r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 40>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jlferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 10:44am
No serious problems but in windy conditions I felt that the trailer pulled the van around more than I liked. I always drove with the transmission in 5th gear sometimes even 4th not OD. Even so, in hilly country the van had to down shift a lot and go slow up hills. Again, not serious but uncomfortable. The Jeep is far stronger. It's entirely possible that your Rav4 has different gear ratios so your experience with a similar engine could be a lot different.
Edsana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edsana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 10:21pm
I have a 2010 Rav4 v6 with towing package and an rpod 178 (wght 2700lbs). I havent had any problems so far. What kind of problems have you had?
Ed
jlferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 8:53am
We were pulling with a Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.6L V-6 for 2 years. It was adequate but not as strong as I would like. So this year we upgraded to a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 3.0 diesel. The little diesel is strong and gets decent fuel economy, 13+ pulling our R-Pod 151.
Linda Faust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Faust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 7:43am
We bought our Rpod and Rav 4 in 2009.  We haven't camped since 2012.  We are getting out again this year.  We have always had trouble pulling with our v6 Rav4.  What gear do you use?  thanks, Linda
RPod 171 Rav 4
Happy Camping, Ted, Linda & our labradorable Gracie
Podwan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Podwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 1:17pm
Hi. I'm new here. Doing homework.
It's DH, DD (7), DS (2), and me. We currently own a Honda Odyssey and a CR-V.
We are both educators.
I would like to add a tranny cooler, WD hitch, and sway bar to the Odyssey, but I'm not entirely comfortable.
We were thinking of selling the CR-V and getting a big truck, but that's going to take us forever.
I've looked at the Honda Pilots online.
I'm wondering if that would safely tow a 172 (or even a 179) safely through mountain passes.

FWIW, we plan to stay local to SE Texas(or maybe hit Disney World) for the next few years (flat to hilly), but would like to take on the mountains later.
What are your thoughts?
thegarse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 10:09am
Replying to all to see if it helps anyone else with a Highlander or maybe you can point out something I'm doing wrong.

@ Wren, I have a 2016 AWD Highlander Limited with the tow package.

7 Pin: 

We did have it wired for a 7 pin and it didn't sound like it was plug and play. They had to install a circuit breaker at the battery and had to splice into the brake lines. All the 7 pin functions do work but it was a costly install.

WDH (Weight Distribution Hitch):

We went on a few trips w/out the WDH and thought that it performed well but it did feel bouncy. I thought I'd give a WDH a try so I bought one and installed it and it was like night and day. I do recommend one, it does help with sway but we never really had a problem with sway even before the WDH. I highly recommend one and since the highlander is not on a truck frame it will cause sag putting on weight at the hitch, a WDH helps with all of this.

Driving: 

The best advice I have for driving is to put the transmission on "S" (I think it's called S) where you can shift manually. I mostly tow in 4th gear at a little less than 3k RPM. If I'm on really flat or downhill areas I'll shift to 5th gear. Driving in 4th all the time will automatically downshift when you come to a stop and will not let your transmission get past 4th which is nice. There's no tow-mode but this helps compensate for that.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike
SCYankees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCYankees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 7:47am
We pull with a 2009 Ford Explorer V8 4x4.  Does really well for us.

Pat
Al and Pat Trudeau

R-Pod 196 Owners
Wren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 11:13am
We have a 2015 highlander XLE and we're looking at the r-pod 179. How has your Highlander performed towing your pod?
Edsana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edsana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 12:26pm
I'm pulling my R-Pod 178 with a 2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 with towing package. Gas mileage without R-Pod is 18 city/ 26 hwy. Pulling R-Pod 10-12 mpg. Pulled R-Pod from Texas to Sequoia National Park.
Ed
Richard7325 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard7325 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 7:15am

Pulling my 183G with my 2000 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner V6... I installed the biggest Trans cooler I could fit on it with WD hitch with sway control. Have close to 200k on it. The RPM's will be high but so far have made it everywhere in Northern California.

Here are some of my mods for towing
Rear Anti Sway bar with new OEM Bilstein shocks

e2 WDH

Trans cooler the biggest one i could fit

Trans gage

Brake controller

Rear view video to clip on rear view mirror when towing (So I can see the cop coming after me for speeding ) Wink

camera on the back

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 40>
  Share Topic