r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help me choose

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakes99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me choose
    Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 4:01pm
Looking at possibly buying an Rpod 172 this weekend.  Really like the look and it's outfitted perfect for us.  
Here is the dilemma,  A 2007 Fleetwood 16ft has come up for sale, with basically the same features which would save us about 6 grand.  We need small as we have very little space to store.  The Rpod is listed as 18.2 and the Fleetwood is listed as 16.8.   With the tongue length included, the fleetwood comes in longer according to our investigation, which makes no sense to me.  We want short, every inch counts with our lot size.  Any thoughts?  What would you do.

First post. First formum

J
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 4:23pm
Welcome,

First off you might want to check of whether there is anyone in your area who repairs fleetwood.    I have a neighbor who had a brand new fleetwood he purchased right before fleetwood went under, and he has a hard time finding places to fix it now.  AIP aquired fleetwood in July (don't know all the details).   But have heard of problems from numerous fleetwood trailer owners about trying to get repairs.    Might not be an issue at all if the 2007 is in great operational condition. 

Which model fleetwood is it?  
Bakes99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakes99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 4:47pm
Thanks for the quick response.    
The trailer is a 2007 Aerolite zoom 716fd (not fleetwood as I stated).  A dealer nearby has a 2009 version called the fleetwood backpack Which also has the designation of 716fd, appears to be the same model, with the same dimensions and layout.  I guess I was mistaken about the Zoom being a Fleetwood.  I'm obvously a little confused on how that works
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 5:40pm
If lengths are that important, you'll have to get your tape measure out.  I suspect that the tip-to-tail length of the Aerolite will be just over a foot shorter than the r-pod, and that you've been given some misinformation.  Either the Aerolite length included the spare tire and the r-pod did not, or someone was way off base with the Aerolite.

FWIW, I think that the tip-to-tail length of my r-pod was just over 22' 20'.  Hopefully, someone who's conscientiously measured theirs will chime in shortly.

-edit-
Oops... made a mistake.  That should read 20' - my driveway is 20' long and my r-pod looks to be about an inch longer.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 5:44pm
I thought Aerolite zoom was from dutchmen rv.  But i might have been mistaken.   These manufacturers are constantly merging etc.

Specs I found said:
Overallwidth 84"
Overallheight 9'6"
Trailer Length 16' ( I doubt this includes spare tire and tongue)

They don't say overall trailer length, and they don't list the interior dimensions of the unit, so its hard to tell how big the thing really is.     The unit is a full 84 inch width, so I think that means the dinette bed is going to be longer then in a rpod.  Great if you are really tall, not sure if it would matter otherwise.
The 716FD has a base weight starting at 2581 before options, so it starts out about 480lb's heaver then the rpod 172's dry weight.    Not sure if that will be an issue with your tow capacity.   Most of the features looks fairly  close to that of the 172. 
Looks like the 716FD can use a standard awning, which is something you can't do easily with an RPOD.  We do have the R-Dome/addaroom thing for the r-pod which I personally like.  But its kind of a love it or hate it kind of thing.  

Looks like there is a fold down bunk over the dinette at the front of the 716FD?   From photo's looks darn narrow.   The other two beds at the back (one is a bunk) on the aerolite look awful narrow as well.    I personally bought a 172 because I liked the 42inch wide bunks, that I felt my son was less likely to fall out of.  And with the bunk sizes I knew it would fit my son for quite a long time unless he turns into a basketball player, but then the fridge would probably be too small to carry enough food as well.

There are alot more windows on the aerolite, and looks like it lets in much more lite into the trailer then on the 172.   The absense on windows on the front of the 172 can make it darn inside if you are inside with the door shut.   I personally am looking at retrofitting some portholes in it to let my son see outside while he is napping in the bunk

I am surprised you found a 2007 716fd for 6k less then a 172.    But alot of bargains on the used market right now due to the economy.    I have to say they are darn cute little trailers.   The narrow bunks would kill the deal for me, but thats just me and I have a son who switches direction in bed about 5 times a night.

Buying an RV is always a very personal thing.  With different priorities and likes and dislikes.  All I can recommend it make a list of priorities, and likes and dislikes of the two trailers and make the choice that is best for you based on your tow vehicle, financial situation, and how you will live in the trailer.

gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 5:54pm
FYI:  The 18'2" length of the 172 is tip to trailer tail, not including spare tire.   Spare tire ads another 16" on the back.  So ended up with a length of 19'6"

And looks like the "registered dmv length" for the 716fd might indeed be 16'8".    Since there is a spare that would put at around 17''8' or so?   Only way to know for sure is to go measure one.   
rpodmania View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpodmania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 6:33pm
Is that tip to tip including the tongue(hitch).
Curious as ive never check to see the length of my 171
It said 18.2 but wasnt sure if that included the tongue(hitch)
2010 171
Ford f-150 5.4L
Bakes99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakes99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 6:51pm
You guys are awesome, 

Live in Canada, best deal I can find in my province is 17,500 with AC and Rdome for a 2010.  Most other dealers are selling them for 19-20+ grand.  The Aerolite is a 2007 private sell (save some tax dollars) going for 12000.   Was really counting on the Rpod to be around 18.5 feet with the spare removed to the tongue as my driveway is small (18ft7inches to the side walk from my garage) so that was good news.  I will be towing it with a Honda Ridgeline, so weight shouldnt be a concern for either trailer.  As for sleeping arrangements,  I'm 6 foot and wife is 5,10. We wont spend any time in the bunks, hoping the dinette setup will do and won't be too cramped. Just kids in the bunks.  As stated, by another, cant get spec sizes for the 716 bunks.

Thought this being an Rpod forum, everyone would try and sway me to the Rpod.  Almost hoping for it.  Disliked the style at first but now its totally grown on me.  The Aerolite is pretty much a box but well equipped.  The Zoom seller hasn't responded to me as of yet so it may be a non issue. Hitting the RV show this Saturday.  
Everyone I know thinks I'm turning to an old geezer for buying a trailer, but I spent a lot of summers with a lot of great memories as a kid in a trailer.  Now I want to do the same with my son and with another on the way.

Thanks all
J

gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by rpodmania rpodmania wrote:

Is that tip to tip including the tongue(hitch).
Curious as ive never check to see the length of my 171
It said 18.2 but wasnt sure if that included the tongue(hitch)

My notes show about 15.2' (183inches) for the cabin.  18'2" should be for the cabin+trailer tongue.   But can't remember if cabin dimension is the floor dimension or the largest dimention for the trailer cabin.  (thing actually bulges out in the front.)   Will take out my plum bob and some chaulk and get some accurate measurements in the morning.
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2009 at 4:42am
We own a 172 and love it.  It has everything we need from fridge, microwave, and shower to being lightweight.  Personally, I also prefer to have new things.  The dimensions aren't a big issue for me today as we store the unit at the family farm and the barn was designed to hold a 30' Airstream
Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic