r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 40>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 9:10am
On anticipation of ordering a 171 in the spring,  I contacted Reese Hitches customer support and inquired if I needed a WDH.  Our tow vehicle will be a 2005 Chev. Tahoe rated to pull 7,500 lbs.  I am comfortable with capabilities of the Tahoe to tow a small trailer.  In talking with customer support, their suggestion was that if when attaching your trailer to your tow vehicle, your cars rear sags, then a WDH is certainly in order.  Other web sites have suggested if your trailer weighs more than 50% of your tow vehicles weight than a WDH is also recommended.  Reese did suggest a Standard Friction Sway Control for our setup, if swaying became a problem.  Cost is about $50 plus installation.  For anyone with concerns about towing and a WDH I would certainly suggest calling Reese's Tech Dept and get informed.  They can be reached at (800) 521-0510.  Ask specifically for Tech Support.  Hope that helps.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 lb.) Mini Dachshund
2013 Rpod 171HRE (Pods-of-Luck)
2005 Chev. Tahoe
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Footslogger03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 1:04pm
I am pulling a 2012 model 177 HRE with a 2011 Toyota Tacoma 4dr/Short bed with a LEER hard cap. 6 speed standard transmission. It has a 6500 lb tow rating. Seems to tow the Pod well without a WDH.

MJ
marc515 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marc515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 1:08pm
There are many vehicles that will pull fine without a WDH, but one point of interest that convinced us to get one is it may help to prevent loss of control in a sudden stop or skidding. Maybe a sway control will do the same for the larger tow capacity vehicles?
Best Regards,.....Marc & Joan
And....Tucker (our yellow lab)
2011 Heartland MPG-181
2011 Nissan Pathfinder
USMC 69-73
God Bless all our Men & Women in Uniform
nemebean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nemebean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 1:28pm
I had some issues getting my WDH installed at first so I had to tow it 500 miles home without.  Was okay until I hit a gravel road, and at that point I like to say my steering became more a suggestion than a command.  Plus once I got the WDH properly adjusted I seem to get less porpoising while towing.  It's kind of a hassle, but if you're towing with a smaller vehicle I'd recommend one.
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 2:33pm
My F-550 is on order with a flatbed. That way I never have to tow the POD again. I'll just load it on the flatbed and save on the WDH and sway control stuff. I'm getting a winch and tilt bed for when I get to campsites.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Kenn Kenn wrote:

My F-550 is on order with a flatbed. That way I never have to tow the POD again. I'll just load it on the flatbed and save on the WDH and sway control stuff. I'm getting a winch and tilt bed for when I get to campsites.

"And that folks is the rest of the story".

WWR

WWRon,2012 RP177 HRE "Eye Pod",2010 Ford F-150 4x4
9/11 Never Forget.
NRA Life Member, Amsoil dealer www.lubedealer.com/wallawallaron
Marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 3:55pm
I am pulling my pod with a 3/4 ton HD silverado, I would'nt tow the trailer anywhere without a WDH. The ball where your trailer hooks on to reacts like a hinge, so there for you have up and down bouncing especialy with a single axel trailer. I sure like my EQUAL-I-ZER Hitch.
If you want something done right, do it yourself!

2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra Limited 5.7 Litre
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Footslogger03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 6:39pm
Geesh    ...y'all are making me think I should consider a hitch stabilizer !

MJ
tdrace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 7:04pm
I tow with a 2010 Ford f-150. It feels more stable with the wdh. Equalizer e-2
I would not tow without it.
Theresa's Seaside Cowgirl
2010 FORD F150 V-8
2010 R-POD 173
Sisters on the Fly #1569
jeanelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 3:16pm
We just made our first trip with our 177' towed by our 2002 Toyota Tacoma. We went from Denver
To San Diego and back. Our average mpg was 13. Husband wished that we had a little more power on the inclines, there may be a new Toyota in our future. Had a great time, and gave several open house tours to curious folks at the campgrounds.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 40>
  Share Topic