r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dual Propane Tank Installation?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual Propane Tank Installation?
    Posted: 26 May 2016 at 3:32pm
Parts needed
2 tank to regulator hoses
1 dual tank regulator
1 dual tank cover
angle iron
square tubing
flat steel 2 inch wide
Threaded rod
bolts  I used 1/4 20
gas hose,  black pipe or brass pipe to match up with existing line from camper. do not use galvanized.
about 4 hours or so of time.
Lark MN f-150 r-170
Lark
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 3:02pm
I installed dual tanks this spring on my `179.  I ground away the welds holding the plate in place leaving the 2 angle irons.  I have a drill press sawsall etc to cut the angle iron I bought.  I purchased the 2 tank cover at camper world along with the dual tank regulator.  I set the 2 tanks inside the cover and made my measurements for the new bracket.  I bolted it all together.  I used a piece of 5/8 threaded rod bolted to the frame I made and extending it up between the 2 tanks.  I notched a piece of square tubing to fit over the tank lip at each end and drilled a 5/8 hole in the middle of the tubing and use a 5/8 wing nut to clamp the tanks down.  I cut and braced a piece of 2 inch wide flat steel and mounted the regulator towards the tops of the tanks in between.  I can check the regulator by flipping up the cover to see when a tank is empty.  I've put over 1000 miles on since I did this with no problems.  I also use the nylon strap  as a safety measure.  I used 3/8 black pipe to run down to where I could hook up the hose.  I painted everything with black paint including the cover, so it looks like it came that way from the factory.  Hope this helps,  one other thing, get some soap and make sure you have no propane leaks
Lark  Mn. f-150 r-179
Lark
diagdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diagdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 11:30am
Can you please post some pictures of the dual propane rack on top of the old rack? I want to see how you mounted it.
Thank you
Ken
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 8:12pm
Primary difference between the 20lb and 30lb vertical tanks (other then weight) is their height.   A standard 20lb tank is around 18-20lbs empty, 38lb full, 18inches high and 12.5 inches in diameter.  A standard 30lb tank is around 24lbs empty, 54lbs full, 24inches high and 12.5 inches in diameter.

In theory it should be possible to just replace a 20lb tank with a 30lb tank to gain capacity.   Not sure if you would need a longer pigtail to go from the regulator to the tank or not.    The tank would be more top heavy due to extra size and weight, and would put more stress on your tank straps.    So if you went with a 30lb tank I would add a few extra straps to be on the safe side.
PodPatrol View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PodPatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 7:07pm
Ive also seen "Horizontal" tanks. (they lay on their side, thus allowing a large capacity)
Its appearance is the same as the normal upright tank only taller.
They are specially designed to work in the horizontal position.
I happened across it at another RV forum.

Mike&Karen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike&Karen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 5:07pm
Has anyone replaced the 20lb tank with a 30lb? I've been considering this, on my first outing with the pod I took along a second 20lb tank to fuel my outdoor kitchen and it worked ok but I'd like to not take the extra tank.
2010 R-Pod 174
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 6:33pm
General Dimensions/Size
20#    5gal   18lbs empty/38lbs full
30#    7gal   24lbs empty/54lbs full
40#    10gal  29lbs empty/ 70lbs full

(base tank weights vary a bit my manufacturer)

tsunami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 6:12pm
Thanks 'Gmandual' for the dual tank bracket retailer. I like the idea of a solid bar holding the tanks down rather than a nylon strap!
I am used to propane tanks being described by poundage (10lb, 20lb, 30lb, etc.) Rvwholesalers require the gallonage rather than 'weight'.  What weights are equivalent to 5, 7, and 10 gallons?
tsunami
Wyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 4:08pm
I installed a two tank rack on top of the original single tank rack on the Pod.  I used four bolts to mount the new rack, and did not cut any of the original steel brackets.  The only modification was drilling four holes through the new rack and into the original rack.  The rack is very stable and secure. 

I did not change the regulator, when one tank runs out of gas, I will simply unscrew the hose from the empty one and attach it to the full one.  The switch over regulator may make it easier to switch to the full tank, but you still have to disconnect the hose to fill the empty one, so I figured why spend the extra money for a requlator if I don't have to.
Wyn & Gail
R-171
Hudson Valley, NY
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2009 at 1:11pm
I did the conversion myself, but I have the air tools and welding equipment.   Just make sure you towing setup can handle the additional tongue weight.

The single tank bracket has to be cut off.   Once its off you need a dual tank bracket like this one:
http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/dual-tank-rack-dual-tank-rack.html
An auto switch over regulator.
http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/lp-regulator-06-0366.html
A second hose to go from second tank to the regulator, and I had to have a new hose made to go from the regulator to trailer.  (local LP installation shop made me the hose for $30)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic