r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 40>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duck42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 5:08pm
We pulled our new RPOD 171 from Salt Lake to New York, Vermont, Pennsylvania and back this summer with our 2006 Toyota Highlander V-6 hybrid  with no problems other than gas mileage cut in half.
Not a lot of "mountains" but some hilly country.
POD Almighty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POD Almighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 11:14pm
Hi all,
First off I have to say that this forum is great.  We have referenced this forum 100's of times over the last year in our seach for our trailer.  Great work contributing everyone.

We are pulling a 2012 R-POD 182G with our 2006 Honda Odyssey.

Here is the breakdown of the equipment we have:
- Honda factory hitch with transmission and power steering pump cooler.
- Prodigy P2 brake controller.  (DIY install with relays for brake controller and battery power to 7pin trailer plug.  Relays controlled with ignition being turned on to prevent the tow vehicle's battery from being drained by trailer.)
- Equal-i-zer hitch with weight distribution and sway control. PN 90-00-0600

I'll post more later on our experience with this setup and give some perspective on our decision to buy the 182G.  See a picture of our setup mid trip at Roger's Pass in the Canadian Rocky Mountains...

Cheers.
Smile

Rpod182GHondaOdyssey
2012 RPOD 182G
2006 Honda Odyssey
Skooterpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skooterpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 12:54am
Nice looking rig. Cool Could you give some details or closeup pictures of how you've attached your bike rack upper support lines/cables to the R-pod?  This is something I've been wanting to do but haven't decided how.

Originally posted by POD Almighty POD Almighty wrote:

Hi all,
First off I have to say that this forum is great.  We have referenced this forum 100's of times over the last year in our seach for our trailer.  Great work contributing everyone.

We are pulling a 2012 R-POD 182G with our 2006 Honda Odyssey.

Here is the breakdown of the equipment we have:
- Honda factory hitch with transmission and power steering pump cooler.
- Prodigy P2 brake controller.  (DIY install with relays for brake controller and battery power to 7pin trailer plug.  Relays controlled with ignition being turned on to prevent the tow vehicle's battery from being drained by trailer.)
- Equal-i-zer hitch with weight distribution and sway control. PN 90-00-0600

I'll post more later on our experience with this setup and give some perspective on our decision to buy the 182G.  See a picture of our setup mid trip at Roger's Pass in the Canadian Rocky Mountains...

Cheers.
Smile

2011 RP-177
2010 Honda Ridgeline RTL
POD Almighty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POD Almighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 1:44am

Hey Skooterpod,

I don't have any pictures to give more detail, but I'll describe it.

The goal was to assist the rear hitch by pulling up on the bike rack.  However, if we use just rope the bouncing forces will break the rope or where the rope is attached to the trailer.  So we used both rope and a bungee cord to make the connection.  There are three hinges on the rear hatch.  We placed rope thru the three hinges and tied both ends together near the center of the hatch.  This allows easy access to connect the bungee cords when installing the bike rack.  There is some adjustment with the length of bungee cord used as well.

This is by no means a long term solution, but was effective over 3000km summer trip.

Cheers

2012 RPOD 182G
2006 Honda Odyssey
Bill and Marie in TX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill and Marie in TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 11:42am
Hi,
Evolved form a 2009 Jeep Liberty V6 to a 2011 F250 6.2L SCAP gasser.  Big difference.  We are getting better gas mileage (12 MPG+) as well as a much better ride.  Still using a WDH to account for wind and trucks on the interstate but not really needed with this rig.  Very happy with the change.
Bill F
2011 RP-181G "Wine Pod II"
2011 F-250 6.2L V8
2 Doxies + 1 tiny Corgi = 1 full size dog
dcrotty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcrotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 4:42pm
Started pulling a 175 with a 2003 Nissan Murano.  Plenty of power but In August  ins SC the transmission would overheat and teh computer wopudl reduce power. Swithed to a V6 2011 Fornter and no porblems.
turncoat3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turncoat3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 5:01pm
We We are pulling out 2010 177 model with a Ford Explorer 4.0L V6 Sport Trac with towing package.  Have had NO problems pulling in western Carolina mountains as well as the flat lands where we live. As everyone else, we loose a lot of gas milage but at 12 - 13 mpg, I can't complain.
Ben & Lorrie
2010 RP177
macmanlex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macmanlex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 3:55pm

Using a 2007 Hyundai Sant Fe.  It's rated at 3500lbs and pulled it nicely.  I lost a lot on mileage, down to about 10, but unhooked I get almost 30 so it is a great compromise.  

