r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 40>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSAJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 3:20pm
We are (actually will be) pulling with a 2011 Toyota Highlander. It has a 3.5L v-6 rated at 270hp. We got it with the factory towing package that includes oiler, cooler transmission cooler, and oversize radiator with 2nd fan. Having the receiver, and wiring done this week.

Off to the Napa valley for our first trip this weekend. I'll let you know how the milage goes.

Jim & Carmen - San Jose, CA
r-pod 177 and V-6 Highlander
RSMarasco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSMarasco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 8:41pm
I pull my Rpod 174 with a Ford Escape 2009.  We have driven it to Maine the year we got it.  This year we went west to Yellowstone,  Jackson Hole and Estes Park.  Took our time over the mountians but had no problems.  Have a class 3 hitch and a Weight Distribution Hitch which help a great deal when towing.
jmalys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmalys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 4:47pm
Well so far, my wife's 2002 Acura MDX has pulled our 172 about 500 miles.  Worked great, no problems at all, felt very stable at highway speed, stoped very well.  This was with a WDH and sway bar though. 

My vehicle (a 2006 Honda Ridgeline) has not pulled it yet, but that will be the primary TV next season.  I have a feeling it will be even more effortless with the Ridgeline.  Similar engines in our vehicles but the Ridgeline is wider, longer wheelbase, bigger brakes, and lower gears in the axles.  I can't wait until the spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
172, 2006 Honda Ridgeline TV

jmalys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmalys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 4:51pm
Oh by the way, on that 500 mile trip the MDX got 11MPG.  Hopefully the Ridgeline will manage slightly better!!
172, 2006 Honda Ridgeline TV

sylviablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sylviablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 7:26pm
We gpt 12 mpg with our Nissan Frontier, better on more flat roads.  We do not drive fast and that helps with your mpg.  We plan to add a topper to our tow vehicle which should help a tiny bit more.
Looking for spoiler for the Pod and have some leads on that. 
In the end there's just a song comes cryin up the night

Phil H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 7:41pm
We also get 12 mpg with our V8 powered Avalanche - it doesn't seem to matter what you tow it with, everyone gets about 11 or 12. The only difference is the stress level on the engine.

Btw the MDX, Ridgeline and Pilot are all derivatives of the Odyssey minivan. Same floor plan (chassis) and engine whether fwd or awd, made on the same assembly line in the same factory in Alliston, Ontario, so the difference in mileage will be negligable.
2010 R-pod 171 (sold)
2010 Surveyor SV251 towed by a 2010 Chevrolet Avalanche
buddychance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddychance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 10:01pm
Our new tow is a 2009 Ford Flex towing our RP 177. First run will be this Friday. We'll let you know..
Had towed with our 06 Ford Ranger SC 4X4 4.0L. It did fine but worked hard....
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 10:41pm

We get about 14 if I take it easy or about 12 if I go nuts.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
kmcmurph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmcmurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 1:58am
Because of the amount we haul in gear and dogs, we use an 04 Expedition, with the 5.4L engine.

I like the bigger TV, because three of our dogs weigh 450 lbs, plus us and all the dogs gear for showing, so we lean towards the bigger V8.

Karl
Karl, Kerri and the hounds:: 5.4L '04 Expedition:: 2010 177
Skooterpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skooterpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 10:58am
Our Ridgeline does great towing the 177. Big smile I've gotten as low as 8mpg trying to maintain 70 on the interstate with a/c running, and as much as 12 on the backroads at 55 without a/c. 

The Ridgeline is geared more for towing and load hauling than the Pilot or Odyssey.  We researched the Pilot before buying the RL.  Downside is, the RL has lower rated mpg than the Pilot or Odyssey.  (15/20 Ridgeline vs 17/23 Pilot vs 19/28 Odyssey)

I've read on some forums the Ridgeline engine is not the same 3.5 as the Pilot and Odyssey, but I'm not sure this is true.  

For towing power, torque is more important than horsepower.  Big tractor trailer rigs only have about the same horsepower as a Corvette, but the torque they produce is astronomical.  (2000 ft/lbs or more).  Think of it as swinging a big sledgehammer versus a lightweight finishing hammer.  You can swing the light hammer faster, but it ain't gonna drive a railroad spike no matter how fast you swing it.

We all want 40 mpg towing a 5,000 lb trailer at 80mph through the mountains, right?  Smile
2011 RP-177
2010 Honda Ridgeline RTL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 40>
  Share Topic