r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 40>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geneowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2009 at 7:54am
I bought my 171 with my new Toyota Highlander, V6, 4x4, 5k towing in mind. However, I needed to get wiring done on the Highlander and a brake controller so I used my 07 Tundra, 5.7, 4x4 to pick up the 171 and I'm continuing to tow with the Tundra. Its a longbed with ARE topper which provides lots of covered storage space and still has room for as many as 6 people to ride. I'm getting 11 to 12mpg and have plenty of power when needed. Based on readings on this site, I began thinking the Highlander may get no more MPG than the Tundra so why make the change - the only problem is finding parking spaces for the Tundra - its a few inches over 21 feet long making the combination approx 40 feet.
Poddie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2009 at 9:39am
We tow our 171 with a Ford Ranger w/ tow package.  I believe we are rated to pull 4,000 lbs.  The truck has no problems on level ground, but you can definitely tell you're pulling something up long hills. Tachometer goes from 2k rpm to 3k uphill.
I'd rather be Podding. :)
Snooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 3:59am
< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 11">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 11">

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan/ R-pod 171 review

I thought I’d give a little input on towing the RP-171 with our VW Tiguan now that we’ve travelled with it a few weeks. You’ll have to forgive me with the metric and standard conversions. (Being old school I tend to talk in both languages.)

When we purchased our Pod in Dieppe New Brunswick, I had to have the vehicle outfitted with a towing package as it didn’t have one at time of purchase. The installation of the class 3 hitch was very straight forward and installed in under and hour. The hitch shop did however have some difficulties installing the brake controller. It had something to with the Electronic Stabilization Program/ anti-lock ABS brake system that VW has on its newer vehicles. However, after making some phone calls the shop finally ended up using a Valley Industries Journey HD 52740 electronic brake controller which solved the problem.

Our 2009 Tiguan has the 200 horsepower 2.0 L, 4-cylinder, in-line, turbocharged engine with a 6 speed 4-motion automatic transmission. The vehicle is rated for 998 kilograms or roughly 2200 lbs. so we’re pretty much pushing the limit for what the vehicle is rated when we’re towing the 171.

Towing on the four lane at 110 km/hr (70 mph), the vehicle handles the trailer very well, however, fuel consumption goes way up, and you definitely have to switch to manual shifting mode on the transmission. For those of you who have ever been to the Maritimes, you’ll know about our rolling hills (that we call mountains) here in Nova Scotia. The car/trailer handles these very well, and I would recommend staying under 100 km./hr (60 mph), just because the fuel consumption is so much better.

Linda and I like to stay on the secondary highways so the speed thing isn’t a problem, and best mileage is obtained at 80 to 90 km. / hr. (50 to 55 mph).  The last trip we made was about two hundred miles and the cars computer showed us averaging 17.8 miles per gallon. This was pulling some pretty heavy hills on the Glooscap Trail.

The car is very responsive and passing isn’t an issue with the trailer behind it. I like the narrower design of the trailer, with the fenders outboard of the body, and find that my regular vehicle side mirrors are more than adequate for seeing behind.

I like how you can park the trailer in those tight little spots that you would normally have to pass by with a larger trailer.

Our last RV was a 32 foot class ‘A’ motor home. While it was very comfortable, we always felt a little conspicuous pulling into a camping spot with smaller tents and tent trailers around. We used to get that “God, I hope he’s not going to park that thing there” gaze as we drove by.

The R-pod is a very classy looking little RV that really stands out when you pull it into a campground, yet has the appearance that isn’t intimidating to the campers next door. It’s welcoming size and unique paint scheme compliments just about any vehicle it’s towed behind.

You’re all correct about attracting attention. Everyone wants to have a look inside when I tell them there’s a shower, dinette, and a queen size bed in it!

Snooper
geneowens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geneowens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 7:52am
Snooper,
Your reported MPGs is the best I've seen for anyone towing a Pod. I guess your math is right, right????? I found my best MPGs with my Tundra was using the manual shift mode as well but that was only 12 to maybe 13.
kevang1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevang1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 9:33am
2005 Nissan Crew Cab 4.0 V6.
Snooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2009 at 11:46am
Hi Gene.
The MPG that I quoted was in Imperial Gallons, so without doing the math, I'd say that would probably work out to about 12 MPG U.S.

Doug
Snooper
throttle96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 12:26pm

2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. 4 liter V-6. Automatic. 2wd. Class 2 hitch. I love our Sport Trac. Half truck , half sport utility. It pulls our RP-175 just fine, even with a load of split wood in the bed.

Bigbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 4:12pm
My tow vehicle is a 2009 Buick Enclave CXL FWD with 3.8L V6, tow package.  Here's a pic:

The two vehicles are well matched.  The R-Pod is comfortably within the tow range of the Enclave (4500 lb), and the weight (4700 lb) and length of the Enclave make it a very stable tow rig.  I've had no need for a sway bar or WDH and I've taken the pair through 60 mph + wind gusts and towed the trailer up to 7200 feet altitude.
Regards,

Bigbit

2010 Trailmanor Elkmont
Tow Vehicle: 2009 Buick Enclave CXL (Cliffy)
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 4:46pm
Just this summer started towing with my 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid.   If hybrid computer thing is to be believed. 
12mpg average at 55 on flat road while towing.
18-20mpg when driving 30-40 on back roads.
Got 8mpg climbing a 6% grade and 34mpg coasting down the back side. :)
27-30mpg driving around down when not towing.

3.3L engine in hybrid is only 200Hp, which "feels" a bit underpowered.    Tried towing the pod with a neighbors 3.5L non-hybrid and you don't "feel" the trailer load as much at highway speeds.    Unlike the regular highlander, the hybrid is basically a FWD vehicle (gas/electric on front) and electric only to the back (no mechanical connection to engine from back wheels).     Rear axel motors are high torque but generally low RPM, so they help you get going and make you accelerate strong from a stop.  But rear axel/motors doesn't appear to do anything much at highway speed.   So off the line vehicle has about 270HP, but about 40MPH you can feel the drop in power as rear electrics turn off, which is also about the point where the pod starts building its wind resistance.

Good handling, starting and stopping.   Regenerative breaking makes driving in hills much less work then pulling with my pickup.   Just downshift to "B" and don't even have to touch brake pedal going down hill.   Would recommend a WDH with this setup, to help make sure you keep good weight on front wheels where the power it put to the road.  Keeps vehicle from getting squirrely on bumpy or ice roads.
retired Roxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retired Roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 6:50am
Just got back from Yosemite last night. I tow my 172 behind a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 5.2 liter engine which came with a tow package and up country suspension and I recently added a trans. oil cooler.
I drove 400 miles in one day to get there
Climbing my computer said I got 5 mpg.
Downhill with the cruise control on was 16-17 or so mpg.
Without the cruise control I took my foot off the excellerator pedal and would hit 30-40 mpg. Cruise control would keep trying to keep me at 55-60 and 'coasting' my milage was great! As soon as I tapped the pedal when I needed a little speed my gas milage DROPPED!
Going I avg. 9 mpg. Haven't checked my coming home amount yet.

I avg 14+ mpg in the jeep, pulling the trailer-9mpg. So would I say "I used 40 % more gasoline, lost 40 %, paid 40% more for gas?

Roxy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 40>
  Share Topic