r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 40>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 9:39am
Good point, Sam.  I have noticed that many of the r-pods keep getting heavier and fancier with more bells & whistles.  Pretty soon we lose the point of small/lightweight/not-the-Ritz.  I love having secure shelter from the rain and a cool place to go if the heat and humidity get insane.  Other than that, I want small, simple, easy ... I just want to go places and a take my convenient mini home-away-from-home with me, not having to buy a muscle TV just to do it.  We also use our Ford Ranger for regular work commutes, so we have to think about economy.
I'd rather be Podding. :)
MandB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MandB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 9:48am
That Lexus has something like 268 horsepower with the engines combined! 0-60 is in the 7 second range. I don't think a vehicle with a 3.3 liter engine without the additional motor would do so well with the R-Pod. What is the towing capacity of the Lexus? Sounds like a really nice vehicle. The CVT probably helps too as you point out.  
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 10:16am
Originally posted by MandB MandB wrote:

That Lexus has something like 268 horsepower with the engines combined! 0-60 is in the 7 second range. I don't think a vehicle with a 3.3 liter engine without the additional motor would do so well with the R-Pod. What is the towing capacity of the Lexus? Sounds like a really nice vehicle. The CVT probably helps too as you point out.  

The tow rating is 3,500 pounds. It's less without the towing package but I don't remember how much.

W/o the electric motors, the V6 is 208 HP. The electric motors bump it up to 268 HP combined but the real story is with the torque.

The V6 is 212 lb-ft at 5,600 RPM. The front electric motor is 247 lb-ft at 0-1,500 RPM. The rear electric motor is 96 lb-ft at 0-610 RPM. When leaving a stop light, merging into freeway traffic, or going up a steep hill, you have all of that power working for you that you don't have with the gas engine by itself. And, yes, it will do 0 to 60 in 7 but not with the rpod attached. It's good but not THAT good <LOL>.

When towing the rpod, we get 8 mpg at 70-75 and 13 mpg at 60-65. Since the car only has a 17 gallon gas tank, we keep the speed down or we have to stop at every gas station <LOL>. Without the rpod hooked up, we get 25-30 mpg. This is important to us because this car is our daily driver vehicle.

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
sammycamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammycamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 10:44am
Originally posted by MandB MandB wrote:

When towing the rpod, we get 8 mpg at 70-75 and 13 mpg at 60-65. Since the car only has a 17 gallon gas tank, we keep the speed down or we have to stop at every gas station <LOL>. Without the rpod hooked up, we get 25-30 mpg. This is important to us because this car is our daily driver vehicle. 
That is another recurring point in this thread. Towing at high speeds is not a good idea with any trailer. The rPod is a small TRAVEL TRAILER. It would be a huge utility trailer. I have towed lots of different two- and four-wheel trailers, including some with a boat on top; and I always try to take into consideration what I'm towing. If you want the rPod to feel like a small enclosed utility trailer and travel in excess of 70 MPH, I can imagine that nothing short of 300 HP will do. (Still not a good idea). But, if you are ready to acknowledge that you are towing a ton-and-a-half of extra weight behind a passenger vehicle, and drive accordingly, I don't see why a super-honcho TV is necessary.

I have only towed our 173 a couple hundred miles, so I don't feel completely qualified to speak from experience. Still, a long trip is not much more than a representative short trip multiplied by some factor. I have not avoided hills or highways or high winds, and our 2008 6-cyl Trailblazer towed the rPod very comfortably. The reduced width, overall weight, and tongue weight of the rPod was very noticeable compared to the 21-ft travel trailer we towed just prior to buying the rPod. Fuel economy seemed to be about 1.5 MPG better (11-11.5 vs 9.5-10) than we got before.

I'd like to think the rPod will allow us to go camping wherever time and campground vacancies will allow, without having to buy a vehicle that has no other purpose to sit in our garage.

Sam
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Footslogger03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 10:49am
Excellent point about the effect of speed on mpg. Not that this is anything new, and maybe we're just old farts but    ...we dialed back our daily mile goal a while ago. That allows us to have a more leisurely breakfast, drive, stop for a resful lunch, drive more and still get to our campground with plenty of time to unhook, connect power/water and relax before dinner.

For us    ...pulling the R-pod at lower speeds is a win-win situation.

MJ
Ratdog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 11:09am
Since retirement, we're not in a hurry to get anywhere so we've slowed down, too. More time to enjoy the trip not just the destination. It's also not so much of a "white knuckle" towing experience at 55 as it is at 70-75.

Anyway, many states don't allow you to drive the posted speed limit if you're towing a trailer. Some set the allowable towable speed at 55 mph. Here's a chart with each state's towing laws:

-- Steve

Steve, Anne, and Paige the Rat Terrier
2013 Lexus RX 450h Hybrid AWD
2011 RP-177 (aka: The Circus Wagon)
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 11:10am
WWR.  Coming from the "Bigger is better," school, my thoughts are for you to enjoy your V-8 as I enjoy mine.  Don't have to worry about not having enough "juice" to climb that big hill.  Used to have a Suburban with the 454 V-8.  Had a larger, heavier trailer then, and really enjoyed the HP.  Only thing that stopped that Suburban was a gas station.  We averaged 8 MPG whether we were towing, parked, with or with the A/C on on or off.  Of course, gas was about $1.75/gal. then.   Most don't remember those prices.  In any event, you have fun with your new TV and be aware that your the baddest Rpod puller around.  See you in August at Seaside.  P. S. I have been in touch with the FROG group and will have some exciting news in a couple of weeks.  Safe Travels.  
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 lb.) Mini Dachshund
2013 Rpod 171HRE (Pods-of-Luck)
2005 Chev. Tahoe
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 11:13am
The other factor is the cost of the RV.  I think pods are a good value.  I didn't want to have a 30K RV sitting in my back yard.  Towing costs seem some what similar no matter what you tow.  It all depends on your budget and how large a tow you are willing to go with.

Lark R 171  F 150
Lark
Little Sweet Pea Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little Sweet Pea Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2013 at 12:02pm
I installed a transmission cooler 2 weeks ago. Low cost enhancement to the TV under $150.  

IPodAlong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

Since retirement, we're not in a hurry to get anywhere so we've slowed down, too. More time to enjoy the trip not just the destination. It's also not so much of a "white knuckle" towing experience at 55 as it is at 70-75.

Anyway, many states don't allow you to drive the posted speed limit if you're towing a trailer. Some set the allowable towable speed at 55 mph. Here's a chart with each state's towing laws:

-- Steve

Wow, I live in Virginia and the max tow speed here is 55?!  I'm good with that!
2010 Rp 171
Towed with 2011 Ford Expedition
Co-pilots: Abby & Brownie
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 40>
  Share Topic