r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 40>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IPodAlong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Ratdog Ratdog wrote:

Since retirement, we're not in a hurry to get anywhere so we've slowed down, too. More time to enjoy the trip not just the destination. It's also not so much of a "white knuckle" towing experience at 55 as it is at 70-75.

Anyway, many states don't allow you to drive the posted speed limit if you're towing a trailer. Some set the allowable towable speed at 55 mph. Here's a chart with each state's towing laws:

-- Steve

Wow, I live in Virginia.  The max tow speed is 55?!  I'm good with that! 
2010 Rp 171
Towed with 2011 Ford Expedition
Co-pilots: Abby & Brownie
"No one can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." -- Anon
MandB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MandB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 6:31pm
We live in VA as well and I was also surprised to see the 55 limit. I don't feel so guilty now for actually towing at that speed. Now if people would only learn how to merge on to an Interstate, I would be a really happy person.  
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 7:08am
I was also surprised to see that in MI you could ride in a towed trailer, not just a fifth wheel. I always thought that was against the law. 

I'm going to see if there's an app for this info.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::
marc515 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marc515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 7:18am
"When towing the rpod, we get 8 mpg at 70-75"

I thought ST- trailer tires had a maximum speed rating of 65MPH?

Here's some interesting info I pulled from Discount Tires, especially the time part and how the tire strength decreases. Now I know I'm going to "D" range tires.
Speed
  • All "ST" tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.
  • As heat builds up, the tire's structure starts to disintegrate and weaken.
  • The load carrying capacity gradually decreases as the heat and stresses generated by higher speed increases.
Time
  • Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
  • In approximately three years, roughly one-third of the tire's strength is gone.
  • Three to five years is the projected life of a normal trailer tire.
  • It is suggested that trailer tires be replaced after three to four years of service regardless of tread depth or tire appearance.
Mileage
  • Trailer tires are not designed to wear out.
  • The life of a trailer tire is limited by time and duty cycles.
  • The mileage expectation of a trailer tire is 5,000 to 12,000 miles.
Best Regards,.....Marc & Joan
And....Tucker (our yellow lab)
2011 Heartland MPG-181
2011 Nissan Pathfinder
USMC 69-73
God Bless all our Men & Women in Uniform
MandB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MandB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 7:22am
Your quote attributes the statement to me, but I didn't say that. I wouldn't drive any faster than 60 with my trailer attached and now that I know my state speed limit is 55mph, I will make sure to keep it in that range. 
marc515 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marc515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 7:25am
Originally posted by MandB MandB wrote:

Your quote attributes the statement to me, but I didn't say that. I wouldn't drive any faster than 60 with my trailer attached and now that I know my state speed limit is 55mph, I will make sure to keep it in that range. 

Sorry I mis-quoted; I changed my post
Best Regards,.....Marc & Joan
And....Tucker (our yellow lab)
2011 Heartland MPG-181
2011 Nissan Pathfinder
USMC 69-73
God Bless all our Men & Women in Uniform
sammycamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammycamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Camper Bob Camper Bob wrote:

WWR.  my thoughts are for you to enjoy your V-8 as I enjoy mine.  Don't have to worry about not having enough "juice" to climb that big hill. 

Sorry if my post sounded like I was blasting WWR or anyone else for deciding on a bigger TV. By all means, enjoy it.

My point is only that those of us with smaller vehicles that are rated and equipped to tow our rPods should feel safe and comfortable doing that, as long as we consider what we're towing and adjust our driving habits and expectations accordingly. I don't advocate slapping a bumper hitch on a Smart Car and heading for the mountains with an rPod attached. But, I do think virtually any mid-size SUV with a towing package and adequate tongue and gross weight ratings should do just fine.

Sam

P.S. I'm surprised Minnesota allows riding in a travel trailer and towing at 70 MPH. In combination, that could be a scary ride! Shocked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 8:23am
No app for the towing info, but wouldn't that be great if it was part of the popular Camping and RV app that I know some of us have?

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: "arrrr"Pod 172 :: My Albums :: OurPod Blog ::

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuronSailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 8:30am
Also, good info on the trailer tires. Much of that info is news to me. My pod's tires have been used for 3 1/2 seasons and developed some weird looking sidewall problems last fall. They probably have around 6K miles on them. Both are slated to be replaced as soon as she comes out of storage this season.
dockguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dockguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 10:11am
Snooper ,

Thanks for the info. I have a Rpod 171 and love it also. It has everything that you could want in an RV, yet is easy too tow and maintain.   

Enjoy the open road...
Dockguy
2011 Rpod 171
2005 Toyota Tundra Crew Cab
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 40>
  Share Topic