r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hooking chains to vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hooking chains to vehicle
    Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 8:01am
While searching the web I found this bit of information that I thought was important for everyone to know.

The hooks should be connected through the bottom of the fastening toward the travel trailer so the opening of the hook faces the trailer instead of facing the ground.

The information was from someone with good credentials:

I am degreed in both law and civil engineering, a member of several safety organizations and an expert in accident reconstruction, accident investigation, highway safety design, motor vehicle crash analysis and legal procedure. As such I am called on by law enforcement agencies, courts, insurance companies and lawyers to determine the cause of accidents involving loss of life or serious injury. Minor accidents does not justify the expense of my going across country to check a fender bender. I have over 35 years experience in this field.

Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
tedbear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 8:34am
Thanks for passing that along.  I didn't know this either until the dealership showed me the trick.  I also learned that the chains should be crossed to form an "X" which would act as a yoke to catch the tip of the trailer in the event that it became detached from the vehicle - who knew?
techntrek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 2:55pm
Also if the chains are too long, twist them a few times to take up the slack.

Can someone post a pic of the description in the first post?  I'm not picturing it mentally...
'10 Forest River R-pod 171
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 3:05pm
I knew about the "x",  I too would like to see a PIC.  I had trouble with my hooks and one of the tech said I could put a link on my hitch then hook the hooks to it (with the X).  Hope that made sence.

Thanks in Advance WHOEVER
Lee

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 4:12pm
Long ago (long, long, ago), my grandfather taught me to always hook safety chains to the vehicle from the bottom - the free end of the s-hook up through the hole, as opposed to just hoking them over on the top.  Its less likely that the tow chain will bounce out of the hole.

But, the safety chains that are on my r-pod have spring-closures and there isn't much danger of them bouncing out.  So, I just clip them on from the top and go.  And, as tedbear said,  always criss-cross the chains.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 5:20pm
Stole this from some other web site.

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 5:46pm
Every has slightly different requirements based on their opinion on how it should be safely rigged.   The cross chain setup is required in most all states.  Some states have additional requirements.   In washington state the amount of slack on each chain must be the same.  And the chains are supposed to be short enough that the trailer tongue will not hit the ground if it comes off the ball.

TXBoondocker1217 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXBoondocker1217 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2009 at 7:49pm
Thanks for the info...had to ask how we do ours...as it is, husband was a diesel mechanic and is very aware of regulations and how to hook up trailers.
Steve & Carole
Scooter & Sophy(4 legged kids)
2010 RP-172 R-Pod "Rose Pod"
2008 Toyota 4Runner "Rose Pedal

How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you are??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic