r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 40>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2009 at 6:44pm
We have a BMW X3... Our was delivered on Easter!!!
Happy r trails to you.... until we meet AGAIN!!!

2005 BMW X3
2009 R-pod 171
Prodigy RF
Linda Faust View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda Faust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 6:31pm
We have a 173 and pull with a 2009 Rav4 AWD V6 with factory tow package.  Gas milage dropped from 24 to 8.5 mpg. Wink We were going 65 mph and are going to keep it under 55 mph next time.  I hope that helps.  It pulled it easily though, great pick up.  We are rated to pull 3500 lbs.  Linda
RPod 171 Rav 4
Happy Camping, Ted, Linda & our labradorable Gracie
CheriMo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CheriMo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2009 at 9:43am
I have a Ford Escape Hybrid. We're hoping that the Escape can pull the rPod but according to Ford the Escape Hybrid is not rated to tow anything. We're going to do as much research as possible to figure out what could go wrong if we tried to tow an rPod with the hybrid engine. Does anyone else have any information about what could go wrong or what the possible issues could be for the hybrid engine and CVT transmission if you tried to tow an rPod?
Cheri and George
plus the corgi crew
Dudley and Taffy
joe&carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe&carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 3:30am
We pulled a 173 some 1200 miles from Ohio back to Colorado using a Chevrolet ZR-2, 2-dr Blazer.  It has 6 cyl, is an automatic and is rated at 4700 lbs for towing. Because of the mountain altitudes, in the back of my mind, I've deducted 20% or 940 lbs to get a tow rating of 3760 lbs.  At any rate, in coming back from Ohio, it seemed to pull hard at times, especially on long, steeper climbs and when driving into headwinds.  The mileage on the Blazer dropped in half from 20 mpg to 9-10 for the duration of the 1200 mile trip.  With the automatic, I never attempted to use the overdrive gear and just left it in 3rd. (In overdrive, it was constantly wanting to go to a lower gear anyway.)

At this point, the jury is still out, so to speak.  We've now had the Blazer tuned up and had a transmission cooler installed.  We already had a factory installed Class III hitch, but went ahead and had an equalizer put on the R-Pod tow bar as it does wonders in leveling everything.  We now need to take another lengthy trip to see what effect, if any, these modifications have.  We won't get a chance to do that for several weeks.
wbillar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbillar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 3:36am
I am using a Chevy 1500 extended cab truck.  It has a a small V-8, with the towing package and pulls the trailer alright but my mileage has gone down to about 10 mi/gal. 
Bill
TerryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 5:05am
When a manufacturer rates a vehicle for towing there are a lot of factors used.  Not the engine so much but gearing, brakes, what a tow bar is hooked to, type of transmission etc. 

If you do tow the camper you MAY void your warranty also.

Terry
Mark & Shelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark & Shelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2009 at 12:00pm
We tow ours with a 1998 Ford Explorer 6 cyl. We get about 8-10 MPG depending on the terrain.
Mark & Shelle, Mt Airy, MD
K_Mac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K_Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2009 at 8:06pm
2008 Mercury Mariner V6 FWD.  I averaged about 11 mpg on the maiden voyage.
4peas in a Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4peas in a Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 2:27pm
We will be pulling our 172 with a 2008 Toyota Sienna minivan! Wink  It has a factory tow package rated to pull 3500 pounds and a V6 engine!  Tomorrow we are going to get the hitch and the electric brake controller put on.
Evan and Jodie
Rpod 172 coming soon!
Our tow: 2008 Toyota Sienna
tabkld93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabkld93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2009 at 1:22pm
_popupControl(); Is anyone pulling the R-Pod with a VW Touareg?

We just bought a 2008 V6 that is rated to tow an amazing 7700lbs, but I don't believe it.

It has 280hp and 4 wheel disc brakes, but that is a lot of weight.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 40>
  Share Topic