I only used a sway bar and it did just fine.  The back suspension only went down about 1 inches more then the front because we learned quickly to distribute the load in the camper better.  It is a 3.3L V6 with 7 passenger seating and gave us plenty of room on our 4300 mile trip to the midwest and back from Kentucky. It handled the Rocky Mtns fairly well but did better in Arizona and the lower states.

Only tweak I had to do was get slightly shorter chain installed.  By the time I had gotten to Colorado both chains were about stripped.  I removed 3 links each side and they are perfect now.

2010 R-POD 172 (5 Peas in R-Pod)
2007 Hyundai Santa Fe
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 4:23pm
Nice looking setup..Must really go great down the road one pulling and the other pushingWink

Welcome to the farm.Beer

WWR
WWRon,2012 RP177 HRE "Eye Pod",2010 Ford F-150 4x4
9/11 Never Forget.
NRA Life Member, Amsoil dealer www.lubedealer.com/wallawallaron
marc515 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marc515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 8:11am

Just thought I’d share some insight here for folks reading this thread, and are considering purchasing a pod or new tow vehicle:

Our MPG-181 has a dry weight of 2,820 Lbs, and GVWR of 3,800 Lbs. While we may not load to the 3.800Lbs, my guesstimate is we are running about 3,300Lbs as I actually weighed everything (well mostly everything) that went into it for a typical trip. I would venture to say that many of us are well on our way to maxing the gross vehicle weight rating, especially if you are carrying water in the tanks. Simply put, stuff adds up.

When we were looking at the MPG 181, and Rpod 177, we had a Mazda Tribute with the 3,500Lb towing package . We ended up with the MPG as a good deal on it came along first. The Rpod 177 weighs in at about 400Lbs less than the MPG.

I read in some tow guide that the tow capacity is computed with a 150Lb driver, and once you add passengers and cargo, the tow capacity goes down! There are sites that have spread sheets where you put in your vehicle and trailer weights, and it will compute what is safe. When I entered the data on a 3,500Lb and a 5,000Lb vehicle, we were over the capacity on the 3,500 vehicle, and borderline on the 5,000 vehicle. **For calculations purposes I used myself, my wife, our dog, 300Lbs of cargo in the tow vehicle, and the 3,800 GVWR of the MPG.

So you can see that in our case, a tow vehicle with a 3,500LB towing capacity now has about a 2,920Lb towing capacity; add on a 60Lb WDH, and we are now at 2,860Lbs towing capacity for our 3,300Lb trailer. While these are our numbers, and your numbers will vary, you can see how quickly our towing capacity went down. **Someone please chime in if my tow capacities are incorrect.

So we ended up with a vehicle with a 6,000Lb tow capacity, and I now feel relatively safe. I do understand that some of the Rpods weigh less than our MPG, but safety factors are the same. Here is a good web site which has a worksheet so you can plug in your numbers:

http://www.fifthwheelst.com/before_you_buy.htm

So, the bottom line here is to be sure you capture all weights when looking at the towing capacities; I think these small trailer manufacturers are misleading folks when they indicate smaller vehicles can tow these trailers. Yes they can tow, but pushing the capacity limits is not the safest thing to do. Additionally, from everything I’ve read, a WDH is a real plus for safety.

Please don’t anyone take offense; my only aim here is to share some of the insight I gained when doing research for our tow vehicle.

Happy and safe camping!

Best Regards,.....Marc & Joan
And....Tucker (our yellow lab)
2011 Heartland MPG-181
2011 Nissan Pathfinder
USMC 69-73
God Bless all our Men & Women in Uniform
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 40>
  Share Topic