r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 40>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 10:22am
Although when we're pulling the r-pod I sometimes wish we had a bigger tow vehicle (we use a Ford Ranger), I have to weigh that with the fact that we only tow for 4-5 camping trips a year, and the truck has to be driven to work 5 days a week the rest of the time when we're NOT camping.  Smaller vehicles are generally less expensive to operate and insure, and we are a one-income family whose funds are modest by American standards.  We never even drive the pod out of state, and we don't live in the mountains - most of our driving is in the plains or in areas with small rolling hills, which the Ranger handles fine.  Usually our trips are a 2-hour drive or less, because we can't afford the gasoline for longer trips on a teacher's salary anyway.  LOL  So for us, the smaller vehicle is the best choice for now, even though I'll admit that when we tried to tow on some big hills in the Ozarks down by Branson, I was wishing for more muscle.  ;)
I'd rather be Podding. :)
MandB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MandB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 10:25am
I understand. One of the household incomes here is from teaching. The great thing about the R-Pod is the fact that it is acceptable for so many different vehicles to tow it and it isn't a pop-up. 
Kenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 1:17pm
If you get an F-450 [or bigger] flatbed, you can just strap the POD on the flatbed and NEVER have to tow it anywhere. This eliminates trailer sway, wear and tear on the RPOD and any weight restrictions one may have with regards to carrying stuff. It also saves you on a sway bar/WDH system that you may have to use. You can even tow a boat behind the truck and not have to worry about triple trailer restrictions.

2010 RPOD 176 (Silly-POD), 2011 Forest River Stealth 2612, and 2014 Forest River XLR 380AMP
mcbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 1:28pm
When we bought our vehicle we were towing a tent trailer and the 3800lb towing rating of a Chrysler Town and Country was great.  The van met all of our needs for transporting kids, family, animals and stuff, you've got to love a vehicle that can move 7 people or 4 x 8 sheets of plywood.  When we bought our Pod we quickly realized that although the van is rated to tow the Pod, it is out of it's league.  The suspension is so soft that as soon as we hook up we are riding low.  We cannot take any of the toys with us i.e. kayak or bikes, it's just too hard on the van.  The bike rack is located on the front of the trailer and puts too much weight on the hitch, so the rack sits empty.  The van can get us to local parks within 3 hours of home, but that is so limiting.  Needless to say we are in the market for a truck so we can travel and fully enjoy our Pod.
the SCOOBY shack

(don't let your 4 yr old name the pod)
MandB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MandB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Kenn Kenn wrote:

If you get an F-450 [or bigger] flatbed, you can just strap the POD on the flatbed and NEVER have to tow it anywhere. This eliminates trailer sway, wear and tear on the RPOD and any weight restrictions one may have with regards to carrying stuff. It also saves you on a sway bar/WDH system that you may have to use. You can even tow a boat behind the truck and not have to worry about triple trailer restrictions.

Yep, you wouldn't have to worry about the R-Pod sewer outlet being lower than the campground sewer inlet as well. You would probably see better or equal mileage compared to much smaller trucks, but you had better watch that second step down... it's a doozey. Of course you could always strap a couple of them for a big family on the back of a flatbed train car or put one on a barge for a waterfront view. It is a very versatile travel trailer. I know you are being facitious, but exaggerating a point doesn't necessarily make it.  
MandB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MandB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by mcbird mcbird wrote:

When we bought our vehicle we were towing a tent trailer and the 3800lb towing rating of a Chrysler Town and Country was great.  The van met all of our needs for transporting kids, family, animals and stuff, you've got to love a vehicle that can move 7 people or 4 x 8 sheets of plywood.  When we bought our Pod we quickly realized that although the van is rated to tow the Pod, it is out of it's league.  The suspension is so soft that as soon as we hook up we are riding low.  We cannot take any of the toys with us i.e. kayak or bikes, it's just too hard on the van.  The bike rack is located on the front of the trailer and puts too much weight on the hitch, so the rack sits empty.  The van can get us to local parks within 3 hours of home, but that is so limiting.  Needless to say we are in the market for a truck so we can travel and fully enjoy our Pod.

I'm not going to discourage you, but there are suspension modifications you can probably make to the T&C fairly inexpensively that might improve the ride considerably. The difference between the GVWR and curb weight on a typical T&C is around 1300 pounds. That is actually an amazing amount. It about 300 pounds less than let's say a Toyota Tundra. I'm no expert, but there should be a way to load the trailer, put some bikes up front and not feel like your gas tank is rubbing on the ground. 
Hayduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 6:06pm
Towing with an '05 Tacoma.  V6 with 6 spd. manual transmission.  Has done really well so far.  Not going to send any land speed records of course.  And I've been getting what seems like the requisite 10-12 mpg.
2012 177
2005 Tacoma Double Cab
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butterfly_Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Butterfly_Lee Butterfly_Lee wrote:

Anyone Towing with a Yukon?   Do you use the Tow Mode? Book says it's for heavy loads (is the RPOD considered Heavy?)  Just recently got an Yukon XL and I'm used to shifting on my own.   Wondering if it wouldn't be better just to use a lower gear.

LeeStar

OHHHHHH, I think we got off topic.  I was asking about Tow Mode and shifting because it's a new vehicle for me!
I just cut a big explanation of why I went with the Yukon XL, with it 5.3L engine,  for my tow vehicle. My CHOICE (PM if you have a question), and THANKS to those who support my new TV.   

Back to the TOW Mode thing, for those of you who have the larger TV's.

LeeStar
Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
MandB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MandB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 6:52pm
I can only speak from the point of view of the Tundra. I tried using tow mode and turning it off and didn't see much of a difference. I'm still experimenting with it, but I don't think it is designed (in the Toyota case) for towed vehicles as light as the R-Pod. 
Alex&Marie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex&Marie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 9:50pm
pardon the dumb question but what is "tow mode"
Alex and Marie
2012 R-pod 177, 2006 Toyota Tundra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 40>
  Share Topic