r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 40>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 8:05am
The first thing I would do is find out what the 'tow rating' is for your vehicle.  Some vehicles have no rating, but I would think that yours does.  The rated capacity should be at least 3000 pounds.  Next You need a 2 inch receiver hitch for your make and model.  Are you planning to tow just short distances or cross country?   That makes a great deal of difference as far as wear and tear.  A compact vehicle with a short wheel base is more likely to have issues then a longer wheelbase.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck.

Lark 2015 R-179 and F-150
Lark
thegarse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 8:41pm
Hi all, just picked up our 176 this week!  

Pulling with a 2016 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD, brought it home and was at 14MPG but traffic was slow. This should be fun! Feel free to ask me anything.

Northernrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northernrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 9:44am
Hi we just bought a Rpod 179, I love it. We will be pulling it with an F 150. There is a very small change in mpg and you don't really feel it behind you until it's windy.
Lundberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lundberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 10:54pm
 IS ANYONE TOWING WITH A GMC ACADIA DENALI? Currently, I am pulling our R-177 (2,650 empty weight) with our 2007 Toyota Sienna rated to tow 3,500lbs.  Recently we towed it up Rt 15 in Pennsylvania through Gettysburg toward Harrisburg in a windy rain.  I wasn't pretty.  FWD caused a lot of hydroplaning and side winds were tough.  We have a Blue Ox anti-sway towing system, but it did not help the hydroplaning problem.

Hence, I am shopping for a new (used) tow vehicle.  We have a bunch of grandkids and this vehicle needs to have a minimum of 7 passenger seats and I want more than 4,500 lbs towing capacity.  Considering our price budget, the leading choice is the 2013 GMC Acadia Denali that comes with an impressive towing package and is rated at 5,200 lbs towing limit.   The GMC Acadia "SL" models may have trailer hitches but not all of the other towing package benefits (transmission cooler, heavy duty alternator, electronic towing control, heavy power steering pump, heavy duty radiator, etc).  The General Motors "sister" vehicles, Buick Enclave and Chevy Traverse only tow 4,500 lbs.
Kent & Lynn, Fairfax, VA
jlferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 1:56pm
We're pulling an RP 151 with a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.6L, 6 spd tranny, rated to tow 3500 lbs. It pulls reasonably but it lacks power when we're in a strong headwind or mountains. We just got back from a 3 week trip - MI to CO. 
Lundberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lundberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 11:12pm
There's a good towing capacity chart that seems to cover just about every vehicle's towing capacity: www.onlinetowingguide.com  I found it very useful when I started to look for a new tow vehicle.

Kent & Lynn, Fairfax, VA
rknight36172 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknight36172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 6:06pm
We pulled ours home from the dealer with our 2015 Grand Caravan. And it pulls it fine but, we are fllea market people and over the 2 months this summer we will be out west i fear we may overload it. So i am thinking of buying a used full size passenger van
Rich
BigColdWetNose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigColdWetNose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 6:30am
Depends. We have 176T we will mostly tow with a 2015 GMC Savana 2500 conversion van or (leftover from our camper downsizing) a 2010 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Duramax. I've towed everything under the sun for many years and dislike under powered or structured vehicles. 

Drive Fast, Take chances!!
El Potato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Potato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 8:49pm
When I pick up my new 180 I will be towing it with a 2016 Toyota Tacoma.
Lets get lost.
Lark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 10:21am
Hello,  If you look at the history of this topic, you will find many, many opinions on tow vehicles.  To boil it down a bit, some questions.  How much and how far are you going to tow?  Are you going to tow out west in the mountains?  How much experience do you have towing something?  Check the tow rating of your present vehicle.  Towing the 180 I would guess is at about the limit or even above it.  Towing does add greatly to the wear and tear and safety concerns especially if you are at or over vehicle limits.  Remember, when you tow, you are driving a vehicle that's twice as long as what your used to.  Good luck and safe traveling

Lark  R-179 F-150
Lark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 40>
  Share Topic