r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 40>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Kenn Kenn wrote:

I was thinking about an F-550 with a WDH. I would like to make sure that I have enough towing capability to pull the 176 in any situation.

You forgot sway control, thanks for the laugh.
LOL 
Heinrich and Elly

2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
Prime Time Tracer 205 M
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 3:30pm
Greetings one and all,

Hope to join the POD Nation soon.

Trying to find out if any members here are pulling there pod with a Jeep 
wrangler unlimited, Auto trans 3:73 gears,trans cooler. V6 3.8 engine?

Thanks in advance WWR
PWRLIFT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PWRLIFT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 3:01pm
Been reading a lot of the post.  Just joined last week.  My TV is a 2006 Ford F150 SuperCrew longbed 4x4 with the 5.4 Triton.  No problems.  The truck is as long as the camper.  LOL
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 11:44am
We have been pulling our 2011 model 177 with a class 2 hitch no problemo.  The only thing I would greatly suggest is an anti-swaybar mechanism unless your TV has a long wheelbase.  The first few trips we took in Northern Michigan were uneventful.  However a few weeks ago we encountered some strong cross-winds (25+ mph) and had a scary time with a weaving pod behind us unless we kept it under 45 mph.  Our TV is a 2008 Ford Explorer and since we had the anti-sway added, we have had no problems even under windy conditions.  The total cost including installation was only $ 125.00/ well worth the investment you are pulling behind you.  You will find other posts on this topic under a different thread.

2011 model 177
2008 Ford Explorer
God's Pod

'11 model 177

'13 Ford Explorer

Jim & Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
brods365 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brods365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 3:24pm
Is anyone pulling with a Ford Ranger? 4WD, auto trans, 4.0L. I'm looking at one. How does it pull and what kind of MPG? Now am using a Pontiac Aztek for 3 years. A little tough on the hills and in wind. 3500 lb. pulling with tow pkg. The Ford should be 5600 lb towing.
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by brods365 brods365 wrote:

Is anyone pulling with a Ford Ranger? 4WD, auto trans, 4.0L. I'm looking at one. How does it pull and what kind of MPG? Now am using a Pontiac Aztek for 3 years. A little tough on the hills and in wind. 3500 lb. pulling with tow pkg. The Ford should be 5600 lb towing.

Skip the Ranger and go straight to the F-150. For a little bit more, but you'll have better towing, more room, and when you upgrade, you'll be set.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
brods365 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brods365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 4:57pm
I would love an F-150, but Ford is discontinuing the Ranger and has huge rebates on it. I can pick one up for about 12K less than a 150. After my trade it will be about 10K. So will it tow OK?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 5:05pm
Ford Ranger Forum - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource You might find answers here.
WWR
WWRon,2012 RP177 HRE "Eye Pod",2010 Ford F-150 4x4
9/11 Never Forget.
NRA Life Member, Amsoil dealer www.lubedealer.com/wallawallaron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 5:09pm
Do you plan on  up grading to a larger TT or 5ER ?  I would go to the FORD forum and ask there.
It may not be worth the extra 10K.  Full size used might be another way to go.
WWRon,2012 RP177 HRE "Eye Pod",2010 Ford F-150 4x4
9/11 Never Forget.
NRA Life Member, Amsoil dealer www.lubedealer.com/wallawallaron
pentachris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pentachris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 9:34am
I pulled my 177 two or three times with my '97 Ranger. I don't have the manual handy, so all this is based on recollection, don't hold me to it...

My owner's manual lists about 40 different towing capacities for the '97 Ranger depending on your cab, engine size, 2WD vs 4WD, transmission type and gear ratio. I think they ranged from "don't tow" to 7000 lbs or more. I've got a super cab, 4L 6-cyl, 2WD manual transmission and the smallest rear end gear ratio you can get in that configuration. I think I was rated for 2200 lbs. IIRC, there was a 4 cylinder that was rated to tow more than my truck. And IIRC none of them are rated to tow the R-Pod because of the frontal area of they pod.

I'd like to try it again on a short trip (less than 30 miles) because now that I've got a tachometer in my truck I think I could manage gears better. But that would be just for experimentation's sake; on the trips I did before with it, my Ranger was working VERY hard.

If you're dead set on considering it, look carefully at all the specs, including the rear end gear ratio, before deciding to buy a Ranger as a TV for a pod.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 40>
  Share Topic