r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > Maintenance Issues, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 'Unanswered' questions-including warranty cards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Unanswered' questions-including warranty cards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsunami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Unanswered' questions-including warranty cards
    Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 2:59am
I have had my 2010 RP-151 for only a few days. The Forest River booklet which came with the unit is a 'generic' manual which gives info for all of their trailers and fifth-wheelers.  So I have a few 'unanswered' questions which are not covered by Forest River.

1) Where do you place the jack to change a tire? If on the axle where on the axle?
2) the booklet mentions checking 'seals'...several forum members have mentioned having
    water leakage through some of the seals...where should I especially check to see if FR has
    correctly sealed the unit?  The factory missed sealing up some of the floor-holes in my
    FR C-Class motor home and mice got in!
3) the booklet mentions using the 'drain valves' when winterizing...but my RP-151 seems to
    have only 'caps' at the ends of the pipes.  Are there other valves hiding somewhere?

Finally...included with the unit were more than a dozen warranty cards included with separate
instruction manuals.  They all require serial numbers.  Looking at the installed appliances...I would have to disassemble and pull out most of them to get to the serial numbers.
I talked to my dealer (Couch's RV) and was told that Forest River would be sending in warranty notices to all of the companies with my name, address, and serial numbers.
Is this true?  The FR booklet states that some of the appliance providers require separate
warranty notification, but not which ones.
tsunami
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 3:59am
I've never seen an official answer to the question 'where to place the jack to change a tire?'  Personally, I'd jack from the frame - close to the spring hanger.

There are several seals: seals around the windows, the roof vent, the air conditioner, gaskets around the storage bay door and main door.  There's also caulking around the antenna, the plumbing vent, all of the utility passthrus (water, electric, cable), and the fridge, furnace and water heater.  There are also several passthrus in the floor for fresh water, gray and black tanks, propane, etc.  Finally, although not really a 'seal' per se, its also important to check the caulking underneath around the perimeter (there was a service bulletin about this a while ago).  And, yes, they should all be checked.

The capped lowpoint drains are the 'valves' referred to in the manual.

My dealer (Campkins) advised me to send in all of the individual warranty cards.  If you're going to do this, do it soon as some of them have a time limit (a date which they must be mailed by) on them.  Most allow you to submit them via the internet.  Its really not that difficult to ferret out the serial numbers.  The microwave being the worst.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
Heidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 4:53am
I had the worst time finding the AC number as it was inside the cover and the AC needed to be taken apart to get to it
we R-pod people
175 ,2 peeps and one small horse
yizit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yizit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 10:38am
I would think FR would have to honor the warranties of the appliances installed by them.  Most of the appliances are a one year warranty anyway, which is all FR give on their units.
Former owner of 2009 Rpod 172
Darlene & Jim, Ewok our Lhasa
Roada our 2004 Roadtrek 190P Conversion Van
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by yizit yizit wrote:

I would think FR would have to honor the warranties of the appliances installed by them.  Most of the appliances are a one year warranty anyway, which is all FR give on their units.

That's what I thought. I did not fill out all of the individual warranty cards. I didn't even get one for the microwave.
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 4:35pm
_popupControl(); I was told long ago that the warranty cards are pure marketing information.  The company has to honor the warranty whether you send them in or not.  Any attorneys out there could confirm/deny this.
Todd, Karen & Leah
'13 Surveyor 240
'12 Ford F150 EcoBoost
Former owner of 2010 R-Pod 172
Outbound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outbound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by tabkld93 tabkld93 wrote:

I was told long ago that the warranty cards are pure marketing information.

Dometic's marketing team has the patter down flat.  They sent me 'offers' for extending my warranty to 3 years for a ridiculous price, along with a list of the dire circumstances that 'might' happen in the future.
Craig :: 2008 Mazda Tribute :: 2009 r-pod 171, The Johnnie Ray
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 5:47am
Put chocks around the wheel on the side opposite the jack. Place the jack under the trailer frame behind the axle. This gives the pod a 3 point stance (wheel, jack, tongue jack) when raising. If you put the jack ahead of the axle you end up with a 2 point stance (wheel, jack) because the tongue jack will come off the ground as you jack up the trailer. Then the rPod becomes squirrley, and will roll off the jack and make you swear and feel really stupid.

Don't ask how I know this.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
Mamajomba View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamajomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 6:05am
Just curious.  Do you use a bottle jack?  If so, what size?
Thanks,
Mamajomba
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 6:39am

I usually use a 5 ton bottle jack.

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic