r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

List your mods: NO COMMENTS PLEASE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 6:23pm
I finally got around to completing some mods and a few minor repairs today.

1) ISSUE: On the 172 model the dinette collapes to make the queen bed.  The wood support brackets are only held in by three screws and became weak after my daughter had a few go arounds of jumping on the bed (without my knowledge of course)
SOLUTION: More screws.  I bought some 1 & 5/8 drywall screws and secured the supports from the inside/out on both sides.  I also tightened the existing ones .

This photo is taken from on top of the water heater looking out into the pod.

2) ISSUE: The deadbolt doesn't lock because it misses the opening by at least a 1/4 inch.
SOLUTION:  Remove the catch plate and grab your Dremmel.  I took a grinding bit and simply notched a hole 1/4" lower.  The hole for the catchplate was big enough just to slide down without further modification.  The black lines are the original placement of the catch plate.

3) ISSUE: No sealant surrounding the sink drain pipe.  I had no idea this problem existed until I went looking for the water pump.  In the 172 they have a 1/8" sheet in the lower cabinet to separate the pump, wires and plumbing from the storage area.  After I removed this (2 screws) I found no sealant, only a big hole.
SOLUTION: A can of expanding insulation.  I used this in three places today to fill holes surrounding the plumbing

4) ISSUE: How to prop up that under bed storage access panel. 
SOLUTION:  Since I'm not Huron Sailor with every tool known to man, I used the cane idea.  It was quick, simple and free since we had some of my Grandfather's old canes.

5) ISSUE: You can't open the under dinette storeage without removing all of the cushions because it doesn't clear by 2".  This is a real engineering gem :)
SOLUTION:  Cut 2" off the access door and install a 2x4 to support the weight of sitting on the cushions

prior to the fix the cushion overlapped the access door by 2"

the planned cut

installed 2x4 for support after the door is cut 2"

top down view of the installed 2x4

view of the newly cut door

I'm no engineer, but I think this will open now Smile

Hope these few items help.
Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
Bigbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 7:34pm

I made two minor modifications to my R-Pod, both up front in the tongue/hitch area.

First, I installed a swing-back trailer jack.  This replaced the trailer jack that came with the R-Pod (http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=41005&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=). This accomplished two things for me: first, it makes it a lot easier to get the jack out of the way after I've hitched to the truck - no more endless cranking.  Second, it allowed me to move the jack back further away from the tongue.  This provided enough clearance so that I can now open the hatch on the back of my SUV with the trailer connected. I mounted this swing-back Jack on the right side of the hitch as you look at the trailer.

Second, I mounted a trailer spare tire carrier on the left side of the hitch. This freed up the hitch receiver on the back of the R-Pod so that I can use it for a bike rack. I would not recommend this second modification unless you have the four-inch riser blocks installed on the trailer; otherwise, there's a good chance that the spare tire would drag on the ground if you hit any severe bumps. The only other negative with this mod is that it will add some weight to the tongue.  Here is a link to the spare tire carrier: http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=93341&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=

I am quite happy with both of these modifications.

Regards,

Bigbit

2010 Trailmanor Elkmont
Tow Vehicle: 2009 Buick Enclave CXL (Cliffy)
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 5:52am
Here's mine so far on our 172:

1) Cut off dinette storage compartment door to bypass cushions, added support underneath cut edge, added small lift cylinders, drilled finger hole in lid.

2) Added half round to top of upper bunk rail for scrape protection when exiting bunk.

3) Added a 110V switch for the water heater inside the trailer.

4) Replaced the abominable factory bunk mattresses with real foam.

5) Added lift cylinders and additional center support to lower bunk storage lid.

6) Installed a wireless indoor/outdoor thermo to keep track of the fridge temp.

7) Built a cover for the stove burners for added counter space.

8) Installed a baffle in the fridge compartment and added an auxillary fan to hopefully improve performance in hot weather - if we ever again get any hot weather in MI.

9) Added a mirror to the outside of the shower door.

10) Added a bungee to keep the TV screen securely folded when on the road.

11) Found a fold up stool for climbing into the bunk, setting up the awning, etc.

12) Longer sewage hose and storage tube in the outside compartment has been removed. It takes up too much space for no more often than I've used it. I can always throw the whole thing in the back of the truck if I'm going to have a full hookup.

13) Installed a mud dauber screen over the furnace vents.

14) Added a front set of BAL stabalizer jacks similar to the rear set.

15) Made some additional wall storage pockets for each bunk and on the dinette end of the galley overhead cabinet.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 6:32am
This thread's a great idea, Terry!  I'm feelin' lazy, so I'll just link to the podmod threads I've created.

Battery Disconnect Switch

Link to thread:
http://www.rpodnation.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=503

Quieting the Waterpump

Link to thread:
http://www.rpodnation.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=530

Custom Awning

Link to thread:
http://www.rpodnation.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=530
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 6:50am
As the stock sewer storage comes up in discussion every now and then:

Stock Sewer Storage (How I made it work for me)

Its extrodinarily rare that we'd ever be at a campground with on-site sewers.  On the way out the campground gate, we always have to stop at the dumpstation to empty our tanks.  We use basic RV sewer components and fittings.  Nothing fancy.  Just regular-duty equipment:
  • The sewer hose was just a basic 10' hose given to me by our dealer, it didn't even come in a box.  Its very much like this one at Canadian Tire.
  • The RV fitting was again given to us by our  dealer.  It was a Camco Straight hose adapter.  Our dealer also threw in a stainless steel host clamp for it (there wasn't one in the box).
  • The dumpstation end is an Easy Slip Elbow Adapter (I bought ours at WalMart).  Although you can't really tell from the picture below, the elbow separates from the adapter.  I keep the adapter in a plastic bag the storage bay; I haven't needed it yet, but you never know.

The only alteration required was to saw off one of the two finger-"nubs" on the RV end of the sewer connector.  The connector is about 1/4" too wide to fit in the stock storage tube.  Fortunately, the loss of one "nub" doesn't make the job of connecting/disconnecting the sewer hose any less easy.

Here's the  connector:

You can see where I've cut off the 'nub':

Here's the entire hose, with the elbow at the dump end.  Yes, it fits easily into the stock storage tube:

Here's the sewage tube tucked away in its hole:

Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2009 at 9:46am
ClapAdded a Storage Box to the Front and moved the battery box (added disconnect switch:)

How I did it should be in the link below.

http://www.rpodnation.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=685&PID=5794#5794

Another PODMOD off the list.

LeeClapClapClap

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
Bigbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2009 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Bigbit Bigbit wrote:

I made two minor modifications to my R-Pod, both up front in the tongue/hitch area.

First, I installed a swing-back trailer jack.  This replaced the trailer jack that came with the R-Pod (http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=41005&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=). This accomplished two things for me: first, it makes it a lot easier to get the jack out of the way after I've hitched to the truck - no more endless cranking.  Second, it allowed me to move the jack back further away from the tongue.  This provided enough clearance so that I can now open the hatch on the back of my SUV with the trailer connected. I mounted this swing-back Jack on the right side of the hitch as you look at the trailer.

Second, I mounted a trailer spare tire carrier on the left side of the hitch. This freed up the hitch receiver on the back of the R-Pod so that I can use it for a bike rack. I would not recommend this second modification unless you have the four-inch riser blocks installed on the trailer; otherwise, there's a good chance that the spare tire would drag on the ground if you hit any severe bumps. The only other negative with this mod is that it will add some weight to the tongue.  Here is a link to the spare tire carrier: http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=93341&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=

I am quite happy with both of these modifications.
I had the R-Pod at the house today and spent the day doing mods.  First some pics of the tongue area mods as mentioned in my previous posts:

Swing-back jack:

Spare tire carrier:

Now for a few more pics.  Moving the spare tire to the tongue freed up the back receiver for my bike rack:

I also installed scissors jacks to stabilize the front end of the camper while in use:

Another mod I did today was the popular RV Sewer Hose tray:

Here's some photos of where I have applied 3M Command hooks:
Shower Caddy:
Front Entrance:
Side of refrigerator:
On the bathroom door, we use door-top hooks to hold towels and the TP:

Not shown are two other mods: I added the battery shut-off switch to the battery case, and we replaced the horrible FR-supplied mattress for our Queen bed with a foam one from IKEA.
Regards,

Bigbit

2010 Trailmanor Elkmont
Tow Vehicle: 2009 Buick Enclave CXL (Cliffy)
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 6:17pm

REMOVED FOR COPYRIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 6:36pm
REMOVED FOR COPYRIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 6:41pm
REMOVED FOR COPYRIGHT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic