r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Axle Riser Installation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 2:16pm
I think I am going to contact Brandon at Couch's...
I had assumed that there was just one method to increase the clearance on thes R-Pods.
But it appears that there are two methods at a much different cost.
tsunami
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by PodPatrol PodPatrol wrote:

Not to confuse the issue, but there seems to be a difference between the axle risers and the 4" lift kit ???

Im very confused on this issue. Cindy (Pie_Pod) talked w/Couch's and there seems to be
some kind of a difference ??

It axle risers and 4inch lift should be the same thing.   There is one price which is lower if the axle risers (4 inch lift) is installed at the factory.   Then there is a different cost for the parts if the are ordered after production and installed at the dealership

If you have the axle risers installed at the factory before the dealer takes deliver it around $100 as its done at time unit is built.    Was quoted $250 if you wanted the same risers installed after dealer has received the trailer.   The price you get "quoted" by couch's could vary depending on whether or not they are ordering in a custom trailer for you or whether or not they are adding them to a trailer that is already on the lot.  I am surprised by Tsunami's post that it costs $250 for risers and he has to install them himself.  As I just called my local dealer and he told me his price was $100 parts $150 labor = $250 and he wasn't aware of a price increase.

PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 4:14pm
I was just going by what I heard from Cindy after she spoke to
Couch's. G-mans description is probably the correct information.
I can understand the cost difference between factory & dealer.
Perhaps things differ from dealer to dealer.
Evidently the "lift-kit" is normally added during the ordering
process, then installed on the Pod at the factory.
Pertaining to "our" Pod (177) Couch's called the factory &
then called her back saying the "lift-kit" would be installed
at a cost of around $100.
Cindy "got" the impression there were TWO different types
of Axel lifters. But perhaps it's the same thing, the only difference
is when they are installed, thus determining the cost to owner.
My assumption is the lower cost is factory install, the bigger
cost is Dealer install, as G-man explained earlier.

HAPPY PODing !!!
tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2009 at 3:37am
I just got a reply from Brannon at Couch's about the axle risers:

The unit costs $100 when ordered with the R-Pod from the factory.
Couch's RV charges $200 for the risers from Forest River parts and $50 for the shipping.

Brannon had mentioned to me that if I ordered a new unit from the factory that the
risers would cost only $100 extra.
But he offered me such a good price on a unit he had in stock, that I couldn't turn
down the price even if the risers were charged at a premium.
I still saved a bundle.

There is only one package to increase the unit height. (axle risers same as lift)
tsunami
Pie_Pod View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie_Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2009 at 3:54am
Great Tsunami! 

Thanks for the clarification.  I guess I just didn't understand what Brannon was telling me.  I asked for the lift kit and he said he thought  there was a month wait.  He called Forrest River since our 177 is due to come off the line on Oct 15th.  When he called me back, he said the factory could install the axel risers.  I thought they were two different things.  Ted, (PodPatrol) has been dealing with all the technical aspects of the r-pod.  LP tanks, the risers, batteries.  I should have made him call Couches instead of me. 

~cindy (Pod_Patrol's Girl)
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2009 at 4:10am
You did fine !!!
joe&carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe&carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2009 at 4:25am
We had our axle risers installed by the same garage that does overall service on our vehicles.  Had the wheel bearings packed while we were at it as we'd been 5,000 miles with our 173. Couch's had the risers sent to us here in Colorado.  Installation was $150.  Was a very good investment to get that extra 4" of lift and get away from scraping the back end, tearing off stabilizer jacks, facilitate waste-tank drainage, etc.
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2009 at 8:00am
They are definitely worth it for protecting the bottom of the unit as we found with our rental unit this was an issue- however one other misconception that, at least I had, was I thought the risers would be something that assisted the unit to go higher and lower at will. When we picked up our unit- I as a bit surprised to find out that it is a permanent height adjustment for the rpod and our storage cover (vinyl garage) for over the winter now became a few inches too short. We are working to get that raised up.

Always something....but I don't regret getting the axle risers for piece of mind considering the hills and rocks we can now go over.

They are considered a $100 "upgrade" if ordered directly from the factory- but you are later at the mercy of the dealer if you have to pay for the risers with shipping and labor as an after market item. I do trust Couch's to keep that cost to an acceptable minimum.
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2009 at 8:35am
Order my Risers today through my dealer.  Don't know if they will get here in time for installation for next trip.  I decided sometime ago that I was going to get them, just waiting for the extra cash.  I'll keep you guys posted.

Lee
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
boldham View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boldham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 7:04am
Originally posted by tsunami tsunami wrote:

Prices on the axle risers have gone up!
Just ordered my risers from Couches: $250 and I have to install them!
I confirmed this is true. It will cost you $250 to buy risers to install yourself (from Couch's)! If you're buying an R-Pod and are considering risers, I'd keep this in mind. It appears cheaper to order with risers and you don't have to do the work!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic