r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Microwave/Convection Fire Hazard??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 1:04pm
  Huron Sailor ; Have you heard anything from Forest River ? And why as Huron Sailor had said on a previous post on page 4 of the manual that it requires 20 amps. The model in our trailer is a SC-11100. I am going to remove it and see what the back label says. In our manual it is the same 20 amps.  Confused   David
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 1:08pm
    The manual for the SB-22200 says 20amp breaker in it on mine to, but its not what the appliance safetly  label says on the back or what is required per NEC wiring regulations based on publishes ratings. 
The manufacturer gave me the specs on the SB-22200 but couldn't explain why the manual says 20amps.   It wouldn't be the first time that I have found major descrepencies between the manual for a device and the physical device though.
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 1:17pm
David and Danette:

Nothing from Forest River yet.

Hold up on pulling out the oven. I noticed the oven in the photos was also different from mine, mine is the Sylvania SC-11100 just like yours. I already pulled it out today and looked at the back. The tag on the back of the unit itself says it requires it's own 15A circuit. 

So we're good. I suspect the trouble may have been with the oven itself all along. I've read a couple of threads here about folks who've had to have their micros replaced by FR.

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 1:20pm
    That is what I just did 15 amp is the labeled requirement. I agree it must be a printing error.   David
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 1:26pm
This forum is awesome.

We've discussed, debated, investigated, researched, and come to a conclusion on the problem before FR even returned a phone call.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 6:43am
I spoke with Mike at FR today... he is going to get back to me shortly on this... bear in mind that FR uses the microwaves in the Surveyor and r-pod lines - they bulk buy them from the manufacturer and do change models even brands from time to time due to buying conditions... not all r-pods are made the same.. we have even seen some that were produced on the same production run have difference applicance models... if you look at the back of the r-pod brochoure you will see a disclaimer that covers this... nothing sneaky, just adapting to business and supplier changes.
admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 4:51am
I talked to Mike at FR last night... the A/C unit did get the Thermostat added but it is still an 11,000 BTU A/C ... the power consumption on it has not changed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 5:36am
Just heard from Susan at FR. She said they've been in contact with the oven manufacturer, and the apparent difference in current requirements between the manual and the oven tag is due to sloppy wording in the manual. The manual should state that if the oven is not plugged into a dedicated circuit, it should be 20A. If a dedicated circuit us used, like in the rPod, a 15A circuit is fine.

Whether this will result in the manuals being revised or not, who knows? But at least we're reading them ...
TXBoondocker1217 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXBoondocker1217 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 5:53pm
Just to let all of you know that we picked up our R-Pod this afternoon.  Thumbs Up  FR sent a new Sunbeam Microwave/Convection Oven.  The dealer could not get it to  cycle to cook (in the Compu Bake mode) It will PreHeat for ever....however it is getting hotter & hotter (guess not hot enough to engage the safety feature).  He unplugged it and put a call to FR.  We need the trailer for the weekend and will be boondocking (drycamping) so do not need the M/C Oven. 

Again I wanted to see if I could get it to work, other wise I will be asking for my $300 back and get my own microwave. 

I used the convection oven and cooked a tv dinner.  I then used the compu bake mode and baked canned biscuits.....The only difference that I can think of is the service guys do not know how the oven works and were setting it and going off to do something else, where I was reading while it preheated and was there when the oven said place food in oven.  Any way, I will let dealer know that the oven will not cycle out of preheat when in the Compu mode.  It does cycle when the regular mode...

Thanks to all of you who responded and now I know more than I wanted to about electricity...LOL

Carole
Steve & Carole
Scooter & Sophy(4 legged kids)
2010 RP-172 R-Pod "Rose Pod"
2008 Toyota 4Runner "Rose Pedal

How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you are??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic