trailmanor Elkmont
Tow Vehicle: 2009 Buick Enclave CXL (Cliffy)
markn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 11:55am
Do you know if the blower operates off of 12V or if you have to be plugged into shore power?

Thanks for all the info!
Mark
gepaine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gepaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 12:02pm
I have a 175 and have used the furnace a little. The thermostat slider on the top of the thermostat is off when in the far left position. It clicks into that position. Just move the slider to the right slowly until the furnace blower comes on. Since there are no numbers to set a temperature (just lines), you will have to use it a bit to know which line setting produces what temperature.

You just need the propane tank valve turned on and 12 Volt battery power.

Good Luck!
Gene & Linda - 2007 Escalade - 24-Foot Keystone Cougar TT- Life is not just about gas mileage!
gepaine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gepaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 12:14pm
My wife reminded me to tell you a few other things:

1. The first time the furnace is used, it is likely to set off the smoke alarm due to oil and other manufacturing residue needing to burn off the furnace. I dealt with this before I had a real need for heat, by opening a couple of windows, turning on the bathroom fan, and running the furnace for 10-15 minutes. After that, no alarms anymore.
2. The convection oven may set off the smoke alarm at settings above 350 degrees. This may not happen if you use the fan to vent whatever the convection oven is putting off.
3. If you experience arcing when using the microwave oven with some foods, put a ceramic plate or any microwave safe plate on top of the plate that comes with the oven. The oven manual mentions use of this plate for popping corn, but according to Forest River, you should use a second plate to prevent arcing no matter what you are cooking.
Gene & Linda - 2007 Escalade - 24-Foot Keystone Cougar TT- Life is not just about gas mileage!
kotasnana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kotasnana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 12:24pm

Am I the only one scared of running the furnace?

markn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 12:53pm
Thank you all for the information!
Mark
gepaine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gepaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 1:07pm
The operating instructions provided above by Bigbit as well as those provided with my furnace are very confusing. Essentially, steps 1 thru 7 of the Operating Instructions call for the performance of a manual 5 minute purge of combustion gases; however, step 9 mentions a 30 second automatic purge that occurs everytime the thermostat calls for heat.

Can anyone explain why steps 1 thru 7 are necessary? Does Forest River / Suburban really expect me to crawl under my bed and remove the furnace cover (to perform the 5 minute purge) everytime I want to use the furnace?
techntrek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 3:52pm
Never did that with my popup's furnace.  The gas valve was always "on", we just turned the thermostat on and fired away.  Pun intended.

Note that the newer models have temperature markings on the thermostat.
'10 Forest River R-pod 171
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2009 at 5:39am
We intentionally used the furnace last weekend for the first time without problem.  My daughter had turned it on weeks ago by mistake and took care of burning off all the manufacturing gunk and toasting the box on the floor next to the outletSleepy

We were hooked to AC power and the propane was already on.  Just slid the thermostat over and were warmed up quickly.

Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic