r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake controller on Ford Expedition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake controller on Ford Expedition
    Posted: 11 Oct 2009 at 1:20pm
Does anyone out there have any experience pulling with a Ford Expedition?

I am thinking of buyimg a used 2001 Expedition, Triton V-8 to replace my jeep as a tow vehicle for my 172 and was wondering if I need a break controller.

Just wondering if it is necessary with a heavier vehicle.

Thanks!   Lisa
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
2001 Ford Expedition-Tow Vehicle
2010 Model 172 R-Pod
retired Roxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retired Roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2009 at 1:26pm
They are required in CA no matter what size vehicle!

Roxy
JeepPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2009 at 2:04pm
Thanks, Roxy!
I think I am just going to go ahead and get it, just to be safe!
Will be traveling from state to state anyway, hopefully.
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
2010 Model 172 R-Pod
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2009 at 2:15pm
Good choice! If nothing else, a break controller really helps to keep your trailer stabilized during emergency braking.  I wouldn't be without one on any trailer that weighs much more than 1000 pounds.

Besides, a Prodigy can be found on eBay for less than $100.  eTrailer.com sells Prodigy + harness for less than $115 - and with an Expedition (with factory tow package), you just have to plug the Ford harness into the truck's wiring harness, attach the controller to the dash and you're done - 30 minutes of very easy work.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2009 at 3:16pm
I purchased the Prodigy and Ford harness from Southwest Wheel Company for  $116.95 and free shipping the middle of September.  They have a web site https://www.southwestwheel.com/store/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=61&SEName=tekonsha-prodigy-brake-controller
and service was rather quick.  Very easy installation.  Two screws, slip the harness thru back of holder, plug into controller, plug other end into ford plug under dash and the job was done.  Less than 15 minutes including reading the instructions.
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2009 at 5:58pm
We (me & Pie_Pod) have ordered a 177 due this month.
Our Tow Vehicle is a '06 Honda Ridgeline.
I have had the tow package (hitch/harness) added by Dealer.
Ive also ordered a P3 controller that hooks right up to my (now) existing electric
harness w/ the help of a specially made adapter harness for the P3 to the Ridgeline.

The weight of the r-Pod is well within the Ridgelines specs. (with 1500lbs to spare).
** being as a loaded 177 r-pod will be around 3500lbs **
Ok, consider passengers (2 or 3) and gear in the back of the Ridgeline, so throw
another 500lbs to that 3500 figure and we get 4000lbs. Stil alot of headroom for the
Honda. (rated at 5000lbs towing)

I would never go through all the expense and time reading all about the Brake Controller
unless I felt it was very necessary !!! As prior posts have stated "a Brake Controller should seriously be considered when towing over 1000lbs".

Good Advice !!! Be Safe !!!

HAPPY PODing !!!
JeepPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 2:24am
Thanks everyone for the advice!
Best to play it safe!
Happy PODing everyone!!
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
2010 Model 172 R-Pod
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 4:29am
I am wondering the same thing.  We have an F 150 extended cab that we will pull with.  On the way home yesterday from a trip to Lake Erie, we stopped at Couch's.  The salesman there told us we would not need to get brakes.  He said our truck was so much heavier than the Pod 172 that we are looking at.
ANY THOUGHTS???  Confused
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 4:55am
We had a 26 ft sailboat that we pulled behind our F150.  The trailer did not have brakes because it didn't weight enough to require them.  BUT I wished several times that I had had at least surge brakes and thought often of installing them.  The reason I wanted brakes was that on occasion while going down some of the steep hills and gravel roads here in PA and NY and slowing down, the trailer would try to push the tow vehicle.  Not a real serious situation but enough to make me uncomfortable.  The second reason was in heavy traffic were I couldn't leave a lot of room between me and the vehicle in front of me, I often worried that if I had to stop in a hurry the boat and trailer would jackknife.  Here in PA if the trailer has a GVWR of 3000 lbs or more brakes are required so that ends the discussion for me.  Even if they were not required I would still have them.  They also save wear and tear on your tow vehicle brakes.  My vote is to have them.
Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
Gomjabber View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gomjabber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 5:35am
Originally posted by Sandpiper Sandpiper wrote:

We had a 26 ft sailboat that we pulled behind our F150.  The trailer did not have brakes because it didn't weight enough to require them.  BUT I wished several times that I had had at least surge brakes and thought often of installing them.  The reason I wanted brakes was that on occasion while going down some of the steep hills and gravel roads here in PA and NY and slowing down, the trailer would try to push the tow vehicle.  Not a real serious situation but enough to make me uncomfortable.  The second reason was in heavy traffic were I couldn't leave a lot of room between me and the vehicle in front of me, I often worried that if I had to stop in a hurry the boat and trailer would jackknife.  Here in PA if the trailer has a GVWR of 3000 lbs or more brakes are required so that ends the discussion for me.  Even if they were not required I would still have them.  They also save wear and tear on your tow vehicle brakes.  My vote is to have them.

Yep, I think it's 2000 here but I am not sure.  So it's not based on the tow vehicle but the trailer weight in the states that have laws and I would bet many do have these laws.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic