r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Furnace

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furnace
    Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 7:49am
Since we are planning a trip next week boondocking, we decided to test our furnace last night at home.  Our 172 has the wall switch (temp control) you just put if on the temp desired.  the furnace fan came on right away and then you could hear it light.  It turned off and we waited for it to cycle back on, the furnace fan came on but it failed to light during the second cycle.  Getting a little concerned about the gas I turned the thermostat off.  Waited a few minutes then cut it back on,,, furnace ran through 3 cycles lighting each time now.  Has this happened to anyone else or is this something I should be concerned with??  What if during the night the furnace fails to light?  Is it supposed to light each cycle or shouldn't a pilot light just stay lit?  Confused
Chuck and Bev
2010 R-Pod 172

Happy Trails!!!!
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 12:13pm
It should be an electronic ignition, no pilot light.

Terry
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 12:34pm
It could be air/moisture in your propane lines, the furnace will sometimes not kick on and cycle correctly if you haven't purged air from your lines.   When I park to camp I usually turn on the propane, light a burner on the stove to make sure air has been mostly purged from the lines.   Then I turn on the water heater let it run for a bit then cycle the furnace to make sure its working. 

These "no pilot"  furnaces don't open up gas full untill they get a light from the  electric lighter gizmo and that happens on each start.   These furnaces can have problem purging air from the lines as they let so little gas out while trying to ignite, if they can't ignite they shut down gas valve in furnace.    So if you have recently disconnected a propane tank, or haven't used the propane for quite a while while its been in storage you can get air in the lines and possibly moisture and that can cause intermittant ignition.
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by gmandual gmandual wrote:

These "no pilot"  furnaces don't open up gas full untill they get a light from the  electric lighter gizmo and that happens on each start.

LOL did the g-man use "gizmo" ???

Thanks g-man !!

You have a way of explaining things that I can actually understand !!!
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by PodPatrol PodPatrol wrote:

Originally posted by gmandual gmandual wrote:

These "no pilot"  furnaces don't open up gas full untill they get a light from the  electric lighter gizmo and that happens on each start.

LOL did the g-man use "gizmo" ???

Thanks g-man !!

You have a way of explaining things that I can actually understand !!!

Big smile Well not sure if its technically a gizmo or a doodad.  But don't have the manual handy. 

When you turn on the thermostat you should hear the blower come on.    From the furnace you should hear a click which is a relay, then you should here a zap which should be the ignitor gizmo.   If you continue to hear zaps then it usually a gas supply issue which is usually air in lines.    If it continues to go zap, then after certain amount of zaps, you will usually hear another click and the furnace will shut off.   At that point it has given up, till its cycled again with the thermostat.
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 2:13pm
It's a thingyLOL
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
techntrek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 5:12pm
whatchamacallit
'10 Forest River R-pod 171
duder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 4:19am
SmileThanks for all the replies!  It was the first time that the funace had ever been turned on.  So I am guessing it was air in the lines, that is what I suggested to my husband !  But he has a hard time believing a woman when it comes to these things!LOL
Chuck and Bev
2010 R-Pod 172

Happy Trails!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic