r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camping with Pets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pet Safety

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pet Safety
    Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 10:23am
When out camping with no cell phone service, I always worry about Dougie getting lost. I just had someone suggest buying those very cheap round key tags that you can write on and putting the campground name and site number on it and placing it on hs collar in case he is found in the area.
Of course he also has a chip, but the campground site number seems like an extra level of safety.
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 11:13am
My border collie spooked and bolted in August while we were hiking a portage trail in Algonquin.  Normally, she's extraordinarily attentive, always comes when called and I had never had any fear of her being off-leash... until this incident.

Anyway, while I searched for her along the 4500m trail, she made it out to the highway and 15km back to our campground.  How she knew where to go is beyond me.  She was caught by the rangers as she was making her way back to our site.  The rangers checked her tags, found the one with my cell phone number on it and called me.  Three hours after she bolted, we were back together.

My advice: always make sure that you plan ahead for getting separated from your dog.  A temporary tag with your site number on it sounds like an excellent idea.  Also: contact the rangers immediately if you become separated - if I had, they would have got ahold of me when she was spotted trotting down the highway as opposed to hours later when they finally were able to corner her.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
duder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 11:36am
thanks for the information on pets, we have a nine year old Old English Sheepdog and are planning to take him on his first camping trip.  He is very well mannered but you never know when they may get out of your sight! Shocked
Chuck and Bev
2010 R-Pod 172

Happy Trails!!!!
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 3:52pm
It is absolutely amazing how they find their way to you even in a strange place. Mine is about 8 years old and we live in the country so am used to no leash walks and he minds and stays extremely well. Most campgrounds require leashes, which is good, but I did notice the minute the rpod door is open he darts out. One scent of a strange dog next door, and I could see him taking off on a new adventure Broken Heart
Dougie looks like a little lap dog, but he definitely has the Cocker Spaniel part of him come out at a campsite and loves to take a long hike. New trees to tag every 5 feet!!
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
duder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 4:12am
Yeah, we live in the country too, no leashes required!  We have 3 four legged kids,,all rescues!  One 9yoa Old English, 1 blue heeler mix, and our newest is a blue eyed catahoula curr. ( we thought he was a rottie when he was found at approx 6-8 weeks old but turned out he is a huge hound dog.  His name is Dude, hince "duder"! Was at a loss for a name when I registered on this forum as I was very excited to become a part of the R-Pod Nation!
Hope to take each one with us at some point, one at a time though!   Will definitely put a tag on them with our info just in case!  Big smile
Chuck and Bev
2010 R-Pod 172

Happy Trails!!!!
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 6:50am
I have been looking at the petfinder tags/service.

http://www.finderproducts.com/products_petfinder.htm

Basically there is a tag with a 1-800 number and ID number you put on pets collar.   As pet owner you can call in at any time and change message that people would hear if they find the pet.    And you can set contact phone numbers as well.    The service will auto route the person who calls in to the first number, if no answer, it automatically rings second number, etc.

Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 11:36am
All great ideas- I would have never thought to look for a ranger right away, but that makes so much sense. I love the idea of the 1-800 number so you can change the message depending on where you are in your travels.

I'm also a big advocate of microchips as well, though I would never think of leaving a collar off, the microchip is permanent. I use this company as recommended by my vet http://public.homeagain.com/

And yes- I have only had rescue dogs- I have a hard time with breeding when there are so many out there waiting for a forever home.
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
tturbo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tturbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 3:43pm
I paid a lot for the microchip it would be silly not to keep this information UTD. I can't tell you how many times I've found pets without a collar, probably why I found them in the first place Wink all I can do is take them to a local shelter or call the pound services where the chip will be their only ID.

But I also have my chip info on the tag, it's accessible to anyone through their website, yes they will have to phone my cell but I would be willing to bet most wouldn't care about the costs if it reunites a pet to owner. The Petfinder ID option is good too, but put updating your chip info on your camping list of things to do before you go.

I like the idea of putting a temporary tag on them though with your campsite number on it and notifying the ranger or operator that would probably be a little more reassuring.
Tess&Brad
R-Pod 173T
'07 Hyundai Sante Fe V6
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 11:20pm
Wouldn't it be better if everyone just leashed walked their pet? If they bolt, you have control and you wont have to worry about calling the ranger.

We just got a puppy for our kids and he's leashed walked everywhere. We will have his kennel under the bunks for when we camp with him. Just a bit concerned about negative temps when he needs to potty. He has plenty of room and heat in the trailer.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
Brin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2010 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Kenn Kenn wrote:

Wouldn't it be better if everyone just leashed walked their pet? If they bolt, you have control and you wont have to worry about calling the ranger.

We just gut a puppy for our kids and he's leashed walked everywhere. We will have his kennel under the bunks for when we camp with him. Just a bit concerned about negative temps when he needs to potty. He has plenty of room and heat in the trailer.

It certainly is best to keep on a leash as one cannot predict what may spook most dogs---squirrels, deer, other dogs, and for some a falling leaf.   If we are playing fetch in a non fenced area, we will often use a long training lead that we keep hold of the end.  That way I can make sure she doesn't get  distracted. 
I would also suggest the contingency plan of the microchip AND the ID tag in case you still lose the dog off lead---slips the collar, you fall, etc.  Some dogs enjoy playing keep away and while it is best to train them to come in all circumstances, it is not realistic to assume that your dog will always obey.  Believe me, I speak from personal experience of having my dog "lost" wandering around Shenandoah National Park for three weeks before she let someone catch her.   The tag and the multiple posters I had placed allowed the finder to easily contact me.  The hard part was catching that silly dog -- not my current dog. 
Terri and Craig and Panzer
R-pod 175, 2009
2000 F250 XLT Extended Cab, Diesel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic