FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pet Safety

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ChaiPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChaiPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pet Safety
    Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 11:55am
Tattoos fade over time and become illegible. What was once an "E" probably now looks like an "8" or a "B".  Breeders usually tattoo their breeder # on the inside ear of the pet.  When we got ours 7 years ago, she already had a tattoo but today we can hardly read it.

About a month after we first got her, someone tried to untie and take her outside our local coffee shop. Angry  Luckily, other dog owners and the staff of that coffee shop were watching and stopped it.  The person who tried to take her just walked off as if nothing was unusual about what they just tried to do!  The thing is, I had called ahead, placed my order and paid over the phone, I only went inside to pick up my drink and water for the dog when they waved at me through the window that it was ready.  The pickup counter was less than 4 ft from the door and the entire process took less than 30-seconds! Shocked

this-is-nascar is right, we have to take precautions and be mindful of others wherever we go.  Dogs behave differently when their people are not around and may howl, cry or destroy.  There are also people out there watching and waiting to take your pet, as a child molester is watching and waiting to take your child.  Sadly law enforcement often readily dismisses the theft of a pet unlike that of a child. Ouch
2009 r.pod 152

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

Not really a fair comparison. We can take a toddler with us into a grocery store, a restaurant, an amusement park, a museum, etc., etc., etc. So we are left with trying to protect our pets as best we can. If we could take our pets everywhere like we can a toddler, there'd be no need for this discussion.

-- Steve

Clap Thumbs Up
IPodAlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 8:19am

Maybe we should say that pets are an important living part of our households but we cannot and should not treat them like children.  And here is where I'm going to make some people mad:  I want to control my animals so they do not impinge on others BUT I want them to have the freedoms of an animal (or even a human to some degree with some freedom of movement).  My pet peeve is people that never go to the trouble of allowing their dogs to truly stretch out and run.  They keep them on a leash forever.  A lot of that is our fear of losing them rather than what's best for the animal.  So when I get a new dog, I start out on a leash, then I move to making them come back to me while the leash is just dragging, etc.  So I work on them coming back .....Now do they always do that?  No, and I've had some heart stopping moments/hours.  I know that not everyone has the access to areas without a lot of people but I go to the trouble of finding those nearest to my home and using them some with my dogs.  (I have used pet parks and here is my fear showing....I'm always worried about the dogs as they get into a "gang mentality" so I'm still uncomfortable in those.) 

If we're going to have animals, we need to think about their needs rather than ours or our fears.  How many of us really walk our animals to the degree they need when leashed?  So yes, if I'm on a not heavily used trail, I let my dogs off the leash and I watch/listen for other people/animals and leash them if I see anyone but I'm going to hike with my dogs off leash except for the really popular areas.  I also know that sometimes my dogs then greet other hikers before I can get them and I wouldn't do this with a dog I was unsure of but I hope those hikers tolerance level extends to the same tolerance level I have to have when I'm eating in a restaurant with someone's kids running around my table.  (I don't love it but won't get irritated if it's stopped at some point.)

Whee, what a sound-off.  Obviously I'm very opinionated but it's just that: an opinion.
2010 Rp 171
Towed with 2011 Ford Expedition
Co-pilots: Abby & Brownie
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 8:02am
Not really a fair comparison. We can take a toddler with us into a grocery store, a restaurant, an amusement park, a museum, etc., etc., etc. So we are left with trying to protect our pets as best we can. If we could take our pets everywhere like we can a toddler, there'd be no need for this discussion.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 7:54am
From a non-pet owner, may I offer up an observation?  You "pet-owners" more times than not, label your dogs/cats as "a member of the family", "your children", etc.  Do any of you tattoo or place a chip in your toddlers?  Do any of you leave your 2-year old unattended, just ready for the taking?  I'd expect the answer is no and you simply exercise the proper caution to insure your toddler is always safe and out of harms way.  I'd think you would want to practice that with any and all "members of your family".

To me, the entire premise of the "Pet Safety" thread puts your pet on a much lower level than that of a "family member".

Just an observation and opinion.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 6:11am
Our dog has a chip as well as full contact information on her dog tags and collar. However, the first thing a dog thief (or even someone who finds your pet and decides they want to keep it) does is throw away the collar and tags. I'm wondering if anyone has had their pet tattooed? Where do they put the tattoo and how much does it cost? And what does the tattoo say (your SS#, pet's name)?

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
IPodAlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 10:13pm
My two have the chip and I've been using the idea on here of the temporary tag.  My dogs' collars have their name and my cell phone number in big letters sewn in as part of the collar.
2010 Rp 171
Towed with 2011 Ford Expedition
Co-pilots: Abby & Brownie
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Peggy L. Peggy L. wrote:

We simply cannot leave Boon alone. He's a beagle, howls fluently and suffers from bad separation anxiety. I envy those who can actually leave their dogs in the camper. We have been able to do it when we're at a roundup and are just a couple campsites over though. I think as long as we don't start up the truck we're okay.

Thanks for recognizing that Peggy and taking appropriate precautions.  It's very much appreciated.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

We've experienced what you're talking about with the barking dogs. Our dog doesn't do that. However, whenever we leave our pup in a motel room or in our rpod, we notify the manager we're leaving our dog in our room/camper and give him/her our cell phone number. We tell them our dog is not a barker but if she should start to bark for some reason, to call us and we'll return to take care of the problem. They always appreciate this and we've never been called.

-- Steve

That's very considerate of you Steve.  Let me thank you for that.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180

ChaiPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChaiPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 2:19pm
We have her microchipped and registered with 2 companies: Home Again and 24petwatch.  We have also paid extra for emergency care insurance if she is found hurt and they find a microchip on her and call.

We also have a "camping collar" which is a reflective collar and lead that hopefully will remain on her if she gets away.  

When on the road, we have a small soup thermos that I put ice cubes in for her when traveling on hot summer days. She always knows there's an icy treat in her thermos and knows to ask for it.  It's an extra incentive for her to come back :)  We recently got a hand-crank ice shaver and plan to make snow cones for ourselves and pet snow cones for her (chicken broth snow cones).  However she does have a strong prey drive and we lost her a few times as a puppy when she broke free of her collar and ran after a cat, a fox and a rabbit into the marsh/woods.  It took a few hours for us to get her back. Once, she went back to the house and was sitting next to her thermos, another time she didn't come back out until she got the rabbit.  The extra collar was missing the last time.

In the pod, we have a pet first aid kit with gauze, vet-wrap and instant ice as well as a space blanket and some treats.  There are also extra collars, tags, a copy of her pet health insurance, partially completed "Lost Pet" posters, extra photos of her and photos of us as family to prove that she's ours.   
2009 r.pod 152

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic