r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Microwave/Convection Fire Hazard??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXBoondocker1217 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 4:45pm

20 amp it is, thanks to all who discussed this problem...I now feel secure that my dealer is making the right choice. 

Steve & Carole
Scooter & Sophy(4 legged kids)
2010 RP-172 R-Pod "Rose Pod"
2008 Toyota 4Runner "Rose Pedal

How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you are??
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 6:08pm
Before everyone runs off and asks forest river to fix the breaker, wiring and outlet for their microwave.    I talked with the microwave manufacturer today, a local electrical inspector, and verified the numbers on the back of the microwave and the 15amp breaker is fine.

Microwave only requires a dedicated 15amp circuit.

Now that being said, the outlet the microwave plugs into has an open plug that isn't used.   Do yourself a favor and put a child safety plug in the extra plug socket so remind you never to use it.

Per call with Manufacturer:
Grilling  1350watts   12AMP MAX
Convection 1350watts 12AMP Max
Microwave 1450 watts 12.5 AMPS MAX

Under the NEC code the microwave is considered to be an intermittent load which means it doesn't have to be under 80% of the breakers rating.   80% rule only applies to continuous loads which are defined as "A load in which the maximum current is expect to continue for 3 hours or more".   Even if the microwave is used for 3 hours on "microwave" mode the internal cycling occuring inside the microwave causes the device to be classified as an intermittent non-continuous load as the magnitron doesn't run continously while cooking.

Pulled the microwave and took some pictures of the back, and it matches what I was told on the phone.

Edit:  9/28 10:44  to maintain consistency with NEC terminology
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 6:28pm
Thanks for a great and thorough job.

From what I've learned from this thread, if ever have electrical issues while camping the first thing I'll do is check the campground voltage.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 2:44am
Great job clearing this up, gmandual.  Thanks!
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 5:05am
    I thought by this morning there would be a answer. I thank gmandual, techntrek, and eveyone else for there time and effort. Perhaps as far as according to code a 20 amp is required, its not considered a built in or trailers are different from a residential home. And why others have had problems with the 15 amp breaker tripping while microwave is in use, is maybe a result of the electrical supply to the trailer.     David and Danette
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 6:26am
I went back and edited some of my prior posts, as I had made some statements about the microwave that weren't based on the manufacturesr numbers so they where guesses.

But per the NEC code only a 15 amp dedicated circuit is required for the microwave whether its built into a trailer or a household.   The one caveat that I got from the eletrical inspector was that the NEC code is viewed as a "minimum" requirement and that inspectors our allowed to apply higher standards of safety based on situational factors.   So some inspectors could require a 20amp breaker for this microwave, if it was built into a space that someday could be upgraded to a higher wattage one.   But from a safety of this particular model its not required and doesn't cause a safety issue.
techntrek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 7:25am
I was going on NEC 110.3(B), which requires installation based on the labelling of the appliance - and most microwaves specifiy a 20 amp breaker.  Interesting that this one only asks for a 15 amp breaker.
'10 Forest River R-pod 171
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cane2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 9:46am
You might want to Google  Sylvina sc-11100 . It sounds like the problems may NOT be with the Pod. I have been looking for a micro-convection that will fit the pod and most do not have good reports. These are the ones in the $200.00 to $300 price range.
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 11:02am
REMOVED FOR COPYRIGHT
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 1:02pm
Rpodcamper,

Wow I feel stupid.   Talk about jumping to a conclusion.   I totally forgot to consider the fact that forestriver might not have supplied the same microwave in all the r-pods, and its bound to change over time.   From the looks of it the SC-11100 might be the previous model year before the SB-22200., but looks like it might be a totally different brand.  Will have to see what I can dig up.    But not sure.  will see when I get home.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic