r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 40>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 7:20am
Roxy
I would conclude from all the data you collected that you 100% enjoyed the trip and 100% enjoyed your r pod .  So the conclusion is, the rest is pretty much irrelevant.
Glad you had a good trip and somewhere down the line I hope to pick your brains about the important aspects of your trip.
Post some details and pictures. Please.

Sandpiper
Mrs.'Piper
Ford 150-[Mini Lite 2104S]
Lissie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lissie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 7:50am
I am going to use my new Beast (2010 Toyota Sequioa) to pull the r-pod.
Lissie
Owner of Polly-pod
nemebean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nemebean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 6:09am
Originally posted by Snooper Snooper wrote:

Our 2009 Tiguan has the 200 horsepower 2.0 L, 4-cylinder, in-line, turbocharged engine with a 6 speed 4-motion automatic transmission. The vehicle is rated for 998 kilograms or roughly 2200 lbs. so we’re pretty much pushing the limit for what the vehicle is rated when we’re towing the 171.

I don't really want to get into this discussion again, but I feel like it needs to be pointed out that with a 2200 lb tow rating you're way over the limit with a 171.  The 2100 and change weight listed for the 171 is the dry weight, which means no water and no propane.  Just adding those puts you around 300 lbs over weight, and that's before you add any gear or extra passengers in the vehicle.  It sounds like you're doing okay anyway, but personally I wouldn't tow that far over the rating.
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 10:06am
Ford F150 for now but will be getting the towing package on our SUV (didn't realize it didn't come with it until we took the plate off at the rpod dealer- boy, not a good surprise when you expect something to be there after driving 600 miles and it's not!) which will then be rated to 5000 lbs.
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
pepperpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepperpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 10:08am
How wll does the F 150 pull?  What kind of gas mileage do you get?  We are planning to use ours we we get the pod.
Pepperpod
Pepper,Coach,and Henry (a very brave little Maltese)
R Pod 172

The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbor...unknown
Tusten Traveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tusten Traveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 10:30am
John thinks it pulls really well and throughout every trip says he "hardly knows it's back there" with no change in power or braking. We have no electric brakes on the truck (we did have them placed on the SUV) and no sway bars either. Just hook up and go. Works great and the only reason we are changing to the SUV is so we can secure some of our belongings better.

We get about 12 mpg on the open road.
John and Linda
One 14 lb Cockapoo
2010 RPod 174
boldham View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boldham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 10:47am

02 Ford Explorer Sporttrac with V6 4.0 liter with automatic transmission. The truck can barely get out of its own way, so hauling a camper into the mountains (>9000 feet) requires patience. On the flats, it does fine.

J233 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J233 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 9:54am
Glad to hear about your experience; I have a Saturn Outlook XR AWD with tow package   and wondered how it would tow the Rpod. A few questions:

1. Do you use tow/houl button ?
2. If not, do you keep it on D or you use Triptonic option ?
3. What is your overall mileage while towing? When I tow my current TT (21 long, 8 wide) I get 11 mpg.....

J233
J233 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J233 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 9:59am
Apologies...my message was intended as a reply to a message from Bigbit, posted on Oct 04....
Bigbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 10:31am
Originally posted by J233 J233 wrote:

Glad to hear about your experience; I have a Saturn Outlook XR AWD with tow package   and wondered how it would tow the Rpod. A few questions:

1. Do you use tow/houl button ?
2. If not, do you keep it on D or you use Triptonic option ?
3. What is your overall mileage while towing? When I tow my current TT (21 long, 8 wide) I get 11 mpg.....

J233
Saw in your next post that your questions were directed at me.

1. Yes, I use the tow button religiously.

2. Most times I leave the transmission in drive. I downshift into low and control gears manually only when making steep declines.

3. My overall mileage when towing is about 11 to 13 mpg. This compares to 17 mpg city/highway and 22 mpg highway when not towing.

By the way, I do not have AWD, I have FWD only.

I'm pretty happy with my towing experiences so far. I have not found the need for a weight distributing hitch or an anti-sway bar.

Regards,

Bigbit

2010 Trailmanor Elkmont
Tow Vehicle: 2009 Buick Enclave CXL (Cliffy)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 40>
  Share Topic