r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 40>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 9:42am
^ + 1  Well said.
WWRon,2012 RP177 HRE "Eye Pod",2010 Ford F-150 4x4
9/11 Never Forget.
NRA Life Member, Amsoil dealer www.lubedealer.com/wallawallaron
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote this_is_nascar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by pentachris pentachris wrote:

I pulled my 177 two or three times with my '97 Ranger. I don't have the manual handy, so all this is based on recollection, don't hold me to it...

My owner's manual lists about 40 different towing capacities for the '97 Ranger depending on your cab, engine size, 2WD vs 4WD, transmission type and gear ratio. I think they ranged from "don't tow" to 7000 lbs or more. I've got a super cab, 4L 6-cyl, 2WD manual transmission and the smallest rear end gear ratio you can get in that configuration. I think I was rated for 2200 lbs. IIRC, there was a 4 cylinder that was rated to tow more than my truck. And IIRC none of them are rated to tow the R-Pod because of the frontal area of they pod.

I'd like to try it again on a short trip (less than 30 miles) because now that I've got a tachometer in my truck I think I could manage gears better. But that would be just for experimentation's sake; on the trips I did before with it, my Ranger was working VERY hard.

If you're dead set on considering it, look carefully at all the specs, including the rear end gear ratio, before deciding to buy a Ranger as a TV for a pod.

No Ford Ranger ever built had a 7000-lb towing capacity.  The most it had, I believe, is 6500-lbs.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road

furpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 6:51pm
http://www.ehow.com/facts_7621469_1997-ford-ranger-towing-capacity.html
Mark, Susie, Micah, and The Maggie.
'11 RP177(sold) '17 Lance 2295FurPodsMods
'17 Ford F250 CCSB
pentachris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pentachris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by this_is_nascar this_is_nascar wrote:

Originally posted by pentachris pentachris wrote:

I pulled my 177 two or three times with my '97 Ranger. I don't have the manual handy, so all this is based on recollection, don't hold me to it...

My owner's manual lists about 40 different towing capacities for the '97 Ranger depending on your cab, engine size, 2WD vs 4WD, transmission type and gear ratio. I think they ranged from "don't tow" to 7000 lbs or more. I've got a super cab, 4L 6-cyl, 2WD manual transmission and the smallest rear end gear ratio you can get in that configuration. I think I was rated for 2200 lbs. IIRC, there was a 4 cylinder that was rated to tow more than my truck. And IIRC none of them are rated to tow the R-Pod because of the frontal area of they pod.

I'd like to try it again on a short trip (less than 30 miles) because now that I've got a tachometer in my truck I think I could manage gears better. But that would be just for experimentation's sake; on the trips I did before with it, my Ranger was working VERY hard.

If you're dead set on considering it, look carefully at all the specs, including the rear end gear ratio, before deciding to buy a Ranger as a TV for a pod.

No Ford Ranger ever built had a 7000-lb towing capacity.  The most it had, I believe, is 6500-lbs.

I'm home with the manual now, and I was wrong on more than just that. The max listed for any '97 Ranger is 6000 lbs trailer, 9500 lbs GCWR, 50 ft^2 max frontal area.

There are 62, not 40, different configurations listed for the '97 Ranger, showing their various towing capacities.

My configuration lists a max of 1500 lbs trailer, 5000 GCWR, with a max frontal area equal to the frontal area of the truck. (The same configuration with an auto tranny is 2400 lbs, 6000 lbs & 50 ft^2 - I think they're mainly worried you're going to burn up the clutch). Again, I have a 4L 6cyl engine.

And I was correct - both configurations of 2.3L 4cyl engines with auto trannies have a higher trailer rating (2000 lbs or 2300 lbs depending on whether you have the regular edition or the "Splash" edition).

Things may have changed with the Ranger since '97. I'd be surprised if they hadn't. Point is, look past the engine size when you're looking to tow.
iamsmonk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamsmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 8:50pm
I had a '98 Ranger, 4.0 V6, 5 speed maunal transmission.  I could pull our 177 but would not attempt any moderate to major inclines.  Too much of a struggle and slows down too much to suit me.  4 weeks ago I traded the Ranger for a 2004 Dodge Dakota with a 4.7 V8, auto trans.  Our first trip pulling the pod will be this weekend and I'm sure I will be pleased with the upgrade.  I now have the capabilities of the F-150 with the size closer to my Ranger (which I dearly loved).  If I were you, I would re-consider using the Ranger as your tow vehicle unless you are going to stick to mostly flat terrain.  This isn't just my opinion, it's experience from a former Ranger owner.
Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Tanner & Jay
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177
www.smonk.net

Let's go camping!
Richard b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 5:10pm
  Just completed our first trip with the 2011 181-G  pulled by our Volvo XC60 (2011).  57 days, 8000 miles through the four Canadian Maritime Provinces - 4 ferry crossings, including to fantastic Newfoundland for 3 weeks.
The Volvo has 300 hp, and a trailer stability computer-control module that with the E2 hitch and weight-distribution bars made pulling a dream, even on rough roads. The volvo radar-adjusted cruise control worked to keep us at 57 mph or slower behind traffic, smoothly shifting through the six gears up and down 2500 foot climbs on Cape Breton and over 3000 miles of Newfoundland adventures, from ice-bergs to moose. Sometimes I did not have to touch gas or brake for over 100 miles - as the computer/radar did it all, even on the trailer.  A dream tow package with the Tekonsha wireless prodigy unit that solved the problem of fussy European cars not liking electric brake wiring.  Up to 4 days of dry-camping with the large water capacity, dual batteries (even using furnace), and lots of fridge use was easy, with BBQ salmon, or haddock and fresh lobster for dinner, followed by DVDs on TV to unwind, all on battery.  With electric hook-ups we baked lots of fresh breakfast bread in the convention oven using local blueberries and partridge berries - yummm!   Gas mileage fell from 23 to 13.5 for the 8000 miles but was more than made up for by the lack of hotel bills and big dinner tabs for mediocre food and slow service.  What a trip!  For anyone interested there are lots of r-pod and travel pics on my blog:  richardbumgarner.blogstpot.com which displays uTube linked pics and captions as well. 
After we clean up a bit we will be off again!!!
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 7:16pm
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great adventure. Can you post a link to see your pictures?
WWR
9/11 Never Forget.
NorCalCouple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorCalCouple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 12:45pm
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L V6
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 2:23pm
^ Nice looking set up.
Welcome to the farm.
WWR
9/11 Never Forget.
kymooses View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymooses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by wallawallaron wallawallaron wrote:

^ Nice looking set up.
Welcome to the farm.
WWR

I agree, very nice looking.  I am in love with the new shapes of the Grand Cherokees now.  I want a new Jeep!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 40>
  Share Topic