r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Refrigerator questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote movingwaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refrigerator questions
    Posted: 06 Sep 2009 at 3:25am
We're new to RV'ing and have just purchased an RP175.  We were told by the dealer not to run the fridge for long while stopped or would run the battery down.  Some also say not to run the fridge on propane while driving.  What do people generally do to keep the fridge running while traveling?  Will running the trailer appliances drain the car battery as well?  I think there's an electrical device that keeps the the trailer from draining the car battery.  Does anyone have that installed?  How long can you be stopped without running the car down?  Should you make a practice of unplugging the trailer when stopped?  I'm sure these are basic questions but we're new to this.  Thanks. 
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2009 at 4:15am
Welcome to the nation, movingwaters!  I'm sure that you'll love your new 175.

Yes, it is possible for the fridge to run down the trailer and vehicle batteries when your vehicle is stopped.  Technically, when your trailer is hooked to your vehicle, any electrical load in the trailer will run down your trailer battery and vehicle battery at the same time as opposed to exhausting your trailer battery and then moving on to your vehicle battery.

Yes, a battery isolator could be used to "protect" your vehicle's battery, although it would be a bit of work to hook one up.  I've never heard of anyone going to the trouble.

Yes, some do travel with their propane on.  Others will not.  Some say its safe while others say its extremely dangerous.  Its a very divisive issue with very passionate opinions on both sides.  Certainly, in Ontario where I'm from, its perfectly legal.  If you're going to leave the propane on, check the local laws on your travel route (most if not all jurisdictions require propane off while at a gas station, on a ferry or in major tunnels).  Personally, I travel with the propane off and the fridge on battery.

You should be able to go at least 15 hours running your fridge on a group 24 battery; you'll also get a few additional hours out of your vehicle's battery.  Obviously, a larger-capacity battery will last longer.  But, you won't even want to come close to that.  You may want to use battery power at your camping destination, so you won't want to exhaust it while stopping on the way.  Most importantly, your breakaway system (which automatically applies the trailer brakes should it become disconnected from your vehicle) requires battery power to operate.

So, what do you do?  Keep things simple.  If you're stopped for an hour or two for lunch, just leave the fridge running on battery.  If you're going to be stopped for longer, turn on the propane and switch the fridge over; turn off the propane and switch the fridge back to battery when you resume driving.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
joe&carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe&carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2009 at 4:31am
We've found the refrigerator to create a significant drain on the battery over the course of a 12-hour road trip. And yes, I'd agree it is rather dangerous to drive while the propane is turned on given all the jaring and bumping that can take place on a trip. Thus as a practical solution to the refrigerator dilemma, we've taken to hooking up to shore power the night before we travel and turning the refrigerator on using 110 power. In the morning we disconnect everything and place ice packs within the refrigerator compartment treating it like a giant cooler. Some 8-10-12 hours later, everything is still quite cold when we get to our destination and either plug in to shore power or go to propane. 
Maryjo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maryjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2009 at 4:38am

Hi, I also have a quesiton about the refrigerator. I am taking my first trip in my 173 this coming weekend. What I want to know is how long does it take for the fridge to cool enough to put food in it safely? Where I am going is only about 2 hours from my home, so I was thinking about putting the fridge on gas over night, then when I take off in the morning turn off the gas and use the battery. Am I being over concerned? Any suggestions? Thank you for any help.

FoxyPod (Maryjo)2010 R-Pod 173 Tow Vehicle:2004 Expedition
Mary & Don View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary & Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2009 at 5:42am

About 24 hours before a trip, I turn on the refrigerator using electric mode - place the small ice cube tray inside - set the temperature to the coldest setting.  When the ice is frozen, I load the fridge.  If we are going on a short trip, I just unplug the electric and plug in again at the campsite.  If we are traveling for a few hours, I change the setting to battery.  I have not used the propane setting at this time since we have always had electric available when parked.

Mary & Don
R-Pod 175
Columbus, Ohio

Life is good in R-Pod!
Maryjo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maryjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2009 at 5:46am
Thank you so much for your prompt reply! I will do what you suggested.

FoxyPod (Maryjo)2010 R-Pod 173 Tow Vehicle:2004 Expedition
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2009 at 6:20am
Would adding a second battery help with the electric drain?  

I'm planing a long trip in next May so I want to be prepared.  

During my last trip, I stopped to sleep and could not get the refrigerator to go on Propane (it would start then go off).  To high of an elevation I think.  I anyway I had to get a jump the morning.

Also doesn't the battery get charged while your driving?

Always Learning
Lee

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
jlhyatt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlhyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2009 at 7:35am
Lee;
    I just made a trip out to the west coast. The trailer battery does charge from your tow vehicle, and I learned to unplug the Trailer from the tow vehicle at night when I dry camped, other wise the tow vehicle battery would be drained. I ran the refrigerator off propane when dry camped and ran it on 12 volt during driving. Never had any problems after the first night waking up to a vehicle dead battery.  Hope this helps.  Jim
jim
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2009 at 7:43am
Thanks JIM, 
Glad to know that I'm not the only one to wake up to a dead battery.  
(Sometimes I wonder if I didn't use to much blonde hair dyeLOL).   

NC to West Coast...That had to be Fun.

Lee

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
TXBoondocker1217 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXBoondocker1217 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2009 at 8:31am

A lady on another site says she gets the "Blue Ice" packs, freezes them while ref is on and when they get ready to go, she places them in ref while traveling, then in the freezer when they either get home or to another camp site.  We dry camp alot during hunting season and I think this is what I am going to do. 

Steve & Carole
Scooter & Sophy(4 legged kids)
2010 RP-172 R-Pod "Rose Pod"
2008 Toyota 4Runner "Rose Pedal

How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you are??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic