r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crank handle broken on tongue jack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crank handle broken on tongue jack
    Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 1:12pm
Well, we were just packing up to come home last night when the tongue jack handle broke.

I had backed the car up to hook it up to the trailer, and was about to crank the tongue jack down onto the ball. I made it about two turns when the handle came off in my hand.

I took the cover off the screw jack to see if I could repair it, but the axle part of the handle had broken in two right at the roll pin. The roll pin keeps the handle and the upper bevel gear that is attached to it together.

I had noticed since we purchased the trailer that the gears always felt like they weren't meshing quite right when I turned the handle.

Heading to the dealer tomorrow to get a new handle.

I haven't seen any other posts on this subject so hopefully it's an isolated incident.

Doug
Snooper
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 2:48pm
_popupControl(); Mine has a crack at the base and will probably let go sometime soon.
Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
Purdycat87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purdycat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 2:44pm
Our handle broke off the 2nd time we ever used our 176T.  Of course that was day 2 of a 2 week trek.  VERY fiddly. 
It took FR 5 weeks to get the part to my local shop here in Victoria - meaning we lost the entire month of August for camping. :(
new one seems not very sturdy either.
I'm a widow but keeping camping going for my 2 kids in our 2011 176T with a 2007 Odyssey.
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 2:53pm
I replaced my trailer jack with a top handle jack that I bought at a local store.  It works fine but you have to angle it up while cranking to miss the lp tank.  The price was right at $29 and they are available just about anyplace that sells any kind of trailer.  The flange bolted right into the holes on the hitch plate.  It's something to keep in mind if you are on a trip and have the side handle jack break.  The one I got is rated at 3500 pounds, so it cranks with less effort. 

Lark 171  F-150
Lark
Phil H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 7:03am
Our tongue jack broke (the gears stripped) while at a campground in New York this past summer. I had to get a couple of people to stand on the rear bumper of my truck to be able to get the hitch low enough to get hooked up.

Fortunately, my dealer, Can-am, was able to replace it under warranty with a generic model that they had in stock. It actually works better and is a bit heavier duty than the original.
2010 R-pod 171 (sold)
2010 Surveyor SV251 towed by a 2010 Chevrolet Avalanche
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 9:45am
We had ours replaced under warranty. Fortunately it did not break while we were towing or camping. My hubby was not happy with its performance from the start. Our dealer replaced it along with other problems right at the beginning
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
Gator View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 4:14pm
     Doug,  One of the first mods I made to my 177 was to replace the factory tongue jack with
one that has a wheel and bolts to the side of the tongue and swings up out of the way.
One big advantage is with the wheel it is very easy to move your pod around. I have on several
camping trips turned my pod completely around by hand after detatching it from my tv, to have
my rdome facing my friends camper next door. Most pads are wide enough to do this by myself.
Another advantage is if your tv is a pick up, it is not in the way if you need to put you tailgate
down while you are hooked up.  Great investment for under $50.
Gator & Tammy
2010 r-pod 177 "LoadeD"
'06 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 RED
Houma, La.
CCDAMEEK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCDAMEEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 6:31am
You are not alone with the tongue jack.  Mine was broken the very first time I tried to unhitch after leaving the dealer.  As you discribed, the gears just were not meshing correctly and it felt sloppy.  Then I realized that the handl was actually trying to fall out.  Was able to keep the handle in by holding it carefully.  Forest River replaced it under warranty. 
FREEDOM AINT FREE. THANK YOU TO OUR TROOPS, AND LOCAL LAW OFFICERS KEEPING US SAFE.

Francis & Christine D'Amico
Lake Havasu-Arizona
Bill in NL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill in NL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 8:42pm
There is a little black square where the handle meets the jack.  It aligns the handle as it goes into the gears. This little thingy broke early into my first summer with the r-pod.  When I brought it to the dealer, they put a new jack on right away, no issues at all, so I'm happy with the way the dealer "handled" the problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic