r-pod Nation Homepage R-Pod Travel Trailers At Jeff Couchs RV Nation
Forum Home Forum Home > Forest River r-pod > r-pod Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats pulling your RPod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 40>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfoster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 9:49pm

I bought a Rpod 172 last Summer - I hoped to find my 3.5 6 cylinder Isuzu up to the task. The Isuzu was an Axiom (glorified Trooper). It was "able" but just did not feel good, I used oil and had to run at about 3600 rpm at highway speeds of 55-60 mph.  Big hills were daunting but doable - did not inspire good vibe.   I was poor and elated to have a camper ā€“ no more sweating in the dirt for me. I did a lot of 200 - 300 miles trips in ND, and MT.    This winter I made the plunge traded off my Isuzu for a Dodge/ram 1500.  I kinda went nuts and got a Hemi 5.7.  The reason to my madness . . . .  When you hook up almost anything to a small vehicle V-6 you mpg goes straight to hell - for me cut in half.  I was getting maybe 17 w no trailer and 8-11 with.  My Ram gets about the same 18-ish no trailer and I have yet to see what with trailer - but I'm guessing it will be better than with my Isuzu.  Hoping for 11-13. Definitely know the pulling vibe will be better, hills - no sweat. I had bumper envy - you know the lustful look at a truck hitch that says "I like to pull "   - nervous laugher ā€“ you know what Iā€™m saying. Learning to date:  you can pull a light trailer with almost anything and if you have no money for bigger rig - I feel ya - do what you have to.  For shorter trips keep the trailer light - on relatively flat geography - put it in third gear - run at 3500 rpm and drive 55.  The real killer is head winds - I expected that, but side winds are just about as bad for mileage. Low profile (?)- the RPOD is actually pretty tall and side winds diminish aerodynamics. Pay your dues at the gas pump, make it work the best you can.  I know that some folks out there do fine with the small V6 ā€“ mine just was not fully up to the task.   As Americans we can moan all we want - but if these are the issues we fret about - how blessed are we!

See you on the highway (or at the gas pump).

GaRedneck81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaRedneck81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 7:23pm
After bringing home our 172, I decided to weigh it at the local truck scales before filling it with all my stuff. It came in at over 600 lbs. heavier than the listed weight.  Inquiring at my dealer as to an answer; they stated that the POD's listed weight was minus the "extras"; A/C, refrigerator, microwave, tv/dvd player. That might explain why folks are feeling their tow vehicles are not up to the task of towing the POD....
GaRedneck81
U.S.Navy-Retired
Heavy Chevy 5.7 liter
RP-172
Kennesaw, Ga.
MandB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MandB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 8:09pm
All water tanks were empty? If so that is a bit disturbing because there is only about 1000 pounds allowed for everything from water, waste to your belongings. 
wallawallaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wallawallaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by GaRedneck81 GaRedneck81 wrote:

After bringing home our 172, I decided to weigh it at the local truck scales before filling it with all my stuff. It came in at over 600 lbs. heavier than the listed weight.  Inquiring at my dealer as to an answer; they stated that the POD's listed weight was minus the "extras"; A/C, refrigerator, microwave, tv/dvd player. That might explain why folks are feeling their tow vehicles are not up to the task of towing the POD....

All the extras that you list should not weigh more then around 260# per the weights on the Forest River web site. Sounds like there was something else added.
Hope it works out for you.
WWR
WWRon,2012 RP177 HRE "Eye Pod",2010 Ford F-150 4x4
9/11 Never Forget.
NRA Life Member, Amsoil dealer www.lubedealer.com/wallawallaron
dfoster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfoster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 9:40pm
What kind of mileage with 5.7 Hemi - Ram,  I just upgraded to a Ram - can I hope for 12 mpg?
MandB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MandB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 11:02pm
Not a direct comparison, but with my 5.7 Toyota, 9.5-10 is all I see on average. the engine isn't direct injected which would help a small bit. I probably put 4000 miles on the truck last year pulling the R-Pod. I drive 60mph or less. 
sammycamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammycamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 11:14pm

That's not good news for any of us. According to the r-Pod brochure , the A/C would ad 95 lbs, a convection/microwave oven would add 51lbs, and the tv/dvd adds 7lbs. That adds up to 153lbs total. The refrigerator is standard equipment for the 172 and should be included in the advertised weight. Your camper shouldn't have weighed more than 200 lbs over than the listed. weight.

That's pretty deceiving.

Sam
Seanl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 11:35pm
The propane tank and battery is not included in the listed weight but all standard equipment is as far as I know.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition

sammycamper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammycamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 8:20am

I'm curious about how you weighed the camper. Did you disconnect it from your TV and weigh it alone, or was it possibly connected to your TV with a weight distribution hitch?

Sam
GaRedneck81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaRedneck81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 11:20pm
All by itself; water tanks empty. 
GaRedneck81
U.S.Navy-Retired
Heavy Chevy 5.7 liter
RP-172
Kennesaw, Ga.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 40>
  Share Topic