r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 40>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaRedneck81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 5:50pm
Using a Chevy Z-71 Extended cab pickup with the 350(5.7) V-8.  Not sure what the gas mileage is; but who cares ? Got to get it there.....can't do much about it. Don't even feel it back there. The dealer installed a sway bar as part of the deal; threw in a brake controller also.
GaRedneck81
U.S.Navy-Retired
Heavy Chevy 5.7 liter
RP-172
Kennesaw, Ga.
shenandoah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shenandoah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 3:36pm
I'd like to say that I am now upgrading from a 2.7 liter, 4 cylinder to a 4.0 6 cylinder. Currently I drive a toyota tacoma access cab, but, as of this week I have decided to sell it and upgrade to the double cab, 4.0, TRD Off Road. Should be more than enough to pull my pod, than my current vehicle. How sad it is to give up one for another. I have been treated very well by my 2.7. But times have changed and I need more power. With a towing capacity of 6400 pounds, my new 4.0 toyota tacoma should treat me very good. Roswell, New Mexico here I come. Thanks to the, powers that be, that allow me to do what I want.
postalpanzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote postalpanzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 9:32am
does anyone have the new 181g it is heavier I would like to know what people are using to pull it

waterlover63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterlover63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 11:13am
I've got the 182g.  Pulling with an 04Colorado extend cab, 5cyl, auto, 4wd. 

Due to seriously poor timing on my part, I've only pulled it to my home which is 20 miles from the dealer.  However - I had no trouble with that wee bit o' pulling :)
Kathy
SW Ohio
2011 R-Pod 182g
1998 Dodge Ram 1500
3 or more dogs (dependent on foster situation)
Jestforpun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jestforpun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 8:16am
We were going to pull our R-pod 172 with my Chrysler mini van because that's what they said would be okay, but after looking at the costs to beef up the radiator and other modification for a car with 55,000 miles on it, we traded it in for a Chrysler Town and Country with a towing package. 
It pulls very nicely at about 10 mpg, so if gas prices go up we may be stuck in Florida for a while.  Oh well, I could live with that - it's cold in Wisconsin right now.
The Jester Queen, traveling with her husband, Left Brain and their cat, She Devil. Follow their adventures at http://lifeinacannedham.blogspot.com
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 10:38am

A consideration as far as a TV is how often and how far are you going to be towing?  If you are going to take long trips often, I would consider a larger vehicle with a higher tow rating.  If you are only going to go a couple 100 miles or so,  and use it less often just about anything will work.  Mountains of course are a different story.  Power and strong brakes are needed.  remember that you should not go down a mountain any faster than you went up.

Lark F-150 R171
Lark
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 11:29pm
I was thinking about an F-550 with a WDH. I would like to make sure that I have enough towing capability to pull the 176 in any situation.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
VenturaTom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VenturaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 12:51am
Well...been a while since i've been here...and since the Pod was out, but will be again and soon

Changed tow vehicle...  got a 2006 Dodge Ram MegaCab with the Cummins Turbo-Diesel....we'll see how this works out!  ;)

2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab
Cummins 5.7L Turbo-Diesel
R-Pod 177 Owner

Former VW Camper then Tent/Dirt Camper
David and Danette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 2:36am
    Ventura Tom    Its to good to see you back. You should have enough power with the Cummins Turbo Diesel, as long as you do not over load your trailer. LOL     David and Danette
SWFL   171
2010 Jeep Liberty
GaRedneck81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaRedneck81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 3:56pm
Oh yeah Ventura Tom, with the Cummins Turbo Diesel you should be able to tow your R-pod and house and garage with you.....you probably have about 600 ft lbs. of torque. Happy hauling !
GaRedneck81
U.S.Navy-Retired
Heavy Chevy 5.7 liter
RP-172
Kennesaw, Ga.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 40>
  Share Topic