r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 40>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SCYankees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCYankees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats pulling your RPod
    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 at 10:30am
We pull our 179 with a 2009 Ford Explorer 4x4, V8.  It has a towing capacity of 7500 lbs.  We get between 12-14 mpg towing, and 16-19 around town not towing.
Al and Pat Trudeau

R-Pod 196 Owners
malkbean2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malkbean2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2019 at 9:41am
fyi
Completed a trip over the rockies eastbound on I70 in Colorado pulling a 178 with a 2016 Grand Caravan. Did Vail pass at 40mph @ 3500 rpm. Approach to Eisenhauer tunnel (10700 ft) was more painful- slowed to 30 mph at 4000rpm and engine got warm but not redline. (AC off and heater on)
Conclusion: The minivan can do it but it echoes the refrain- more power is desirable.
beardmanTX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beardmanTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 2:12pm
2010 4Runner with ton of mods.

N.jpg
Puppy Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puppy Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 5:41pm
We no longer own our Puppy Pod.
Hal, Dianne and pups
malkbean2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malkbean2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 2:14pm
Did you go over Vail Pass  on  I70 eastbound without any problems? At what speed and rpm and engine temperature?

I am currently on the 4th week of trip to Yellowstone, Salt lake and Moab towing a 178 rpod with a 2016 Grand Caravan. No problems so far. Went over Togwottee Pass (9700 ft) near Yellowstone without any problems.
180inthe801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 180inthe801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 10:39pm
2017 Grand Jeep Cherokee. Does well unless it's a steep incline for a couple miles, then Ruby starts to feel it. 
Dastrom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dastrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 12:11am
I have a 2010 Toyota Tacoma Double cab v6. With the factory tow package, which brings it up to 6500 pounds. It pulls my R-Pod 180 great, I don’t even feel it. You’ll be fine with the Ford.
Pugsnpods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pugsnpods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 2:10am
Hi all. I have a Toyota Highlander 2005 that can pull up to 3500lbs, and I was ready to pull my Rpod 128G. But, I was concerned about the stress on the Highlander if I was pulling the trailer with my kayaks, water, bikes, and all the “stuff” I wanted to drag along. I ended up getting a used 2008 Ford F-150 2WD (rear wheel drive) for a decent price that could pull up to 7500lbs. With the Ford, I’m comfortable adding all of my toys.
jeremyrperry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremyrperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 7:15pm
I have a 2015 X3 diesel that tows my 2017 RP-171.

My X3 has a 3,500lb towing capacity, and I know there's a lot of discussion on this site on if TV's with the same tow capacity can adequately pull an R-Pod.  I've personally had zero issues so far in my several tows that have all included segments with 6%+ grades.  When towing, I know there's a load behind me, but my TV handles it rather well.  Of course not every TV with a similar tow ratings is going to handle towing the same as my X3 does, and I KNOW the diesel makes a big difference.  But it is possible to find the compact to mid-size truck or SUV that does reasonably well at pulling an R-Pod while still giving great non-towing MPG.

Here is my beta so far:
  • Average tow MPG is 17-18 MPG, compared to 34+ highway MPG when unloaded.  So the near 50% drop is pretty par for course, but I'm not complaining about either number.
  • I keep the speed to no more than 65 MPH, and only get to that speed on rural freeways when there isn't a lot of cross-winds.  My X3 is capable of doing more, but fuel economy plummets after that point and I don't like how winds start affecting my setup at higher speeds, plus the ability to stop relatively safely if needed.  I only exceed 65 if I need to pass.
  • I have an 8 speed transmission, with gears 7 and 8 being overdrive.  I use the X3's sport mode when towing, which stiffens the suspension, changes the shift points, and keeps the transmission in a lower gear.  This means no overdrive save for pretty flat highways, and only gear 7 can be used when overdrive is possible.  This actually works out better since I don't have to put the pedal down and the transmission doesn't gear hunt as much.  
  • Curves taken at no more than 5 MPH over the recommended speed.
  • I can do 55-60 MPH up the steeper grades, save of course for curvy sections that require me to slow down.   This uphill speed accounts for modest amounts of gear, some fresh water, and even a couple of passengers.  Transmission will drop down to gear 5 or 4 depending on how steep the climb is.
  • I have a Prodigy brake controller, WDH, and sway control bars.  I wouldn't even attempt to tow the R-Pod using my TV without them.

Yes, I could have bought a more capable tow vehicle, but such a vehicle wouldn't have done much better on the tow MPG, and all but certainly wouldn't have touched my non-towing MPG and overall maneuverability in urban areas.  I reserve the option to in the future, but only if I truly need more hauling and towing capability.

You can see a picture of my setup plus a little more here:  http://www.rpodnation.com/topic4669_post44017.html#44017
Dastrom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dastrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 5:03pm
I'm pulling my Rpod 180 with my Toyota Tacoma 2010 V6 4.0 liter. It pulls it just fine thru all the mountain passes here in far Northern California. The Tacoma has a 6500 tow capacity!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 40>
  Share Topic