r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camping with Pets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pet Safety

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2010 at 7:09pm
A pet first aid kit is also a good thing.  ASPCA has them or you can make your own.
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

YakDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 6:36pm
Our boy is chipped, too, but I really liked the suggestion of the temporary tag. I'm headed to the office supply store for some now since we have a trip planned for Thursday.
YakDriver, Ain't Leo, Chaz and Lil Harry in grrr-Pod

2013 r-Pod 182G Hood River; 2013 Ford F150 STX

YakDriver's Blog
Purdycat87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purdycat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 5:19pm
Sure keeping your dog on a leash is ideal.  But I know my dog has escaped out of the trailer numerous times if my kids leave the door open.  Also my dog is a mama's boy.  Last camping trip we walked to the beach area with the dog (on a leash).  We were invited to kayak with friends, so my son took the dog back to the trailer.  As he unclipped the dog - the dog RAN all the way back to me at the beach at the other end of the campground.
I love the idea of  a portable tag with the campsite number.  Will grab some at the dollar store and leave them in the trailer.
I'm a widow but keeping camping going for my 2 kids in our 2011 176T with a 2007 Odyssey.
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2012 at 11:07pm
All great ideas.  I am a big leash person.  Our small dog is chipped but many rural vets don't have the equipment to read them, even if they are found.  Also, and this is a big one, when camping we are mostly away from civilization and our pets cna be just another food opportunity for a larger animal.  Dogs are easily distracted and even the most abiding dogs can get a whiff of something and they're off on the hunt.  Hopefully that great scent is not a larger predator.  Keep 'em on a leash.  My two cents.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 lb.) Mini Dachshund
2013 Rpod 171HRE (Pods-of-Luck)
2005 Chev. Tahoe
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 7:02am
Our little Rat Terrier is a great traveling dog and she does well staying in the Rpod when we go off to places where pets can't go. However, in the summer, we're always concerned that the air conditioning might cut off for some reason and we'll come back to find a cooked dog. We found out that sometimes, the campground host or manager will check in on her a couple of times a day. When we were at a KOA in Yellowstone, one of the teenage kids working there as a summer job kept an eye on her for us. We were gone from the campground for most of theday for 3 days. We paid him $20 and he checked on our dog several times a day, walked her on her leash, gave her some treats, and made sure she had plenty of water.
We found one campground that actually advertised a pet watching service. I'm surprised more don't do this. Seems like it might add a nice revenue stream.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 7:44am
For all you  folks that feel your dogs "do just fine" if/when left alone in the camper while you're out exploring....................... next time when you return from an outing, ask your camping neighbors if there was any problem with the dog(s) barking while you were away.  I'll venture to guess, based on my camping experiences, that 85% of you that feel your dog does just fine, don't realize that your dog started barking from the time you left until the time he/she heard you come back.  Your dog(s) is not a well behaved alone, as you might think.

Note:  I didn't read this thread, but always take the opportunity to mention this when I see a thread concerning dogs and camping.  I've had many trips ruined because of this.  Half of those confronted about this deny that it's "their dog" that was barking while they were gone, even though it was very clear to me and my wife where the noise/disturbance was coming from.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 7:56am
We've experienced what you're talking about with the barking dogs. Our dog doesn't do that. However, whenever we leave our pup in a motel room or in our rpod, we notify the manager we're leaving our dog in our room/camper and give him/her our cell phone number. We tell them our dog is not a barker but if she should start to bark for some reason, to call us and we'll return to take care of the problem. They always appreciate this and we've never been called.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Peggy L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peggy L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 8:32am
We simply cannot leave Boon alone. He's a beagle, howls fluently and suffers from bad separation anxiety. I envy those who can actually leave their dogs in the camper. We have been able to do it when we're at a roundup and are just a couple campsites over though. I think as long as we don't start up the truck we're okay.
Traveling with Herb and the Boon-doggie

2010 r-pod 171 pulled by '11 Silverado
ChaiPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChaiPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 2:19pm
We have her microchipped and registered with 2 companies: Home Again and 24petwatch.  We have also paid extra for emergency care insurance if she is found hurt and they find a microchip on her and call.

We also have a "camping collar" which is a reflective collar and lead that hopefully will remain on her if she gets away.  

When on the road, we have a small soup thermos that I put ice cubes in for her when traveling on hot summer days. She always knows there's an icy treat in her thermos and knows to ask for it.  It's an extra incentive for her to come back :)  We recently got a hand-crank ice shaver and plan to make snow cones for ourselves and pet snow cones for her (chicken broth snow cones).  However she does have a strong prey drive and we lost her a few times as a puppy when she broke free of her collar and ran after a cat, a fox and a rabbit into the marsh/woods.  It took a few hours for us to get her back. Once, she went back to the house and was sitting next to her thermos, another time she didn't come back out until she got the rabbit.  The extra collar was missing the last time.

In the pod, we have a pet first aid kit with gauze, vet-wrap and instant ice as well as a space blanket and some treats.  There are also extra collars, tags, a copy of her pet health insurance, partially completed "Lost Pet" posters, extra photos of her and photos of us as family to prove that she's ours.   
2009 r.pod 152

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

We've experienced what you're talking about with the barking dogs. Our dog doesn't do that. However, whenever we leave our pup in a motel room or in our rpod, we notify the manager we're leaving our dog in our room/camper and give him/her our cell phone number. We tell them our dog is not a barker but if she should start to bark for some reason, to call us and we'll return to take care of the problem. They always appreciate this and we've never been called.

-- Steve

That's very considerate of you Steve.  Let me thank you for that.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic